airports and CI

brownsugar

Reaction score
can anyone tell if my CI would beep at and airport im planing on flying for the first time since i have had my CI and was just wandering cause dont wont to set the the metal decotors off or get shoot at one lol:rifle:

I'm sure that you will be fine when in airport with CI but if bother with weird sounds then just turn off until airport is arrive then no big deal but batteries would going down rapidly because you are in loud environment like rock concert and airport.

can anyone tell if my CI would beep at and airport im planing on flying for the first time since i have had my CI and was just wandering cause dont wont to set the the metal decotors off or get shoot at one lol:rifle:
Hey, the first time I went to the airport with my CI last Aug 26th. No beeps at all. I walked thru the detectors with no problem. You will be fine!

I have a CI and I'm going overseas in 2 weeks time to the UK. Although most people report no problems with CIs and metal detectors I was told to ask for a manual scan just to be on the safe side. I also have a CI identity card to show to whoever wants to know.

Also I was told to tell the air steward on the plane that I have a CI because it is technically classified as a computer and computers aren't meant to be turned on during take off or landing due to possible interference to airline systems. Depending on the model of the plane (different planes are affected in varying degrees by the interference) the steward will either tell you that it's okay to leave it turned on or to turn it off.

Also I was told to tell the air steward on the plane that I have a CI because it is technically classified as a computer and computers aren't meant to be turned on during take off or landing due to possible interference to airline systems. Depending on the model of the plane (different planes are affected in varying degrees by the interference) the steward will either tell you that it's okay to leave it turned on or to turn it off.

That may be technically true, nobody ever bothered me when I flew not too long ago and I had my CI on the whole time. The only hassle was the security gig. They had to do the portable bodyscan route as opposed to walking through the machine. Very interesting to say the least and I'm glad I very seldom fly.

I fly VERY often.

99% of the time, I set off the metal detector. Some other people I've flown with who have implants do not. With that in mind, here's my routine:

Before getting in line for security:

1) Empty all pocket contents into your carry-on bags. This includes cell phones, keys, wallet, loose change, etc. Only carry your ID and boarding pass with you in your hands or pockets. WEAR your implant as normal.

2) After placing bags on the X-ray machines, once they go through, step through the metal detector. IF you set off the detector, notify the TSA person that you need to be wanded. They'll call for a screener of the same gender you are.
3) WATCH YOUR BAGS CLOSELY AT ALL TIMES. DO NOT LET THEM OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. FACE YOUR BAGS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. IF YOU'RE TRAVELING WITH SOMEONE, HAVE THEM HOLD YOUR BAGS FOR YOU.
4) The TSA person screening you will usually ask you which bags are yours and if no one is with you, they'll take them over to the security center near where you'll be wanded.
5) The TSA person will then proceed to wand you and hand pat you as necessary. When they're done, grab your bags and run!

That's it! You do NOT need to tell anyone else that you have an implant. The flight attendants, the pilots, they don't care. It's not gonna mess up the airplane if it's turned on during take off and landing.

Two more tips:

1) If you want to, tell the gate people that you're deaf and want to pre-board. The most common explanation I give is that I can't hear which group is boarding and it's better if I board first. They will absolutely take care of you.

They'll also tell you if your flight's delayed, and keep you up to date. Southwest is GREAT at this.

2) DO NOT PUT YOUR PROCESSOR THROUGH THE X-RAY MACHINE! Do NOT! If they insist, ask for a supervisor, because you do NOT want your programs to be erased!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Dennis. I will be going through 4 different international airports on my way to the UK so it's interesting advice. I might leave all my rings at home just to make it all more hassle free.

I've also got copies of my CI program on a USB compact flash drive just in case I accidently wipe them from the processor (unlikely but you never know).

I also will have a 3 year old child with me so that will make it even more interesting heh heh! I don't think that we will board the plane first though even though we can because she will die of boredom waiting for the plane to start moving. We are going to be travelling for 26 hours so the more time outside of the plane the better.

I also will have a 3 year old child with me so that will make it even more interesting heh heh! I don't think that we will board the plane first though even though we can because she will die of boredom waiting for the plane to start moving. We are going to be travelling for 26 hours so the more time outside of the plane the better.

26 hours ??!!!? Eeek !

I have a Suggestion for you to switch planes to the
NEW Boeing 747-8
Look at:
Boeing 747-8 Interior Video

Whenever you are on this particular Boeing 747-8 plane,
then you will feel as if it's only one hour flight instead of 26 hours ....
Agree with me, ugh ?

That was a very good question, and I was wondering the same thing myself

with my old version CI with long ago type of Metal dector it's hurt my head when i come thru.. but with a new tech mentor dector. i had play test and see if hurt or not.. none of them.. it's much improvement than before.

Everytime when I go in store, I always turn off sound both of my ha's. If I don't then it will make noise much louder very strong static sound than radio or tv. It would be the same thing at the airport.

strange.. i dont know cuz i never experience as i dont have CI..

but when it come to ha.. i had no plm going thru the metal detector with my ha on it didnt go off.. whew! :)

as for going in the store like Walmart those detector that will detect if someone stole something.. but anyway everytime i go in i can hear the buzz of the detector. its really annoying.. but i just ignored it.. :)

those used to make a beep when i went through when i was like 10 or 11 but last time it didnt beep at all
so i guess those metal detector improved big time

but what i really hate is hearing those things... i cant describe it but if i have C.I. it make a buzz sound in my head but no body else hear it and it alway have puzzled me. even at wal mart or movie store it still make that buzz sound whenever i have it on.

i dont know why i can hear it and i can see im not only one (thank god) even though smileygin have HA on and i didnt know people can hear that with HA but hearing ppl doesnt hear ir.

I just flew for the first time since getting my CI a couple weeks ago and had NO problem whatsoever. I had a letter from my Audie explaining my implant and that the CI if required to be checked, had to be done manually so not to wipe the programming. I didn't set off the metal detectors and everything went smoothly. In fact on my return trip, I was bumped up to first class! It was quite a treat, as I had never flown first class before and I've flown more than 100 times.

I just flew for the first time since getting my CI a couple weeks ago and had NO problem whatsoever. I had a letter from my Audie explaining my implant and that the CI if required to be checked, had to be done manually so not to wipe the programming. I didn't set off the metal detectors and everything went smoothly. In fact on my return trip, I was bumped up to first class! It was quite a treat, as I had never flown first class before and I've flown more than 100 times.

Awesome! I've never been in first class myself, and I have flown quite a few times!

Back