Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Thanks gnarly. I've been keeping track of what is going on in NOLA via democraticunderground for the past 4 days. Bush has proven that he is a complete walking DISASTER! Right now I was so surprised at reports of the Mainstream Media (CNN, FAUX News, MSNBC, et al) turn against Dumbya and criticizing his handling of the mess out in NOLA.

I found a video from MSNBC showing people at the Convention Center ranting about lack of food and water for the past 4 days.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=af26924b-f106-47a8-aae3-4e70f5eff2e4&t=m5&p=News_NBC News

DISCLAIMER: NO Closed Captioning available on the video link but it may be aired again on Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC. But look at the face of the people when they talked to the camerman.

Yeah, how tragic. Remmy in old history. Our forefathers already looted from America Natives in our proud land of U.S.A.

What can I say......

mld4ds said:
Yeah, how tragic. Remmy in old history. Our forefathers already looted from America Natives in our proud land of U.S.A.

What can I say......

Not my forefather. I don't come from a long line of Americans so I have no ties to American history whatsoever. Proud land of USA with crooks as forefathers? An interesting patriotic sentiment you got there. :)

The Spanish nobles did the same to South/Central America. Turks did the same to Greeks. Everybody did it. Even my forefathers which were Vikings.
:gives: The point is that we have changed since the old era where there were no law or order. We are not barbarians. We can condone and refrain ourselves. The loots are untolerated, imo, if it wasn't intended to survive (water, food, understandable.. but the beers in the picture kuifje posted-- totally wrong.)

And no need to repeat yourself twice. Message acknowledged. Don't be a postwhore.

Well the commies, out in China, did a BETTER job than Dumbya did for NOLA when it comes to hurricanes and typhoons. The Chinese evacuated 750,000 people before the typhoon Talim hit the coast of Fujian and Zhejiang provinces in Mainland China.

Only 3 dead and dozens injured compared to the huge toll from Katrina. The response from Chinese authorities were more professional than the idiots at FEMA.

http://smh.com.au/news/world/china-...lams-into-coast/2005/09/01/1125302689224.html

China evacuated more than 790,000 people as powerful Typhoon Talim slammed into its east coast yesterday after barrelling across Taiwan, where it left three dead and dozens injured.

Talim was forecast to be the strongest storm to hit China this season and the observatory in Fujian province issued its highest-level alert, warning of potential landslides, flooding and widespread damage.

With a radius of 250 kilometres, Talim was packing centre winds of up to 144 kilometres per hour, according to the central weather bureau in Taiwan.

The China Meteorological Association said the storm made landfall at Putian city in Fujian late afternoon, bringing torrential rain and strong winds.

I think I better show y'all a comparsion between Hurricane Frances in 2004 an election year and Katrina this year and the response by Dumbya and FEMA: I found a very good post at democraticunderground showing how much incompentence has been done this year.

and oh BTW Dumbya's brother is the Governor of Florida. The Governor of LA is a Dem and a woman to boot.

Frances happened on Sunday, September 5, 2004. Here is what Bush had done by Monday, September 6, 2004 at noon (from the white house web site)

As of noon Monday, in response to Hurricane Frances, FEMA and other Federal response agencies have taken the following actions:

* About one hundred trucks of water and 280 trucks of ice are present or will arrive in the Jacksonville staging area today. 900,000 Meals-Ready-to-Eat are on site in Jacksonville, ready to be distributed.
* Over 7,000 cases of food (e.g., vegetables, fruits, cheese, ham, and turkey) are scheduled to arrive in Winter Haven today. Disaster Medical Assistance Teams (DMAT) are on the ground and setting up comfort stations. FEMA community relations personnel will coordinate with DMATs to assist victims.
* Urban Search and Rescue Teams are completing reconnaissance missions in coordination with state officials.
* FEMA is coordinating with the Department of Energy and the state to ensure that necessary fuel supplies can be distributed throughout the state, with a special focus on hospitals and other emergency facilities that are running on generators.
* The Army Corps of Engineers will soon begin its efforts to provide tarps to tens of thousands of owners of homes and buildings that have seen damage to their roofs.
* The National Guard has called up 4,100 troops in Florida, as well as thousands in other nearby states to assist in the distribution of supplies and in preparation for any flooding.
* The Departments of Health and Human Services, Veterans Affairs, and Defense together have organized 300 medical personnel to be on standby. Medical personnel will begin deployment to Florida tomorrow.
* FEMA is coordinating public information messages with Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and North Carolina so that evacuees from Florida can be informed when it is safe to return.
* In addition to federal personnel already in place to respond to Hurricane Charley, 1,000 additional community relations personnel are being deployed to Atlanta for training and further assignment in Florida.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4567812

Now with Katrina and New Orleans/Gulf Coast, the difference is really glaring, doesn't it?

Texas Agrees to Take in 75,000

Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced that 50,000 more refugees would relocate to Texas, with plans to house 25,000 each in San Antonio and Dallas. Those people would join 23,000 others who are already being sent from New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston.

***Update: The Astrodome is no longer accepting refugees. Busloads of evacuees now being sent to other locations.

A shelter is being created in San Antonio in a huge warehouse at KellyUSA, a city-owned complex that once was home to an Air Force base. In Dallas, the refugees will go to Reunion Arena, the former home of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks.

Texas will also open its schools and hospitals to some of the hurricane's most desperate refugees. The state Health and Human Services Department planned to extend office hours to help people with Medicaid, food stamps and prescription benefits.

"I'm not going back. I'm going to rebuild in Dallas," said Thomas Washington, 46, who arrived in a caravan of cars carrying 26 people. The group left New Orleans on Sunday and stayed first in motels. They eventually turned to the evacuee shelter at Reunion Arena in downtown Dallas. Washington, who worked as a security officer at a Naval facility, said his home near Lake Pontchartrain is gone.

That sad and understand how they feel, May God bless them!!

Transcript of Mayor Nagin's reaming of Dumbya:

I mean to dictate and to manage military resources down here and I'll fix it for you. You call him right now and you call the governor and you tell them to deligate the power that they have to the mayor of New Orleans and we'll get this damn thing fixed.

It's politics man and they are playing games and they are spinning it. They are out there spinning for the cameras.

> But can't they just... If nothing else look at 25% of their energy coming from this state is not flowing through the pipelines. We are on the verge of anarchy. Can't they understand that if nothing else they are going to be hurt politically?

I don't know what they are doing. I mean the airconditioning must be good, because I haven't had any in 5 days. And maybe there's some smoke coming out of the airconditioning unit that is clogging some folks' vision.

> Have you talked to the president.

I've talked directly to the pResident. I've talked to the head of Homeland Security.

> What they say?

I've talked to everybody under the sun. I've been out there. I've flown these helicopters. Been in the crowds. Talking to people. Crying. Don't know where their relatives are. I've done it all, man!

And I'll tell you, man: I'll keep hearing that it is coming This is coming. That is coming. And my answer to that today is: BS! Where is the beef? There is no beef in this city. There is no beef anywhere in south-east Louisiana and these goddamned ships which are coming: I don't see them!

> What did you say to the pResident of the United States and what did he say to you?

I basically told him that we had an incredible crisis here and that him flying over it on AirForce One does not do it justice and that I have been all around this city and I am very frustrated because we are not able to master resources and we are outmaned in about every respect.

Do you know the reason why the looters got out of control? Because we had most of our resources saving people, 1000s of people that where stuck in attics, man. The old ladies. When you pull of the ventilator vents and look down there and standing there in water upto their fricking neck.

They don't have a clue what is going on down there. They flew down here. One time. Two days after the doggawn event was over with TV cameras, AP reports, all kinds of goddamn - excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.

> Did you say to the pResident of the United States. I need the military in here?

I said I need everything. Now, We'll tell you this: I'll give the pResident some credit on this. He send one John Wayne dude down here that can get some stuff done and his name is General Armery(sp?) and he came of the doggawn chopper and he started cussing and people started moving and he is getting some stuff done. They are going to give that guy - if they don't want to give it to me - full authority to get the job done and we can safe some people.

> What do you need right now to get control of this situation?

I need reinforcements. I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man and we are talking - one of the briefings we were talking about public school bus drivers and come down here and bus people.

I'm like you gotta be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggawn Greyhound busline in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans. That's them thinking small, man and this a major, major, MAJOR deal. And I can't emphasise it enough, man. This is crazy

I've got 15-20,000 people over there at the Convention Center. It is bursting at the seems. The poor people in Tammany(?) Parish. They are airevacing people over here in New Orleans. We don't have anything and we are sharing with our brothers in Tammany Parish. It is awful down here.

> Do you believe that the pResident is seeing this and holding news conferences on this, but can't do anything until Kathlyn Blanco requested to do it and do you know whether or not she has made that request.

I have no idea what they are doing, but I will tell you this: You know God is looking down on all this and if they are not doing everything in their power to safe people they are going to pay the price. Because everyday that people delay, people are dying! And they are dying by the hunderds down there. I'm willing to bet ya.

We are getting reports and calls that are breaking my heart from people saying: I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is upto my neck. I don't think I can hold out and that is happening as we speak.

And you know what really upsets me, G... (?)
We told everybody of the importance of the 17th Canal Street issue. We said please, please take care of this and we don't care what you do figure it out.

Continued Part 2 due to 10k character limit

Part 3 of the Mayor's interview:

> Who did you say that to?

Everybody! Governor, Homeland Security, FEMA, you name it - we've said it and - you know - they've allowed that pumping station next to pumping station 6 to go under water. People to stay there and endanger their lives. And what happened was that when that pumping station went down, the water started flowing again into the city and it started to get to levels that probably killed more people.

In addition to that, we had water flowing through the pipes of this city. That's a powerstation over there. So there is no water flowing anymore on the East bank of New Orleans Parish. The critical water supply was destroyed, because of lack of action.

> Why couldn't they drop the 3000 pound sand bags or the containers that they were talking about earlier? Was it an enginering feat that just couldn't be done?

They said it was some pullies that they had to manufactor, but you know in a state of emergency you are crazy and you figure out ways to get stuff done. Then they told me that they went overnight and that they build 17 concrete structures and that they had the pullies on them and that we are going to drop them.

I flew over that thing yesterday and it is in the same shape that it was after the storm hit. There is nothing happening! And they are feeding the public a line of bull and it's spinning and people are dying down there

> If some of the public called and they are right. There is a law that the pResident, the federal government can't do anything without local or state request would you request Martial Law?

I've already called for martial law in the city of New Orleans. We did that a few days ago.

> Did the governor do that too?

I don't know. I don't think so. But we called for martial law when we realised that the looting was getting out of control and we directed all police officers to direct them to controlling the streets. They were dirty, dead tired from saving people, but they worked all night because we thought that this thing was going to blow wide open last night, so we redirected all of our resources and held it under check. I'm not sure whether we can do that another night with the current resources and I am telling you right now:

They are showing all these reports of people looting and doing all the weird stuff - and there are doing that - but people are desperate and they are trying to find food and water. The majority of them. And you've got some knuckleheads out there and they are taking advantage of this lawless, this situation where - you know - we can't really control it and they are doing some awful, awful things, but that's a small minority of the people.

Most of the people are looking to try and survive. And one of these things. Nobody talked about these things. Drugs flowing in and out of New Orleans and the surrounding metropolitan area so freely it was scary to me and that's why we had the escalation in Murrays. People don't want to talk about this, but I want to talk about this.

You had drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They are looking for something to take the edge off their Jones if you will and right now they don't have anything to take the edge off and they've probably found guns, so what you see is drugstarving, crazy addicts - drugaddicts that are reacking havoc and we don't have the manpower to deal with it. We can only target certain sections of the city and form a perimeter around them and hope to God that we are not overrun.

> Well you and I must be in the minority, because apparantly there is a section of our citizenry out there that thinks that because of a law that the Federal Government can't come unless requested by the proper people. That everything which is going on to this point has been done as good as it can possibly be.

Really??

> I know you don't really feel that way?

Well did the Tsunami victims request. Go through a formal process to send a request?
Did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there?

What is more important? This is - I tell you man - I'm probably going to get in a whole bunch of problem. I probably get in so much trouble it ain't even funny. They don't even want to deal with me after this interview is over.

> You and I will be in the funny place together.

But... we authorized 8(0) billion dollars to go to Iraq. After 9/11 we gave the pResident unprecedented powers to take of New York and other places. You mean to tell me where most of y'all is coming through. A place that is so unique. When you mention New Orleans all over the world, everybody's eyes light up. You mean to tell me that a place where you probably have 1000s of people that have died and 1000s more that are dying everyday - that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need?

C'mon man. I'm not one of the those drug addicts - I am thinking very clearly and I don't know whose problem it is. I don't know whether it is the governor's problem. I don't know whether it is the president's problem. But somebody needs to get their ass on the plane and sit down - the two of them - and figure this out right now!

> What can we do here.

Keep talking about it.

> We'll do that. What else can we do?

Organize people to write letters to their congressmen (email), to the president, to the governor. Flood their doggawn offices with requests to do something. This is ridiculous. I don't want to see anybody to anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city and then come down to the city and spend with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can't even count. Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming in. THEY ARE NOT HERE! It's too doggawn late! Get off your asses and let's do something and let's fix the biggest doggawn crisis in the history of this country

> I'll say it right now: You are the only politician that has called and called for arms like this and whatever it takes the governor, president, whatever law president it takes, whatever it takes, I'll bet that the people listening to you are on your side

Well, I hope so Garland. I am at the point now where it don't matter. People are dying. They don't have homes. They don't have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same ... in this time ...

> That's mayor Nagine in an interview ...

All this just breaks my heart.... what CAN we do now that we know a bit more about what happened to New Orleans?

After I see all these photos about what happened to New Orleans, it breaks my heart. I cried for the families includin' children/elders/and pets.

Not only New Orleans that I cried... I cried for Israeli people, too. New Orleans and Israel are very sensitive issues.
cry20ce.gif

CyberRed said:
After I see all these photos about what happened to New Orleans, it breaks my heart. I cried for the families includin' children/elders/and pets.

Not only New Orleans that I cried... I cried for Israeli people, too. New Orleans and Israel are very sensitive issues.
cry20ce.gif

I miss about the Israel. I heard about the jewish devasted relate with reigilous. I am all behind the news since I work so much hours.

I worked with Deaf family who are from Isreal. I did not ask them about their hometown. I was focus other things to do paperwork before the program house will have a license.

RebelGirl said:
Looters have no heart!!! I can understand they're hungry.. but those who stole shoes, appliances, clothes, etc.. i ain't rooting for them.. This has been a nightmare! Those who have died, my heart goes out to the family.

Yeah, it´s understandable that they need foods and drink to be survive but clothes, shoes, jewellery etc. ? It´s not very nice of them...

I saw the news on the TV. The reporter asked a lady why she took shoes. She replied that she has to "pick" the shoes because her feet is pain. :roll:

Reba said:
Charleston is sending 50 police officers and equipment to LA to help with civil order. They have experience from hurricane Hugo. They bring all their own communications, gas, food, and water.

During Hugo, looting was not allowed. Police Chief Rueben Greenburg announced that looters would be shot on sight. No looting happened.

Shot looters because they stealing things ? :roll:

The police has no reason to shot them but RUN and CHASE them... Why can´t they? To me, shot the looters sound sort of "coward"... IMO.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
yeah no heart.. i believe they're totally AFRAID of been homeless because they don't have insurance to cover their stuff.. many insurance companies will give limited coverage.. since many won't be covered because of its flooded.. and believe it or not.. those flooded home.. i believe will need to demolish the whole house and rebuild it since the dry wall become rotten, floors rotten, everything's rotten and that's VERY costly. i just wish insurance companies will be so kind.. and cover as much as they can but they're strict.. saying "no.. because you don't have flood insurance, try request fund from flooding relieve fund from federal" why federal! come on! don't make me pay more taxes.

What about property insurance? They can cover everything when you lost your home to hurriances, thunderstrom, etc. It sound that there´re no property insurance obligation in your country. Right?

Yes, I can understand that it´s a different story when they live at "flood zone" but they must have known in first place before build or buy the house at flood zone that it´s risk to live there.

It´s Insurance companies´s duty to warn people before buy/built their houses at flood zone.

Bullym0m said:
Obvouisly Insurance knew "cannot afford expense on rest of all peoples' home and auto coverage" which it's cost lot of million dollars for damage lot of homes and auto lost. I bet Insurance decide change covert "Oh well you have not applied for "flood insurance coverage". What the crap... I bet insurance are frigg'n selfish and want their own themselves cost prevent expense. They are paid for insurance house/auto why can't insurance pay them coverage expense needs.. ??? Geez... Ridcouisly!

It would be different story if they have property insurance. It means that they have to pay everything...

The people has to think twice carefully about cons/pros before they join insurance companies. It´s Insurance companies´s duty to give the honest answer on customer´s questions.

QUOTE=Reba]One man on the news said that looters stole his wife's personal jewelry from their destroyed home. He saw it happen and yelled at them but they just mocked him. That is NOT some poor hungry mom trying to get food and water for the children. That is LOOTING!

Looters are stealing guns from stores, and then shooting at rescure helicopters. They are NOT feeding starving children.

Get real.

When our police chief ordered shoot the looters, that actually prevented looting. No one got shot. It wasn't necessary because the potential looters decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Have you seen the videos of the looters? They are dancing and laughing while they steal. They are grabbing jewelry and electronics, not food./This is a sick... :barf: They have no heart for poor and innocent people... :madfawk:

Back