After surgery and recovery for CI

Do you go home after recovery or stay all night?

• same day as the surgery

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • stay overnight

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

Pinky

Reaction score
I want to know about your experience with after surgery. Were you an outpatient or stay at hospital all night for one day?

Can you explain why you were outpatient or inpatient? It's my thought.

Pinky, refresh my memory. When is your surgery? Are you scheduled to stay overnight, or go home the same day?

June 11. Yes, It's my schedule to stay overnight.

IMO, it's better to stay overnight. I know of some who went home the same day. But staying overnight - this way you get nurses watching over you overnight to make sure you didn't have complications from surgery, make sure you rest, make sure you eat. I will be thinking of you on June 11 !!! :)

My surgery was same day. I arrived at 6:30 am and left the Vanderbilt Medical Center at 4:00 pm.

Recovery is different for bilateral. It is impossible to get comfortable sleeping. I also had dizziness and balance issues(had it before surgery, just got worst). It took 7 days to get back to work and back to normal.

IMO, it's better to stay overnight. I know of some who went home the same day. But staying overnight - this way you get nurses watching over you overnight to make sure you didn't have complications from surgery, make sure you rest, make sure you eat. I will be thinking of you on June 11 !!! :)

Aw, You're sweetie! Thank you for tips. I will not able to wear a glasses for 3 days. It's good idea for me to stay overnight instead of same day.

My surgery was same day. I arrived at 6:30 am and left the Vanderbilt Medical Center at 4:00 pm.

Recovery is different for bilateral. It is impossible to get comfortable sleeping. I also had dizziness and balance issues(had it before surgery, just got worst). It took 7 days to get back to work and back to normal.

Do you mean for second CI? Or first CI?

Yes, My doctor said I will lose my balance after surgery. I am not good at balance with my vision.

MOD, Can you change the name to "Same Day the surgery" from outpatient

"Stay overnight" from inpatient

Please thank you

I stayed overnight following both of my CI surgeries so my surgeon could observe me for dizziness.

It's standard for us in England to stay over night after Surgery, Some places want their patients the day before of the surgery and then day after the surgery.

From my experince, I only stayed one night, Arrive hosp 7.30, In theatre and asleep by 8.30, came round 12.45, in my room 1.30, up and walking by 2pm. pretty much groggy and sleepy all evening, Had final IV antibios at 11pm. Had unintrupted nights sleep but were woken up at 7 am to have pain killers taken by oral before breakfast. After breakfast I get photographed with x-rays!! (I don't think america does xrays after the surgery) then were kicked out of hospital after visit by my surgeon at 10am.

My friend who had same surgeon, operated at same hospital, she was very sick after her surgery she stayed 2 or 3 nights.

Pinky - you can wear glasses! Just take one arm off with screw. Put the screw on a tape and tape it on your arm. No problem. :)

I was outpatient for both of my surgeries, never had to stay overnight. One of my friends with CI stayed overnight because she asked for it and because she says she gets a little dizzy/balance issues.

The first surgery I was out of the hospital after 2 hours for recovery. The nurses had to keep me there because my O2 levels were a little lower than they wanted, and I had a bit of a rough recovery...this is due to the anesthesia induction drug that they used (propofol...white stuff).

The second surgery, I was out of there within 30 minutes. This time I had the nausea patch beforehand, smaller endotracheal tube (the first surgery, my throat was SORE for weeks), and I had gas induction instead of propofol. I was bouncing off the walls after the second surgery because I felt SO good. The bandage was on just snug, no throat aches, and no nausea.

So...people react differently for surgeries.

I had a few days stay in hospital, maybe it's common for kids to stay a few nights(I was 10 years old). I went in on the morning on Tuesday 24th October, my surgery was at 9am the following day, I was discharged on the friday at 6pm. I was out of surgery by 2pm and back onto ward for 2.30pm. I was quite sick for hours but got medication to help. Next day was x-ray and observation, fri I was off the IV by 12 and had all my cannulas out and spent all day waitin for doctor.

I had a few days stay in hospital, maybe it's common for kids to stay a few nights(I was 10 years old).

I think it is pretty standard for children to stay several days in the hospital for any kind of surgery so they can be observed for any changes that may take place post-operatively.

Actually my op was on the 25th, But I went into hospital on the 24th!! Hehe, now we know your birthday

*giggles*

xx

I can remember the day after surgery, they took my hard bandage off and was going to put a softer one on. I went to the toilets to have a look at my scar, my mother say I went total white when I saw my scar hehe, she thought I was going to faint!

I was bouncing off the walls after the second surgery because I felt SO good.

The same thing happened to me after both of my surgeries.

In fact, the anesthesia they used induced a manic/psychotic episode (a symptom of my bipolar) which required me to be hospitalized for a little over a month following my second surgery.

One thing I'll never forget is how I felt as if my entire body had been run over a truck during the first 2-3 days following my second CI surgery.

I also had a migraine, but didn't realize it until much later in the day when the Tylenol the nurse gave me didn't help. Once I was given my prescription for Imitrex, the pain disappeared within 15 minutes.

I went home on the same day as the surgery. I went in at 6am (I KNOW!) and left around 4pm. I felt pretty good. No dizziness or anything. Just a lot of pain from my head/neck. I think they set me up for a possible stay overnight though just in case I was too dizzy or anything to go home.

I wasnt allowed to get out of bed and walk around till later on in the evening. I didnt have the energy LOL, i was too busy either vomiting or sleeping so I didnt experience any dizziness

I was very cranky and irritable after surgery but that's what everybody does after surgery! LOL

Actually my op was on the 25th, But I went into hospital on the 24th!! Hehe, now we know your birthday

*giggles*

xx

Someone needs to learn how to read more carefully. (me) :giggle:

By the way, when my birthday comes, I accept all forms of
money -- cash, check, money order... :laugh2:

Back