Advice on a controversial topic: PLEASE READ PLEASE HELP

maddi

Reaction score
Hello,

I need advice regarding a person “teaching” ASL. Studying ASL in college, I told my relative who is on the school board that my old high school should have an ASL class for a second language. My relative brought it up at the school board meeting and everyone agreed. One of the audience members went to the principal and said that they can teach the ASL class because she took 2-3 ASL classes a decade ago.
Of course, due to society’s lack of knowledge about ASL, they thought it was okay & hired her. I worked at my old high school when I was off from college. I got word about the new ASL class and wanted to meet the new teacher. The first day I met her, she said she isn’t qualified & “doesn’t know ASL or what she’s doing”. I was too afraid to speak up and tell her what shes doing is wrong. She’s teaching this for a cash grab and I know it.
She’s not fluent at all. This teacher uses old signs and doesn’t use the right syntax or grammar. The way she teaches is awful. She uses a book I recommended to her to use/learn from and looks down at the book, and signs the ASL signs to the class.
Knowing ASL myself, when I observed her class, I was shocked & disgusted. I thought this was going to be a one tome class until they found someone qualified, but NO. She has been teaching for over a year. The more I learned in college how it is wrong for unqualified hearing people to teach ASL, the more angrier I got. I am way more qualified than this “teacher” but I would never teach because it’s wrong and I respect the Deaf Communities wishes!
I reached out to her and told her I wanted to share information and have a conversation with her about teaching ASL. But she ignored my message. She doesn’t want to hear the truth. My parent who’s a teacher at the school told the superintendent how it’s wrong for her to teach and they have done nothing.
i don’t know who to reach out to. There is no Deaf Community around me and no events from COVID.
I don’t know what to do.
this needs to STOP.
these kids need and deserve a better ASL education and have a qualified person or Deaf perosn teach this class.
Please tell me what I should do.
Please respond.
thank you.

Can you go to a school board meeting; perhaps with a certified interpreter? Expose her lack of knowledge/skill publically? It seems you tried to be diplomatic about it and I applaud you. You're right, this needs to be stopped. Exposing the issue could help. If not; there is always the state level. We call it DESI here; unsure what it would be in your state. Also, NAD would have a field day with them. Just options. Some states give up to two years for an unqualified teacher to "get up to snuff" (certified). The State supplements salary for positions like that and the school will liable for taking funds for an unqualified teacher; akin to fraud.

Last edited:
That has to be stopped.

First thing get a Certified Licensed Deaf Interpreter with you. And find a way to document the thing with the teacher.

Assemble the information and take it to the School Board quietly.

I don't mind people trying to teach, but if they bill a Course as ASL and the teacher badly does it or passes off old english as ASL etc then its a severe disservice to the students. And a loss to the school overall when the students learn what real ASL really is.

I can do both languages, however Signed English was my first and I sometimes default to that. Employing ASL is a its own stand alone language and as I stated before Sign Language as a living document of sorts I get corrections and pick up new words as I run with a ASL deaf crowd. Its not difficult (Deaf Church) Just a process of keeping the rust off and staying current and in practice.

To me ASL is really fast in conveying a great amount of information in a short time. However it has to be done right. If the teacher is not right then the students will be damaged. Not to mention potential financial losses if any.

x1heavy is correct. Yeah, it happens like this one. What state is your high school in? It may help if you invite a Deaf professor from a college and ADA lawyer to come with you to discuss it discreetly with the School board.

Back