Advice and tips?

Auroke22

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My mother and I are learning ASL. I am using Lifeprint and my mother is using "The American Sign Language Phrase Book" by Lou Fant and Barbara Bernstein Fant, "Signing Illustrated" by Mickey Flodin, and "The Joy of Signing" by Lottie L. Riekehof. We are starting to learn a lot, but some of the signs we use aren't the same and usually ends in one of us bickering with each other:|. There aren't classes close to us, and my mom wants to wait to start to socialize in the Deaf community until she can communicate well. We don't know which is correct or if we are even doing it right. Can anyone give us advice? We are in midwestern Ohio(Wooster). Any tips will help!

-Auro

You're using too much of a mishmash of resources. No wonder you're confused.

The only way you know whether or not you're doing it right is for someone who knows ASL to observe you. That's why it's important to have a live teacher or mentor.

Your screen ID says Birmingham, AL, but you say you live in Wooster, OH?

You're using too much of a mishmash of resources. No wonder you're confused.

The only way you know whether or not you're doing it right is for someone who knows ASL to observe you. That's why it's important to have a live teacher or mentor.

Your screen ID says Birmingham, AL, but you say you live in Wooster, OH?

Yeah I live in Wooster, Ohio now. We just moved and I haven't updated it yet, thanks for reminding me! I'm sure that would help. I have e-mailed the Center for the Deaf in Cleveland, and they have been asking around for resources in my area. The only "test" we have is not reading subtitles on Switched at Birth. Is there a specific resource you recommend we use?

I'd definitely skip using The Joy Of Signing as a resource - it's so outdated at this point it's practically useless.

Random House has a decent ASL dictionary however I'd suggest using an online video dictionary (aslpro.com) as you can actually see the signs being formed that way.

Yeah I live in Wooster, Ohio now.

I know the Deaf Center in Mansfield, 30 minutes from you. I know Wendy is still there. The interpreters there give classes for $30. It's worth the drive and money!

Back