Adult CIs in Ontario

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hey all,
just wondering what everyone knows about Adult CIs in Ontario? Is there any talk of approving bilaterals? What is someone could get the money for a bilateral, would they do it in Ontario? My ENT brought up the topic of CI with me, so it's got me thinking about it again.
*EQL*

It is my understanding that OHIP will NOT fund "bilateral implants". Reason' COST. Three years ago my Implant/operation/hospital care/audiologist costs were $55,000.00 CDN- Sunnybrook Toronto. As Midge pointed out-"unusual circumstances" can alter OHIP policy. One can of course, pay for another one out of their pocket by going to the US.Apparently this hasn't been done at Sunnybrook yet. Since the founding of the Implant clinic- there- only 850 persons have been Implanted on over a span of 18 years. They guess the 1000th patient Implant- next year. The rejection rate-for one reason or other is over 60%. This info was provided at Cochlear Implant patients meeting recently at Sunnybrook. The exception to the above is babies at Hospital for Sick Children-reason- required for speaking. Which why at the present time -acceptance of Implants for babies is almost 95%. Delaying appears to affect speaking-so I understand. One of the locked threads somewhat discussed the value of babies' Implants. Fortunately I have no direct experience in this.- my 2 sons.
Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I have a friend who has bilateral CI's in ontario but the only reason why she was approved for the 2nd ear was because she had facial stim issues with her first CI and because of that she couldn't maximize the full benefit from her CI so they approved a 2nd one for her and so far she's having a lot more progress with the 2nd than the 1st...both are from diff companies as well

I have only seen one kid who is bilateral here. I honestly don't know many adults with CI - only 2 I think. 1 didn't get much benefit (implanted early but it was a long time ago when they were new) and the other refuses to use hers. Again though she grew up with ASL, and was no an ideal candidate. It was also forced on her.

I have been told by an audiologist that the candidacy process is really strict here. This audiologist wentto Germany to get hers....wait - I know three adults.

huh. interesting. Is that 60% rejection.. people who don't like their CI or people who get turned down for CI surgery?
*EQL*

The 60% quoted is the rejection rate by Sunnybrook when examining potential persons for Cochlear Implants after detailed examinations. Not everyone is suitable.

That does kind of suck that bilaterals are really tough to qualify for. I can see both sides. I DO think that if someone is totally unaidable or gets very poor speech perception in both ears,(say 20% and under) or if they have not great perception in their first CI or severe recruitment or tintitas, they SHOULD be allowed to get a second CI with no real grief. But at the same time, it does kind of seem like the CI is being treated as teh LATEST GOTTA have piece of technology. Exactly like the way digitals were when they were first introduced. I'm NOT against bilaterals.
I think that the canidacy requirements should be strict, so that that way people who REALLY need it can get it, without going through a lot of grief.
Hearign technology rocks, but it's a fact that everyone's very indivdual when it comes to response to hearing technology.

Because of the high cost-$55,000 CDN- of an additional Cochlear Implant for adults without a "huge improvements in one's hearing" as compared to one -easy to understand why no rush to extend the programme of funding just one.. Consider all the demands on OHIP.

Getting upgrade for CI, in Ontario

Hello,

I was told by my audiologist, in Ottawa, Ontario, that you can get 2nd implant, only if you lost your hearing due to meningitis.

Regards,

Hear- you're from ottawa!? Nice me too! :) what kind of CI to you have?
also further to this..in ontario they are starting to fund more for bilateral CI's and wait times have cut in half or even better because of more funding for CI's

Yes, from Ottawa :P Glad to know you are also Ottawan. I have Nucleus 24, body worn processor.

actually, i am qualified to get 2nd implant, as i lost my hearing due to meningitis...however, i am still not convinced if i will get any benefit from the 2nd one...i am very happy with the one i have :)

Hear- you're from ottawa!? Nice me too! :) what kind of CI to you have?
also further to this..in ontario they are starting to fund more for bilateral CI's and wait times have cut in half or even better because of more funding for CI's

oh good:) that's awesome! we should meet up for coffee some time? How old are you..sorry for all the qs it intrigues me that there is another ottawa deaf person:) I'm sure you can get an upgrade esp if your audi says you need one since the body worn is pretty outdated!:)

In the announcement of increased OHIP funding for Cochlear Implants-decreasing" waiting time" -I don't recall mention of any change re bilateral implants criteria.

Implanted Sunnybrook -AB Harmony activated Aug/07

oh good:) that's awesome! we should meet up for coffee some time? How old are you..sorry for all the qs it intrigues me that there is another ottawa deaf person:) I'm sure you can get an upgrade esp if your audi says you need one since the body worn is pretty outdated!:)

Sure, that would be great. i am in my 30s, and live in the west end of the city. By the way, do you know there is a monthly meeting of Cochlear implant users in Ottawa? It is help in Civic hospital and every implantee is welcome to attend the informal meeting.

are you a guy or a girl...can't tell by your AD name ..I am not a CI implantee yet so I prob wouldn't be able to attend... I live in the westend as well :)

And I did read somewhere that they are trying to push for more bilaterals esp in children since people should have 2 ears instead of one just like people can get two knee replacements if needed etc..I can't for the life of me find the article though...sorry

oh good that's awesome! we should meet up for coffee some time? How old are you..sorry for all the qs it intrigues me that there is another ottawa deaf person I'm sure you can get an upgrade esp if your audi says you need one since the body worn is pretty outdated!

Sure, that would be great. i am in my 30s, and live in the west end of the city. By the way, do you know there is a monthly meeting of Cochlear implant users in Ottawa? It is help in Civic hospital and every implantee is welcome to attend the informal meeting.

That is similar to what im looking for in Ottawa too. Id love to find deaf people or at least CI users that does know asl although its not necessary. Im a CI user and have no one to relate to in real life. Im having hard time finding anybody. i didnt know there was a monthly meeting of CI users in Ottawa. what exactly is this meeting? Is there more meetings for CI users to meet at than just civic hospital?

Catero

That is similar to what im looking for in Ottawa too. Id love to find deaf people or at least CI users that does know asl although its not necessary. Im a CI user and have no one to relate to in real life. Im having hard time finding anybody. i didnt know there was a monthly meeting of CI users in Ottawa. what exactly is this meeting? Is there more meetings for CI users to meet at than just civic hospital?

Catero

we should start a deaf starbucks meet lol somewhere you don't have to pay for parking..I'm going to start taking ASL in the fall:) but I don't know much yet unfortunately

My experience here in Toronto over the last 4 years. I recall only a couple of meetings at Sunnybrook of Cochlear Implant patients. Interesting discussion. Seems to be every couple of years. Not surprising-there are only 850 implanted as of last year. I know more since. Next meeting?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

And I did read somewhere that they are trying to push for more bilaterals esp in children since people should have 2 ears instead of one just like people can get two knee replacements if needed etc..I can't for the life of me find the article though...sorry

Yeah, but on the other hand, a lot of people might benifit from bimodal as well. Know what I mean? Like granted people with really low speech perception with HAs should be able to get it....but on the other hand, with bimodal the HA and CI work togehter to create hearing.

Back