Adopting a Deaf Child

Learning another language is not like learning Sign. It is completely different. Learning another language requires learning different words. Sign requires learning a whole different form of communication. Hearing people do not speak with their hands and face, and quite often don't even look at who they speak to. It is much harder than learning another lang. Learning sign requires completely new tools

No. Sign language is language.

I give up... no one here can read. I didn't say sign was not a language. Done... I give up. TO many people who want to attack. I made a generalization of something someone should think about. I didn't attack or be negative. People can't read, or are oversensitive.

I give up... no one here can read. I didn't say sign was not a language. Done... I give up. TO many people who want to attack. I made a generalization of something someone should think about. I didn't attack or be negative. People can't read, or are oversensitive.

:lol: You say sign is not like language and then say people here can't read?? :wave:

Bye bye...

I ssaid learning sign is not like learning another language. Spoken language was obvious.

Thought you were leaving in a snit?? And go back and read what you said... You are not correct here.

Refresh your memory... "Learning another language is not like learning Sign."" Sign requires learning a whole different form of communication."

"Spoken language was obvious." If you can't keep up with the obvious and even comment on what the thread is actually about, you shouldn't even be here.

Any parents are willing to learn asl to communicates with open minded then the parents and deaf kids will be fine. It's okay if they want to teach them how to speak as long as asl is involved.

Learning another language is not like learning Sign. It is completely different. Learning another language requires learning different words. Sign requires learning a whole different form of communication. Hearing people do not speak with their hands and face, and quite often don't even look at who they speak to. It is much harder than learning another lang. Learning sign requires completely new tools

Ah, do you think hearies are autistic?!?!?! Hearing people speak with their faces.....

Some hearies are autistic... but that's beside the point.

As an autistic hearing person, I actually somehow pulled off learning ASL expression and facial grammar and such quicker than many of my allistic classmates.

Most hearing couples are unhappy to find their child is deaf... That sucks, but doesn't mean it is not true. And even when they aren't, going through the whole process of learning sign and then not being able to even relate to their child because they have nothing in common and experience everything differently is usually how it goes.

I am not against it at all. I wouldn't even mind doing it myself. :D I think i am crazy and have off the wall ideas though :P To want to do it yourself and have your significant other as well, just hope you know what your getting into.

I disagree with this , I knew a hearing mother that had learn ASL long before she was married and she had a baby girl that was born HOH and she was fine with it and very happy that she knew ASL so she could teach it to her child. I met the girl and she was a very well adjusted child. Both parents where fine with having a hoh child. I met a knew parents with hoh child and they no issues with their child being hoh and one couple child was blind and hoh and they where very proud of their daughter and it showed in the young woman . Maybe you'll feel difference about when and if you have any kids .

You knew a whole single mother? Wow. That sure adds up to the whole population. For the millionth time, generalizations.

Autistic? What does a social disorder have to do with sign language as a language?

B/c autistic people cannot generally interpret facial expressions...Even Aspie/HFA folks often can't interpret facial expressions.

I would think this was a bad idea? I understand that yeah every child needs a home, but a couple with no deaf background adopting a deaf child?

curious why did you say that?

My hearing parents know nothing about ASL. They cant get rid of me. :aw:

I am not sure how old you're , but no one talked about ASL when I growing up, I did not even know about till I was older.

I am in late 40's. My parents know that there have sign language. They did not know sign language. But they were learning SEE when they had me. The point is that they are willing to learn sign language to communicate with me.

If any hearing parents want to adopt deaf kids, and want to learn ASL. SURE WHY NOT.

Hearing people wanting to adopt a deaf child and learn ASL is better than a parent having natural deaf child and doesn't learn ASL as it is in my case.

Back