Adjustment to late onset deafness

I could still go, but I would not know what was going on or what was being said. They don't even use a church hymnal anymore.

I could still go, but I would not know what was going on or what was being said. They don't even use a church hymnal anymore.
I understand that. I just can't believe they sent you a letter telling you not to come. Though it would be nice if they could accomodate you, I'd think they'd be happy to have you there regardless.

I know how you feel about not knowing what's going on etc. I go to Mass (Catholic) weekly and sometimes during the week, but when I've been to the Spanish Mass they have at our church (usually the one on Good Friday after the Via Crucis), I get lost.

Ended up not going back to the church. We got a letter from the church deacons asking that I not return as I was deaf and could not participate. My mother was ashamed of the church and we will look elsewhere.

That's just . . . [insert word of your choice]. This just leaves me speechless!

:shock:oh Kristina....geez....well, others already were here but wow - my thoughts echo theirs!
:hug:

Ended up not going back to the church. We got a letter from the church deacons asking that I not return as I was deaf and could not participate. My mother was ashamed of the church and we will look elsewhere.

Golly for real? Your mother is right to be ashamed of that church. :shock:

Deaf Church! I keep telling you, God is the same everywhere and you could learn to understand and participate.

Deaf Church! I keep telling you, God is the same everywhere and you could learn to understand and participate.

Haven't found one here. I have been calling all of them and asking so many people for 2 years. There is not one within 20 miles.

Haven't found one here. I have been calling all of them and asking so many people for 2 years. There is not one within 20 miles.
maybe you should stop searching. You can fellowship with your family members at home or pray on your own. God will understand you.

Caught between worlds

Hi, My names Katherine, and I am going deaf and stuck between the hearing world and the deaf world. It's extremely frustrating to me, so much so I actually have a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. Crowds, background noises forget it. Can't do it. I feel so Alone all the time. I have two children 11 and other almost 14. I've tried to befriend there friends parents but they don't put in the effort to try to get to know me and are just ignorant to understand. I tell people they need to look at me so I can read there lips along with what little sound I do hear with HA, speak slowly and not to mumble. It's hard just going to a store because I'm afraid the someone may talk to me, or the person at the register and when they do I tell them I'm sorry I can't understand or quite hear what your saying. They look at me like I'm rude or stupid. So I don't go out much needless to say. I want to learn sign language with my children. But it won't help with family or hearing people who don 't know it.
I'm hoping I can meet some people on here so I know I'm not going crazy. Thanks for reading . Oh and I'm from RI

Just tell them that I can't hear very well (without saying the word deaf). You just have to make up a short story that you were in a car accident or someone slapped your face too hard that lost your hearing or you had side effect from too strong antibiotic pills - just like a white lie. Telling the truth might not work - it depends the place someone meet you. They might think that you were hearing before so that they would sympathize you some ways. It is just a plain stupid, but it usually works. It is just my brainstorm.

As someone who grew up with deafness, I developed an instinct of how long my daughter takes her showers. Automatically, I knock on the door and open it to check on her ever 5 mins.
:ty:
Sorry its taken me so long to respond have not been back to this thread. My oldest daughter is actually deaf, but your tip is working great with my youngest. My oldest really is fine without mommy looking in on her every 5min, it's time I 'accept her getting grownup' is what she told me and I suppose she is 1/8 right lol

A little update:
I have started to become more comfortable with my hearing loss and not as nervous about little things, theres not much anxiety at home anymore don't even wear the Ha's they come off when I walk in the door (if I even remembered to put them on before leaving) Still dealing with 'social issues' but I've started going out again and actually having fun :) so almost there I suppose.

Hi, My names Katherine, and I am going deaf and stuck between the hearing world and the deaf world. It's extremely frustrating to me, so much so I actually have a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. Crowds, background noises forget it. Can't do it. I feel so Alone all the time. I have two children 11 and other almost 14. I've tried to befriend there friends parents but they don't put in the effort to try to get to know me and are just ignorant to understand. I tell people they need to look at me so I can read there lips along with what little sound I do hear with HA, speak slowly and not to mumble. It's hard just going to a store because I'm afraid the someone may talk to me, or the person at the register and when they do I tell them I'm sorry I can't understand or quite hear what your saying. They look at me like I'm rude or stupid. So I don't go out much needless to say. I want to learn sign language with my children. But it won't help with family or hearing people who don 't know it.
I'm hoping I can meet some people on here so I know I'm not going crazy. Thanks for reading . Oh and I'm from RI

Like Webexplorer said just tell them you can't hear (at the store) just point to your ear smile and shake your head, they get the picture :) and its less stressful then trying to lipread or develop pshycic powers and respond accordingly (I tried this, based on their facial expressions, I usually got it wrong)

With your family, you can ask them to learn point them in the direction of an asl class or ask them to go with you, start there. Learning ASL may actually help with all of this, it gets better and easier :)

Hello I am new and Just posted my introduction, so this is my 2nd hello.

I started going deaf in the late 90's. I would not say my post was complaing, but I will say it was a post of desperation. The world I am used to does not understand me anymore and many could care less to try. Dr's and nurses even have been inconsiderate with me during hospital stays.

I am scared, confused and have gotten no answers or long term help to aid me in this transition. My family feels just as helpless. I have spent many years letting the medical community try to "fix" me. I know now I never needed to be fixed.

My spelling is horrible, I tend to type how I hear thing. I also use spell check when the computer "works with me"...

I am here for solutions, advise, anything that will help me be a productive person in the Deaf world.

If I say something that offends the Deaf community, it is out of ignorence and never being taught how to live in a non hearing world. Nothing is intentional, please know this.

I have already been beat down by the world I knew and would like honest help from the world I am becoming apart of. I do not ingage in arguments. I am hear to understand.

I hope I have found the right place, as my past searches have been in vain.

Thank you in advance

I started going deaf in the late 90's. I would not say my post was complaing, but I will say it was a post of desperation. The world I am used to does not understand me anymore and many could care less to try. Dr's and nurses even have been inconsiderate with me during hospital stays.

I am scared, confused and have gotten no answers or long term help to aid me in this transition. My family feels just as helpless. I have spent many years letting the medical community try to "fix" me. I know now I never needed to be fixed.

My spelling is horrible, I tend to type how I hear thing. I also use spell check when the computer "works with me"...

I am here for solutions, advise, anything that will help me be a productive person in the Deaf world.

If I say something that offends the Deaf community, it is out of ignorence and never being taught how to live in a non hearing world. Nothing is intentional, please know this.

I have already been beat down by the world I knew and would like honest help from the world I am becoming apart of. I do not ingage in arguments. I am hear to understand.

Thank you in advance
Hi there. Chrome is the best browser for spell check. You will be happy here and your life will get better. :)

Welcome catsmeow! :wave:

I know how hard it is to adjust. I promise that it gets easier. I hope that you find useful info and support here. Look forward to reading more posts from you. :D

Wirelessly posted (iPhone4)

My name is Roy Shearer.
I live along Alabama's Gulf Coast.
Signed on here because I am late deafened and am seeking guidance and information to learn ASL.
Recently declined Bilaterial Cochlear Implants.
Either way, I am deaf. So I prefer to adjust to communicating with ASL.
Family is behind my decision and we all want to learn ASL.
Problem is finding an individual or local support from the deaf community to work with us.
I love humor and do not take myself seriously. I am 60 years old with 30 years experience!

:wave:again Roy, see you found it!
that's great that you and your family all wants to learn ASL:)

Thank you in advance

Sure this is the best place for you. i also lost my hearing late in life so i understand the kind of hot shoes you stand in. my searches were equally fruitless until i found this forum. U can try the book "Hearing loss help" by Alec Coomb, a hard of hearing author.

Back