Adjustment to late onset deafness

jillio

Reaction score
It seems that we have several members that are currently going through adjustments to late onset deafness. I suggested a support type group through AD, and offered to facillitate. I received word from a mod that we could go ahead and start a thread on this topic. So...here it is.

How about if we start off by having participants offer a brief introduction of themselves, and the issue they are currently struggling with?

Oh, and mods...could you sticky this please?

Mod note:

Threads sticky for the time being per requested.

I have noticed a lot of latent deaf or people with sudden deafness on this site as well. I think this is a great idea!!

Thanks for your support in the effort, BB. Please do drop in once we get going. Although you are not late deafened, you most certainly will have sage advise on coping mechanisms. I'm going to try to gear this as much toward the emotional and psychological adjustment as the adjustment to using acccommodations.

Thanks for your support in the effort, BB. Please do drop in once we get going. Although you are not late deafened, you most certainly will have sage advise on coping mechanisms. I'm going to try to gear this as much toward the emotional and psychological adjustment as the adjustment to using acccommodations.

I agree..

Jillio...

If you do not mind,

I would like to add that this thread is specifically to help people with latent deafness or sudden deafness.

This thread is to help the ones in need.

I agree..

Jillio...

If you do not mind,

I would like to add that this thread is specifically to help people with latent deafness or sudden deafness.

This thread is to help the ones in need.

Yes. Thank you for that clarification.:ty:

Need help to join this forum

Hi there...I'm a new "3 years" suddenly deafness, and want to join this forum to share. But i don't want2 make people angry or hurt feelings. Which way should i start 1st ? Anyone could help me plz.....:aw:...?

Hi there...I'm a new "3 years" suddenly deafness, and want to join this forum to share. But i don't want2 make people angry or hurt feelings. Which way should i start 1st ? Anyone could help me plz.....:aw:...?

Hello, tommys. Welcome to AD.

Please just share your story. This thread was created for people just like you to be able to share their feelings about their deafness without being concerned about hurting anyone's feelings or making anyone angry. Your feelings are your feelings, and they are neither right nor wrong. They just are.

Since new moderators strongly request me work on my social skills, but Tommy requested my friendship, can I say in here "Please don't misspell words in slang manner or use one letter to mean a word.?"

Matilda used to tell people that but she is gone. I think other people may be more tactful than me.

I still get some anxieties when new physicians or nurses begin to work in my unit. I think it is a little bit of ego though. I feel I have to prove my skills and professional capabilities to anyone new. That can make me feel cold and insensitive.

For new AD'ers; I lost my hearing with one semester left in nursing school. I felt devestated. I went from being near 'overconfident' to completely insecure. After a couple years, I finally got HA's and it made a good difference with my private and professional life. My insecurities with some people remain. I still get angry and spitefull when it comes to music and singing. I loved to sing, but now I will NOT do it around anybody. Also, I think I have extreme insecurities with starting a relationship with anybody. I want to go to grad school SO bad to be doctor in genetics. I make excuses every year for not applying, but I really know inside my reason.

Since new moderators strongly request me work on my social skills, but Tommy requested my friendship, can I say in here "Please don't misspell words in slang manner or use one letter to mean a word.?"

Matilda used to tell people that but she is gone. I think other people may be more tactful than me.

Absolutely, you may stay, Bott!:wave: I look forward to your contributions to the group.

I still get some anxieties when new physicians or nurses begin to work in my unit. I think it is a little bit of ego though. I feel I have to prove my skills and professional capabilities to anyone new. That can make me feel cold and insensitive.

For new AD'ers; I lost my hearing with one semester left in nursing school. I felt devestated. I went from being near 'overconfident' to completely insecure. After a couple years, I finally got HA's and it made a good difference with my private and professional life. My insecurities with some people remain. I still get angry and spitefull when it comes to music and singing. I loved to sing, but now I will NOT do it around anybody. Also, I think I have extreme insecurities with starting a relationship with anybody. I want to go to grad school SO bad to be doctor in genetics. I make excuses every year for not applying, but I really know inside my reason.

I sincerely hope u apply soon ...we need more deaf/hoh doctors!

Thank you, hohDougRN. I appreciate your honesty about your insecurities. You know, I find it interesting that your screen name places hoh before RN. I know, from other conversations, how dedicted you are to providing health care services, and I suspect that you are a very compassionate and capable nurse. Perhaps, as a starter to confidence building, we could make RN the first part of your identity, rather than hoh. After all, your nursing skills and knowledge is primary. You are a NURSE, who just happens to be hoh. And perhaps one day soon, a physician who just happens to be hoh.

Hey there! I'm pretty new. I started realizing I wasn't hearing so well when I was almost 20, now, at 23, I am severely hoh. I have good and bad days. Some days I remember that there are so many others going through similar and worse things that there is no sense in wallowing in self-pity. Other days, things tigger me, like when I can't hear my baby cooing or when I see my husband mouthing 'I love you', and I then I get pretty upset and depressed. There is sooooo much I don't understand about losing hearing. I don't understand all the technology and I, while I practise the little ASL I know frequently, I don't have anyone to practise with. I get pretty lonely. I feel very isolated. But, you know, this is a great idea for a thread...and I hope lots of late deafened people respond to it. I'd really like to hear other stories. I'll be checking in often...like I said, I can be a little moody...sometimes I'll be cheerful and sometimes ready to cry...but I guess others go through that too. I have another ENT appointment tommorrow. Yikes. Maybe they'll be able to tell me what is wrong though! Thanks for starting this Jillio!

Thank you, hohDougRN. I appreciate your honesty about your insecurities. You know, I find it interesting that your screen name places hoh before RN. I know, from other conversations, how dedicted you are to providing health care services, and I suspect that you are a very compassionate and capable nurse. Perhaps, as a starter to confidence building, we could make RN the first part of your identity, rather than hoh. After all, your nursing skills and knowledge is primary. You are a NURSE, who just happens to be hoh. And perhaps one day soon, a physician who just happens to be hoh.

Wow Jillio. Have you ever thought about being a counsellor?

Back