Addiction is not a funy at all

It's already been used as a defense. Decriminalizing drugs is happening all over the country. The state governments are finding it saves a lot of money to treat these people rather than incarcerate them, although you will have the prison guards throwing a fit because they will begin to loose their jobs as the prison populations go down.
Prison guards throwing a fit because they will lose their jobs?...Jails and prisons have been overcrowded for years and years!...Understaffed...Anyone committing a crime while on drugs or selling illegal drugs should be in prison...And the taxpayers are paying for those inmates...and the ones that are doing drugs to "make them feel good" (a choice)...by giving them Methadone...which is another addictive drug...there are lines of people waiting for their "dozing" of it here in my City...even getting transportation back and forth to the clinics...all at the Taxpayers expense....Just giving those people another addictive drug to combat the drugs they were addicted to!...For what?...that's not helping them at all....Then again...Common Sense is not everybody's forte...They are using the Taxpayers for their drugs...

No, I don't think depression is a disease either. It's life in general...People get depressed over a variety of things that have happened/happening in their lives, some more severe/tragic than others.
There is situation depression and there is clinical depression. I KNOW, so don’t tell me clinical depression isn’t an illness! I had no reason to be depressed. I woke up from a nap with a dark cloud hanging over me. Not every one recognizes they have depression which is sad. And society’s misguided views on mental illness, including depression, doesn’t help - people are less likely to seek medical help.

There is situation depression and there is clinical depression. I KNOW, so don’t tell me clinical depression isn’t an illness! I had no reason to be depressed. I woke up from a nap with a dark cloud hanging over me. Not every one recognizes they have depression which is sad. And society’s misguided views on mental illness, including depression, doesn’t help - people are less likely to seek medical help.
As for clinical depression...whether even I had it or not, I don't know...but most likely I did after waking up from surgery being totally deaf...or seeing my mother murdered. However...I still am depressed time to time (most people are)...I did seek help with Mental Health and was told that the reason for my depression was "because I was deaf"....and suggested anti-depressants...Did that help?...Not really...Time and knowing that "this too, shall pass"...and it has but I still have days thinking of it all, among other things that had depressed me....as for myself and IMO...I did not have an Illness...and no amount of therapy (at $90/hour) or meds was gonna solve "my problem"...but myself...I chose to deal with it...go on...knowing that worserer things have happened to other people....I chose to be happy regardless of what has happened in my Life...as I only have 1 Life to live...chose not to be unhappy...It's on me.

As for clinical depression...whether even I had it or not, I don't know...but most likely I did after waking up from surgery being totally deaf...or seeing my mother murdered. However...I still am depressed time to time (most people are)...I did seek help with Mental Health and was told that the reason for my depression was "because I was deaf"....and suggested anti-depressants...Did that help?...Not really...Time and knowing that "this too, shall pass"...and it has but I still have days thinking of it all, among other things that had depressed me....as for myself and IMO...I did not have an Illness...and no amount of therapy (at $90/hour) or meds was gonna solve "my problem"...but myself...I chose to deal with it...go on...knowing that worserer things have happened to other people....I chose to be happy regardless of what has happened in my Life...as I only have 1 Life to live...chose not to be unhappy...It's on me.
You're one of the one's who got better! With deafness most go through the five stages of grief, but most eventually get to acceptance. Depression like addiction is a disease. Some go into remission and they get better, some relapse and some don't make it.

And that is what I’d call situational depression, not clinical (such as a chemical imbalance). You had two major situations that naturally would depress someone. Those will usually go away on their own eventually.

Harkening back to the comment of coffee and addiction...

I once had a client who was... in her 20s/30s? I don't remember anymore) who was actually addicted to coffee. She could finish off an entire pot in the AM.. wander down to the cafeteria and either buy coffee with her money, beg others to buy her one (a 32 oz coffee no less) or on a few occasions steal, then back to her residential building and have MORE coffee (and sometimes soda). AND at least once we tried to keep her from leaving to go to the cafeteria and she threw a tantrum (yes a tantrum.. ah.. yes... she has intellectual disability at a moderate level- sorry I'm still thinking in terms used when I worked there). So yep addicted to the core.

Rare one I know but I had to share.

As for situational vs clinical depression a friend of mine put it this way (with a few minor additions from me)...
in general with situational you CAN actually point to a reason FOR the depression... with clinical it's very very hard to, or you just can't, point to any given reason why you are depressed, it's 'nameless'.
Sometimes situational and clinical is intermingled; one does eventually go away but the other one doesn't always unless there's meds or counseling that will lessen it.

Back