Accomddations for the d/Deaf should be made more visible

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like you're working things out regarding your own identity, HHissue. If you truly see yourself as a person with a hearing loss, without offering suggestions to help society as a whole rather than yourself, why are you rocking the boat unless you're unsure of yourself? May I suggest seeing a counseller?

Frankly, the general hearing loss population is in no danger of Deaf awareness. After all, only one million or so people knows ASL, oppose to 30 million with a hearing loss. Why do you view Deaf culture as a threat to your being? You are in the majority.

True.

Wirelessly posted

Frankly, I wish most cities, outside of major metros, have the budget to maintain the transit schedule on Google Maps. But that's more of a blind thing than a deaf thing.

I do wish trains and busses are outfitted with LED lights or scrolling signs notifying passengers what street, station or district they are in.

Wirelessly postedI do wish trains and busses are outfitted with LED lights or scrolling signs notifying passengers what street, station or district they are in.

Which shouldn't be difficult to do, all they need to do is put in a GPS and program it to display the street name they are.

A Deaf-friendly sign on shops and drive-throughs specifying that the staff in the shop have been educated to accomodate the Deaf.

When I do historic re-enactment and blacksmithing demonstrations at museums and county fairs I always post this sign at my area.

ASL-Understood.jpg

Sometime some of the deaf people just like the feeling that they're "just one of the guys". And don't necessarily always want to be reminded of their deafness or have everything to do with just the deaf. And that they may just perceive themselves to be a "person first who just happens to have an hearing loss" rather than expanding or exaggerating their deaf identity and live in a "deaf this or deaf that..." sense like the way some of the deaf people do. Just my 2 cents.

Then that's their own issue to deal with. Means that have a personal problem with their deafness if they dont want anything reminding them of their deafness. I know because I used to be like that. Now, I want all the accodomations so I dont have to struggle pretending to be someone I am not.

One thing they could improve is the accessibility at train and bus stations. God knows how many times I've had to ask people if this was the right one to go on or not. They don't always tell you what platform it is on, and sometimes on the sign it is outdated information.

That would be a very very important step to take.

Wirelessly posted

Frankly, I wish most cities, outside of major metros, have the budget to maintain the transit schedule on Google Maps. But that's more of a blind thing than a deaf thing.

I do wish trains and busses are outfitted with LED lights or scrolling signs notifying passengers what street, station or district they are in.

Yes, it is a good idea. I noticed they have those scrolling signs on the trains in Norway (it being an EU countries they cater for a multi-lingual society) very apt for the Deaf too.

Then that's their own issue to deal with. Means that have a personal problem with their deafness if they dont want anything reminding them of their deafness. I know because I used to be like that. Now, I want all the accodomations so I dont have to struggle pretending to be someone I am not.

I'm the same as Shel. :D

I fly alone often and I really wish they would notify us what zone they are boarding. Originally, I would ask the flight people at the gate to tell me, but most of the time, they forget about me. Bastards. Now, I just sneak a peek at people's boarding tickets and find one that has my zone. Now I go when that person goes. ;)

Delta (and perhaps other airlines?) do have TVs by each gate and most of the time, they tell us what zone is boarding. Thanks, Delta!!!

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like you're working things out regarding your own identity, HHissue. If you truly see yourself as a person with a hearing loss, without offering suggestions to help society as a whole rather than yourself, why are you rocking the boat unless you're unsure of yourself? May I suggest seeing a counseller?
One way I look at it is that I think it would be helpful if there'd be more support or momentum going towards the "hearing better route". And that more funds or donations be contributed towards the different science or technology research that has to do with helping those with an hearing loss to hear better. How's that for a solution?

You clearly have self-esteem issues if it's such a bother to be reminded of your hearing loss.
Then isn't that kind of saying that all of the deaf or those with an hearing loss has to be the same and that if they're not, it's only those that does not fit what you think this "deaf identity" should be about are the ones you think has self-esteem issues?

A Deaf-friendly sign on shops and drive-throughs specifying that the staff in the shop have been educated to accomodate the Deaf.

Would love to see that in practice. The only latest technology I have seen at McDonalds was thru the drive thru you speak into the speaker and then your order will show up on the screen along with cost of meal, but not useful for the deaf, tho.

A TV Channel designated to Deaf

We have that on channel 31 once a week, I think.

One thing they could improve is the accessibility at train and bus stations. God knows how many times I've had to ask people if this was the right one to go on or not. They don't always tell you what platform it is on, and sometimes on the sign it is outdated information.

I agree. I had to ask sometimes whether if it's the right train etc. If a train staff happens to be in the vicinity then I'll ask them.

I agree! I almost miss the train recently. sheesh, It would be great if there does add the outdoor light signs by the train platforms.

Great idea. I'd love it if they installed it at every single stations instead of the main stations.

I fly alone often and I really wish they would notify us what zone they are boarding. Originally, I would ask the flight people at the gate to tell me, but most of the time, they forget about me. Bastards. Now, I just sneak a peek at people's boarding tickets and find one that has my zone. Now I go when that person goes. ;)

Delta (and perhaps other airlines?) do have TVs by each gate and most of the time, they tell us what zone is boarding. Thanks, Delta!!!

When I traveled alone and if I waited at the gate to board. I'd ask the staff to let me know when my number comes up and then sit right in front of them so they don't forget lil old me. Sometimes they'd let me get on first. :)

When I traveled alone and if I waited at the gate to board. I'd ask the staff to let me know when my number comes up and then sit right in front of them so they don't forget lil old me. Sometimes they'd let me get on first. :)

That's why I always ask for the pre-boarding pass whenever I'm at an airport. This way, I get onto the plane first.

Then isn't that kind of saying that all of the deaf or those with an hearing loss has to be the same and that if they're not, it's only those that does not fit what you think this "deaf identity" should be about are the ones you think has self-esteem issues?

That doesn't make any sense. Besides, I wasn't talking about deaf identity. It doesn't bother me to be reminded of my hearing loss.

Would love to see that in practice. The only latest technology I have seen at McDonalds was thru the drive thru you speak into the speaker and then your order will show up on the screen along with cost of meal, but not useful for the deaf, tho.

We have that on channel 31 once a week, I think.

I agree. I had to ask sometimes whether if it's the right train etc. If a train staff happens to be in the vicinity then I'll ask them.

Great idea. I'd love it if they installed it at every single stations instead of the main stations.

How do you get access to Channel 13? I think it is only available in Melbourne?

speaking of boarding - i always try to score first class tickets (two ways; im big and deaf.) and board last.

Wirelessly posted

HHIssues said:
souggy said:

One way I look at it is that I think it would be helpful if there'd be more support or momentum going towards the "hearing better route". And that more funds or donations be contributed towards the different science or technology research that has to do with helping those with an hearing loss to hear better. How's that for a solution?

You don't understand...

500,000 to 1,000,000 culturally Deaf people versus a 30,000,000 hearing loss population? Do the 1,000,000 culturally Deaf need to fork over money to help the 30,000,000? Seriously. I think the bases are covered with businesses donating to CI and stem cell research and baby boomers buying hearing aids. What more can the culturally Deaf do? Unlike the late deaf, most of culturally Deaf have friends and families to attend to? A lot of them don't have an empty nest to look after.

In your context, it's better to unite over issues that everyone, even tourists and foreigners, have in common: access to captioning, access to signs, web accessibility and many more.

Last edited:

A lot of stuff has been done to help those that lost their hearing, those that were born with a loss and others, regain whatever hearing they want. There are still quite a lot of us, who either will not benefit form that technology or such and who also don't wish to. We have embraced and accepted our hearing loss and deafness as a way of life and are happy for the most part. We would just like to be treated as equals. They make accommodations for the low vision, blind, and wheelchair bound, why not the hoh/deaf? Most places I have been in for a few years, have elevators available for the wheelchairs, and braille for the low vision/blind. I think they could do more for us hoh/deaf as well. I'm not talking about CI's, HA's or whatever else. Like others have said, we just want something to let us know which gate to get to for a plane, when our food order is ready, proper captioning for the television and movies.

Back