Accessibility on an airplane

CSign

Reaction score
For those who fly... When the flight attendants are doing their speel about oxygen masks, emergency exits etc., how do you get the information? I tried to ask the flight attendant, and she didn't have an answer for me. Knowing what to do in an emergency is important, so what do you do?

For those who fly... When the flight attendants are doing their speel about oxygen masks, emergency exits etc., how do you get the information? I tried to ask the flight attendant, and she didn't have an answer for me. Knowing what to do in an emergency is important, so what do you do?

I know this anyway, but if you watch, they point and gesture so much it's pretty easy to know what to do even if you had no idea before.

Plus, before I do anything I haven't done before, I have usually read and researched a lot about it.

I don't enjoy surprises.

Most deaf people aren't completely helpless.

I know this anyway, but if you watch, they point and gesture so much it's pretty easy to know what to do even if you had no idea before.

Same goes for people that don't understand English....it is all gesturing, so you are not missing any additional info.

Plus, before I do anything I haven't done before, I have usually read and researched a lot about it.

I don't enjoy surprises.

Most deaf people aren't completely helpless.

I am not under the belief deaf people are helpless.

Your point about doing research beforehand is good.

Same goes for people that don't understand English....it is all gesturing, so you are not missing any additional info.

Yes, but when they gesture towards the seat you don't know they are saying it can be used as a floatation device unless you already knew that information. That's one example that popped in my head.

Simply watch passenger next to you and see what they do. I've flew few times and I've never seen the need of using oxygen mask.

Is that how you spell that word? :) :ty:

:lol: Yes it is.

And as for the flotation device, it's possible I wouldn't notice that, but I expect to die if my plane crashes in the ocean anyway.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

There are often laminated "safety instructons" either in the pocket of the seat, or the flight attendant wil give you one.

It uses pictures and simple language to explain what to do in an emergency, what the seatbelt signs mean, that there's no smoking etc.

On my flight back in November, I had indicated on my "profile" that I am deaf. The FA came to me to make sure I was ok and if I had any questions. I didn't because they did the safety instructions on the tv in the headrest in front of me and it had CC.
Plus, as another mentioned, there are instructions with lots of pics, at each seat.

There are often laminated "safety instructons" either in the pocket of the seat, or the flight attendant wil give you one.

It uses pictures and simple language to explain what to do in an emergency, what the seatbelt signs mean, that there's no smoking etc.

So essentially the individual needs to seek out the information on their own. That makes sense. It would be nice if they would just write out what they say every time, but most if that information can be received if they look at the card. I forgot about that.

On my flight back in November, I had indicated on my "profile" that I am deaf. The FA came to me to make sure I was ok and if I had any questions. I didn't because they did the safety instructions on the tv in the headrest in front of me and it had CC.
Plus, as another mentioned, there are instructions with lots of pics, at each seat.

We flew Alaska which didn't have the video with CC. They had little "Dig-E" players for movies, TV shows etc.. Which airline did you fly on? What you are describing sounds ideal and IMO should be available through all airlines.

We flew Alaska which didn't have the video with CC. They had little "Dig-E" players for movies, TV shows etc.. Which airline did you fly on? What you are describing sounds ideal and IMO should be available through all airlines.

I flew Delta. Of course, it doesn't mean all Delta flights have the TVs, etc.

I did send Delta an email telling them I appreciated the FA acknowledging me (that I was deaf per the manifest) and for the safety instructions being on the TV w/CC.

I also asked them to not send out wheelchairs for the deaf. :giggle: (this was discussed in another thread).

I flew Delta. Of course, it doesn't mean all Delta flights have the TVs, etc.

I did send Delta an email telling them I appreciated the FA acknowledging me (that I was deaf per the manifest) and for the safety instructions being on the TV w/CC.

I also asked them to not send out wheelchairs for the deaf. :giggle: (this was discussed in another thread).

LOL. I saw that thread. It's almost comical.

That was nice you followed up with an email expressing your appreciation. It will probably make them more inclined to meet the needs of their d/Deaf passengers.

LOL. I saw that thread. It's almost comical.

That was nice you followed up with an email expressing your appreciation. It will probably make them more inclined to meet the needs of their d/Deaf passengers.

They did send a reply and said they would pass on my appreciation and concerns to the appropriate people. I hope to fly Delta in August...if the prices aren't too bad (as I'm going to be making last minute bookings when my grandson decides to make his appearance). I'll have to remember to notice if an employee is pushing a wheelchair around looking for the deaf person who "requested" it. :cool2:

Every time we've flown one of the FAs has noted my daughter's deafness (which I always indicate when booking and at check-in) and come over to take her through the safety instructions face to face, demonstrating each component, which I think is really nice. As Anij mentioned, those laminated safety cards are just fine for the purpose of clarifying all the safety procedures in advance.

I do worry about this, though. And I don't know of a good solution. We've been assigned to separate rows before, even after booking seats together -- which I think is ridiculous, she was 5 at the time. In case of an actual emergency there likely wouldn't likely be an opp for such one on one accommodation or a little laminated card letting us know what was being announced. I've been in several "rough landings" including two in which we were rapidly instructed in several languages to brace and given instructions for when to raise heads (and when not to). Because of the outcry in the cabin as FAs were translating for the different nationalities, people calling instructions out to family members across rows and praying loudly, and the noise of the engines, I doubt my daughter would easily be able to follow the instructions and know what was going on around her, especially with head down, even with CIs on. Without CIs, there'd be no visible instruction provided in an emergency situation. If I were next to her, I could push her head down and place her body/items correctly, squeezing her hand to let her know all was well, but I'm certain there will be times she'll fly alone in the not so distant future.

Grendel, it's those unforeseen circumstances like you described which worry me the most.

Yes, I was going to post about this, too. The only hitch I had one time traveling with my DD (daughter) was when we sat inadvertently in the seats that would have to be moved to exist the plane in an emergency. The stewardess made us change seats when she found out I was hard of hearing because the people in those seats have to be able to follow verbal instructions for everyone's safety in existing the plane in an emergency. The flight was full and we would have been separated in seating if some kind passengers hadn't changed seats so we could still sit together.

Back