About to get my first hearing aides

DianeLinton

Reaction score
Within a week or two. I am very nervous yet excited at the same time. My mother said that it can be frustrating at first. My family is very excited. I think they have some unrealistic expectations though. My husband though I was going to sleep in them! I think they assume the close captioning will be off the tv from now on and I will magically hear all.
It was also found that I have a thyroid issue. So on meds for that now. So many changes so fast, but positive.

Any advice for a first time HA user?

To stick with it even if it doesn't sound very good at first as it takes time for your brain to get used to the sound :)

I used to go back and forth between contacts and glasses. Now I use glasses only when my hearing aid is out, and I use contacts most of the time. Less behind my ear :)

There's a thread about hearing aids messing up your hair. Might help you if you get feedback or the kkkkkkkkkkkghdjghd sound when your hair hits the mic

Mine on auto will hear the kitchen fan, washer/dryer etc and mute everything around (for "sound in noise")... I've asked my boyfriend to be mindful of always shutting the laundry door and turning off the fan when he can because it bugs the hearing aids.

If you watch a lot of TV and movies you might consider a TVLink... It cleans up the sound and feeds it right into the hearing aids - good for watching with hearing people.

It does take "time" to get used to a new Hearing aid. Also, it should be ON all the time. Except when sleeping/swimming etc.

The reason for the above to get used to everything that you missed before-though unaware.

Aside: more so when one has a Cochlear Implant.

[FONT=&quot]I had been suffering from Sensorineural hearing loss for last several years. But now I am using hearing aids and which seems to be very helpful for people with mild and severe hearing loss. You no longer have to ask to repeat or speak loudly and also become more aware of hazards.[/FONT]

Back