About the phrase.....

dogmom

Reaction score
I have something I want to say....

when we put out the phrase " something <object/idea/action> is retarded" - <which is meant to be a put-down, and most are aware of the original terminology/use of "retarded"> to equal "something is stupid" ....it negates the actual complexity and abilities of people with intellectual and cognitive disabilities.
It makes it seem ok because we're talking about some THING - but I don't think it is.

This isn't about PC, which I think sometimes becomes a facade. It's about de-humanization.

These are my thoughts on it.

Good point.

I have seen, however, people who are using a gadget - say a kitchen can opener - that is not cooperating, say "this stupid can opener is retarded !!!!" It's definitely a put down to the can opener, but unfortunately for the can opener, it doesn't have feelings. So .. I think the context is important as to whether it's a true put-down or not ..

Just my 2 cents.

:lol: Maybe as a way to shed shortcomings?

"If all else fails, blame it on the can opener/cat/dog etc."

Good point.

I have seen, however, people who are using a gadget - say a kitchen can opener - that is not cooperating, say "this stupid can opener is retarded !!!!" It's definitely a put down to the can opener, but unfortunately for the can opener, it doesn't have feelings. So .. I think the context is important as to whether it's a true put-down or not ..

Just my 2 cents.

Back