Abi

deafgal001

Reaction score
pabigraphic2.jpg

if CI can not be done, would you do the auditory brainstem implant?

Neurinoma

I don't think I would. I've done some reading on the ABI, and admit to being nervous about the fact that it involves the brainstem. Even though I chose to receive bilateral CIs to increase my own personal safety, improve my hearing, etc. the ABI seems like a risk (for me) not worth taking.

I know this sounds nuts but if a vast majority says"no" to this, does this mean we need to increase vigilance to see to it that no lawmakers (via CI lobbyists) legislate implanting deaf babies? Stranger things have happened, yanno.....

I know this sounds nuts but if a vast majority says"no" to this, does this mean we need to increase vigilance to see to it that no lawmakers (via CI lobbyists) legislate implanting deaf babies? Stranger things have happened, yanno.....

Vast majority being, what, the 3 people on this thread who said they don't want one here? Or would you poll all US citizens to see if they want to legislate against the development of medical care for the deaf. Or would you see what those responsible for the health of deaf babies (their parents) want available as a choice?

It's not a cochlear implant, so I don't know why CI lobbyists would be involved.

I might look at surgery that restores vision or provides an alternative to natural sight and feel queasy about the cutting and blood and proximity to the optic nerve, and I may feel that I personally don't need it or wouldn't choose it for my child, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go after the National Federation for the Blind or lobby congress to stop people who want the surgery from pursuing it.

Vast majority being, what, the 3 people on this thread who said they don't want one here? Or would you poll all US citizens to see if they want to legislate against the development of medical care for the deaf. Or would you see what those responsible for the health of deaf babies (their parents) want available as a choice?

It's not a cochlear implant, so I don't know why CI lobbyists would be involved.

I might look at surgery that restores vision or provides an alternative to natural sight and feel queasy about the cutting and blood and proximity to the optic nerve, and I may feel that I personally don't need it or wouldn't choose it for my child, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go after the National Federation for the Blind or lobby congress to stop people who want the surgery from pursuing it.

I don't know about polling, etc; I was just theorizing that the end result was enough nays to where it would be an economic concern for the manufacturer of this thing. Better now?

P.S. Did you miss where I basically said mandate the implantation?

Good post!

I thought ABI was only for specific kinds of hearing loss.

I guess that narrows the candidacy group down even more as regards what I was trying to get across....oh, well.....

Last edited:
I thought ABI was only for specific kinds of hearing loss.
It is. I was just asking would they do ABI for those certain type of hearing loss:
The type of hearing loss who can't do CI are:
" Neurofibromatosis Type II (NF2), a hereditary disease that can cause profound hearing loss through the growth of bilateral tumors on the vestibular nerves. Because of the location of these tumors, their removal typically necessitates severing the auditory nerve. A cochlear implant cannot be used because the auditory nerve is not able to carry signals from the cochlea to the cochlear nucleus in the brainstem.
(There are rare cases of bilateral absence of the cochlear nerve or bilateral damage to the cochlear nerve from accidents, where an ABI might be indicated.)"

I wouldn't do it. Too risky. I'm glad there are alternative way to communicate than go through this type of surgery.

Ditto what deafgal001 said.

If they had 30 years or so of work in this area, I might consider it. Right now, it is too much of a hit or miss affair.

in Ontario (toronto) they only do ABI if you have NF2, and even then i think only a few have been done.
*EQL*

They do it for "bilateral absence of the cochlear nerve or bilateral damage to the cochlear nerve from accidents" as well. And I was asking what if you can't get CI because you have one of those condition, would you do it?

Back