A way to induce temporary deafness?

Okay, I'm back. I was so completely disgusted by what I read that I couldn't continue past page 4. :barf: I can't believe there are actually some ADers who *support* these wannabes. One ADer said that there was strength in numbers while another said they didn't see anything wrong with being a wannabe as long as it wasn't hurting anyone. I just don't get it... :roll:

I was more saddened than disgusted, it made me want to cry. I must be having a weird night. I am not usually emotional.

Okay, I'm back. I was so completely disgusted by what I read that I couldn't continue past page 4. :barf: I can't believe there are actually some ADers who *support* these wannabes. One ADer said that there was strength in numbers while another said they didn't see anything wrong with being a wannabe as long as it wasn't hurting anyone. I just don't get it... :roll:

if your like me the thread probably left you feeling more stupid than what you started with. it was honestly one of those 'lower your iq" threads.

Oh yeah if they said there is strength in numbers, well then I say to never underestimate the power of stupidity. :giggle:

Nor do I.

I don't get why people want to make themselves deaf ...

Why would anyone do harm to their ears just to make them lose their hearing? I don't get it.

if your like me the thread probably left you feeling more stupid than what you started with. it was honestly one of those 'lower your iq" threads.

Oh yeah if they said there is strength in numbers, well then I say to never underestimate the power of stupidity. :giggle:

:lol:

Oh, believe me, it did. I feel like my IQ has dropped 100 points. :giggle:

Lol. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I was more saddened than disgusted, it made me want to cry. I must be having a weird night. I am not usually emotional.

I can see why that thread would make you feel that way, Bott.

I don't know where these wannabes get the idea that mental health professionals aren't willing to address BIID.

Since I have Bipolar, I've done ALOT of reading on various mental illnesses and have found a good deal of research on BIID.

And Jillio, I think you're right. I highly doubt that BIID will be added to the DSM-V.

Personally, I think these wannabes would rather continue with their behavior for attention's sake than to work with a tdoc (therapist) who can help them improve their overall self-esteem. That's sad, if you ask me.

I don't get why people want to make themselves deaf ...

Why would anyone do harm to their ears just to make them lose their hearing? I don't get it.

Yeah, I mean, I can understand being curious about different experiences. I know I wonder what it would be like to be deaf, but I also wonder about what it would be like to be tall. :lol: If there were some temporary way to try it, I'm sure I'd be interested just for the experience (like if a hypnosis thing would work), but the same way that it would be neat to be tall for a day, or something like that. I can't imagine thinking that somehow physically destroying my ears would be a rewarding experience.... :shock:

Just sharing here...I feel like I get a small idea of what is being deaf when I go to youtube and watch some sign stories. I find myself reaching for the volume on my speakers, then I go thru a frustration at not having a clue of what theyre saying. Then I experience a bit of panic.

I remember one of my ears getting blocked a few years ago and feeling panicked and like i was suffocating and actually having an urge to run out in the street and scream, lol. It was a very uncomfortable, maddening experience.

Hey guys. I haven't checked this thread in a while. I figured it disappeared into obscurity. Anyway, this would just be a temporary experiment for a few days at most to satisfy my curiosity. I don't understand why anyone would want to permanently damage their ears. I love music too much!

I hadn't thought of hypnosis. Perhaps the cue could be a smell, like the hypnotist could spray some air freshener near my nose. I'll have to try it sometime if I meet a hypnotist and know I won't need my hearing for the next few days.

Hey guys. I haven't checked this thread in a while. I figured it disappeared into obscurity. Anyway, this would just be a temporary experiment for a few days at most to satisfy my curiosity. I don't understand why anyone would want to permanently damage their ears. I love music too much!

I hadn't thought of hypnosis. Perhaps the cue could be a smell, like the hypnotist could spray some air freshener near my nose. I'll have to try it sometime if I meet a hypnotist and know I won't need my hearing for the next few days.

Still have the problem of being given the post hypnotic suggestion once you are deafened.

You can't get the suggestion to come out until you are already hypnotized??

Yes, post hypnotic suggestions are given once the hypnotic state has been induced. What will bring one out of the state is a post hypnotic suggestion.

I know what you mean; at times I have wondered myself what it would be like fully deaf. I also wondered what it would be like to be fully normal hearing ...

Wondering what it would be like (being curious) and actually doing harm to yourself (to 'make' yourself deaf) are two different things. I will never understand why people do harm to themselves intentionally.

its only barely related but, I recall a couple of years ago when I worked in a data center, I was tired and being lazy with my chair tipped back. I could hear the sound of the air conditioning, the fans in the servers, hard drives, it is a very noisey environment... Then for a couple of seconds it went completely silent, when I realised this, sound came back abruptly.

I do hypnosis, I have made people incapable of seeing objects, unable to feel pain and unable to move their body.. I suspect its a possability that in fact a hypnotist could make you deaf, maybe go to a stage show and ask them to add it to the routine or something. *shrugs*

It'd be nice to be unable to feel pain.

It'd be nice to be unable to feel pain.

Not really - there's a condition called CIPA (Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis) ...which the person can't feel pain. In most cases it also means you can't feel your bladder is full, or that you've cut yourself, or have an infection, or broken bone etc. They also have a lot of trouble regulating body temp and can die from fever or hypothermia etc.

It sounds like not having pain might be nice, in theory, but in practice it's often a death sentence due to related complications.

Back