A way to induce temporary deafness?

Believe it or not, there's a list on Yahoo! Groups called "Deaf Wannabes." These people discuss all kinds of ways to induce deafness -- everything from exposing themselves to loud music to pointing a hair dryer at one's ears for 10 minutes. I used to be a member of that list (for curiosity's sake), but eventually left out of disgust.

We had a thread started about that a while back. Then the wannabe amputees joined it. It got pretty wierd. They all claimed that pdocs didn't help them and the only way to treat their illness was to make them deaf or amputate the offending limb. We got into a lenghty discussion of treatments and diagnoses, and of course they had a "Yes, but" answer for everything. Needless to say, it got a bit ugly, the Gestalt came out in me, and I refused to buy into their excuses.:lol:

We had a thread started about that a while back. Then the wannabe amputees joined it. It got pretty wierd. They all claimed that pdocs didn't help them and the only way to treat their illness was to make them deaf or amputate the offending limb. We got into a lenghty discussion of treatments and diagnoses, and of course they had a "Yes, but" answer for everything. Needless to say, it got a bit ugly, the Gestalt came out in me, and I refused to buy into their excuses.:lol:

I must not have been here yet.:hmm:It sounds like a fun argument.

I must not have been here yet.:hmm:It sounds like a fun argument.

No, it was before your time. Interesting thread if you want to pull it from the archives on a day when you are bored. It got very long and detailed.

No, it was before your time. Interesting thread if you want to pull it from the archives on a day when you are bored. It got very long and detailed.

I am going to bookmark this and pull it when I come back tonight!:wave:

I wasn't here to see that thread. How do I search for it on AD? I'd like to read more.

I just don't understand the need for someone to deliberately create deafness or physical disability.

By the way, what *is* the recommended treatment for people who suffer from these kinds of illnesses? CBT?

By the way, I'm glad you didn't buy into their excuses. :) What were some of the excuses they had?

I don't get it, either. We had a lengthly discussion about this some time back. I re-read that thread about "Deaf wannabes", and it's just beyond me, too.

Was that the title of the thread? If so, I vaguely remember reading it.

I wasn't here to see that thread. How do I search for it on AD? I'd like to read more.

I just don't understand the need for someone to deliberately create deafness or physical disability.

By the way, what *is* the recommended treatment for people who suffer from these kinds of illnesses? CBT?

By the way, I'm glad you didn't buy into their excuses. :) What were some of the excuses they had?

It was in what used to be the Health forum. I believe the title was "Deaf Wannabes". I'd say go to the Lifestyles forum now that has the health topics, and use the search feature to enter "Deaf wannabes."

Oh, excuses like, "my pdoc just doesn't understand my disorder. I am not mentally ill. I have a foreign body part that needs to be removed. I've tried all kinds of treatment. Nothing works." All the usuals of the non-compliant and resistant client. Ethically, I cannot let them make such excuses without pointing out the incongruencies in their statements, and letting them know that treatment is only effective when the client wants to get better. They are obviously getting some sort of secondary gain from their behavior and, as a consequence, are unwilling to do what they need to do to get better.

CBT is a good course to follow to get symptoms under control. Also some of the more in depth psychodynamic techniques to get to origin of the behaviors. Gestalt is effective, and I would like to see some literature on the use of DBT with these cases.

Never mind. Looks like Bott already linked it for you.

Thanks, Bott.

That thought occurred to me, but if it were really that simple, how come there are numerous studies examining the effects between a d/Deaf person's response to hypnotism vs. a hearing person's response to hypnotism? According to these studies, d/Deaf clients are less responsive to hypnotism than those who can hear. (Just do a Google search for "deaf + hypnotism" for more information.)

mm. I hadn't known that.

Ha, ha I remember that thread very well and I remember wanting to just :iough: as these people are prolly very manipulative and I didn't want to get involed with that!

Well, I am back and I read the old thread, and I have to say it was just embarrassing and sad. So I don't think there is much to discuss.:(

Yes I do recall the thread was embarrassing to read in certain parts, and further along the discussion went, the further it degraded, especially on the part of the amputee wannabes that were looking for someone to justify their behaviour.

Yes I do recall the thread was embarrassing to read in certain parts, and further along the discussion went, the further it degraded, especially on the part of the amputee wannabes that were looking for someone to justify their behaviour.

And became very combative when they didn't get what they wanted.:giggle:

And became very combative when they didn't get what they wanted.:giggle:

I never knew about that disorder. It seems to me it should tie in to Munchausen's somehow.(said the amateur psychologist)

Back