A Scary New World

Victoria Jarvis

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Victoria. My doctor told me yesterday that I will go deaf soon. An utter shock. I live alone, without friends nor family. I am very close to God. I pray that you will reach out to me because I cannot imagine how many of you have walked the same path.

Greetings and welcome, was Hard-of-Hearing most my life if not all and just not noticed, after severe illness and at least a year of antibiotics my hearing took a noticeable drop, was able to get aids and started relearning ASL, that was 7 years ago now, my hearing has slowly decreased, last test this summer I finly crosed the line to severe, I get new aids next week, I too live alone, and my lack of hearing is not a problem though one does need to not leave the stove while cooking, don't know where your hearing level is but can be such a long and drawn out slow process you may not notice till it's pointed out to you, this sight and others can be a great comfort, embrace change and be an adventurer :welcome:

Hello everyone. My name is Victoria. My doctor told me yesterday that I will go deaf soon. An utter shock. I live alone, without friends nor family. I am very close to God. I pray that you will reach out to me because I cannot imagine how many of you have walked the same path.
I no how u feel

Hi @Victoria Jarvis - I won't lie to you and say it will be easy, but I will say it does get better. I recently had total hearing loss this past march and it was life-changing for me. I had been deaf in one ear first for almost a decade before total loss, but It has definitely been an eye opening and humbling experience. If you are a deep thinker or have any trauma in your life, the silence at first will be pretty unbearable to get used to. That gets better! Try reading some books on Late Deafened people and how they cope. Also the Book "Life after Deaf" may be helpful to you as well.

Seek out support groups and hang out with the deaf community. Immersing and educating yourself with a lifestyle can help you better understand it and in turn that knowledge gives you a bit of comfort rather than the unknowing.

If you ever need to chat, feel free to message me. I am new to site, but there are quite a few great members on here willing to show support :)

`Bex

Back