A question about my little guy

savjay

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a little guy who is 4. He just got his tonsils out and tubes in his ears. We have always been able to whisper his name and he looks but when he tries to speak he sounds deaf. He barely speaks because he is unable to form most words. Is there something where he may only be hearing certain sounds? Thank you for your help!

Get him into speech therapy ASAP. Call your local school district. It is likely that he just has some catching up to do, and needs some help to do that quicker. They may not want to test his hearing for a while. Good luck!

Hello,
I have a little guy who is 4. He just got his tonsils out and tubes in his ears. We have always been able to whisper his name and he looks but when he tries to speak he sounds deaf. He barely speaks because he is unable to form most words. Is there something where he may only be hearing certain sounds? Thank you for your help!
He needs an exam by a pediatric audiologist and to be evaluated by a speech, language pathologist. Your local school district is required to provide one if your child is delayed.

Hello,

Are you from Bizarre World?

I am a woman from Canada.
What do you mean when you say it is obvious to you? My brother is deaf and I will be discussing this with him as well. I just thought different ideas on here would be helpful. Thank you everyone for your answers!

Don't be discouraged. A pediatric audiologist will be able to confirm if your son can hear certain sounds or frequencies. If that's the case, I believe hearing aids can be programmed to amplify those certain decibels or frequencies. Do loud noises startle him? Does he look around if you clap under a table or behind a wall? Just ideas to see what he can and can't hear. As for why he sounds deaf, it could be just because he doesn't speak much, so he hasn't learned his voice. A speech therapist will be able to help that, too. When I try to get my implanted daughter to repeat a word, I put my pointer finger next to my mouth to show her I'm saying something. I say the word a few times with my finger there. Then I put my finger next to her mouth and sometimes it prompts her to repeat the word. Doesn't work all the time, but there are lots of times that it does. You could try that. Even if he's not hearing you, maybe he'll start to mimic the movements of your mouth, like if you say, "moooo". He can see the shape of your mouth and mimic it. Good luck :)

Don't be discouraged. A pediatric audiologist will be able to confirm if your son can hear certain sounds or frequencies. If that's the case, I believe hearing aids can be programmed to amplify those certain decibels or frequencies. Do loud noises startle him? Does he look around if you clap under a table or behind a wall? Just ideas to see what he can and can't hear. As for why he sounds deaf, it could be just because he doesn't speak much, so he hasn't learned his voice. A speech therapist will be able to help that, too. When I try to get my implanted daughter to repeat a word, I put my pointer finger next to my mouth to show her I'm saying something. I say the word a few times with my finger there. Then I put my finger next to her mouth and sometimes it prompts her to repeat the word. Doesn't work all the time, but there are lots of times that it does. You could try that. Even if he's not hearing you, maybe he'll start to mimic the movements of your mouth, like if you say, "moooo". He can see the shape of your mouth and mimic it. Good luck :)

this. that's how my parents found out I had hearing loss too (wore hearing aids since I was 6 months old)

Even if he doesn't have hearing loss- check out speech therapy or similar anyway. My nephew went to one when he was a toddler- he wasn't exactly talking much by the usual milestone. Now he's in his mid teens... and won't shut up lol. (He's a great kid though).

Back