A person that hates gay people wants to be an interpreter

pixiestix

Reaction score
She hates gay community, unfriended people since the SCOTUS day, thinks being gay is wrong wrong, etc.. whatever

She is studying to be an interpreter.

I don't think she should be an interpreter because I know a large number of deaf people in the large city (Seattle) are gay.

DO u think she should be an interpreter or not?

She's angry that the Sweet Cupcakes are having to pay the lesbian couple $135,000 for discrimination. Well, I was discriminated at the hospital because I was denied an interpreter in the emergency room and I was in great pain. I only got $1,000 settlement.

Your thoughts?

Well, her religious beliefes are hers,and should be respected as such.as long as she is professional, in her job as a terp. There should be no plm.

Agree with Hoichi (! ;) ). As long as she does not allow her feelings/opinions of the gay community cross over into her job as an interpreter there's no reason why she can't be an interpreter. She can always turn down any jobs that she deems connected to the gay community. Or... she can move to somewhere where there is much less of a 'gay presence'.

I don't think it's any of your business , that would up to the people that will use her as an interpreter .

She hates gay community, unfriended people since the SCOTUS day, thinks being gay is wrong wrong, etc.. whatever

She is studying to be an interpreter.

I don't think she should be an interpreter because I know a large number of deaf people in the large city (Seattle) are gay.

She's angry that the Sweet Cupcakes are having to pay the lesbian couple $135,000 for discrimination. Well, I was discriminated at the hospital because I was denied an interpreter in the emergency room and I was in great pain. I only got $1,000 settlement.

Your thoughts?

Her personal feelings are her own business, as long as she can keep that separate from her work, it shouldn't prevent her from being a good interpreter.

I know a fanatic Christian interpreter, and as far as I know, there aren't any client complaints.

Like everyone else said, as a professional as long as she does what she's supposed to (interpret accurately) she's fine to go for it. If she lets her personal beliefs interfere with accurate interpreting then she'll eventually just fail in the job.

That said it'd be pretty tough to be publicly anti-gay in Seattle proper. Outside the city there are more conservatives types and someone could probably get away with public bigotry more so than in the city. I'm also surprised she waited until the federal ruling to unfriend people since we've had marriage equality here for 3? years now.

she there to terp not moral judgments,would she terp for mass murderer in court proberly yes that her job

I guess this can cause problem if she let her emotional attitude toward by being against gay person or people if she had to interpret for them. If she want to turn down for interpreting service for gay person or people, then that would be hard on gay people not getting the interpreting service at the last minute.

If she is interest in interpreting, then she has no choice but to interpret Deaf person or people no matter what kind of culture or religion or custom they have. Just got to bear with the deaf gay people and interpret for them.

Ask her why. Not "whatever".

You make it sound like deaf at 90% are gay. Sad to report to you, I'm not gay. At least, I don't hate them.

As long as she respect each other. I also know some student who are against and show respect to the interpreter whoever is gay or not.

Are you say, she was busy by shake her fist to sweet cupcakes while you were in hospital and unable to get an interpreter? Is that why?

When I used to interpret, I never asked the clients about their sex lives. It was none of my business.

When I used to interpret, I never asked the clients about their sex lives. It was none of my business.

Right when hired to interpret for an individual. I can see her turning down doing it for a gay group or an event listed as "for the gay community".

ones sexuality got nothing do with anything.all she has do is turn a job down if she feel it not for her.Both gay and anti gay getting very wearing with so many vocal and public mileage they all make

Right when hired to interpret for an individual. I can see her turning down doing it for a gay group or an event listed as "for the gay community".
It depends. If the terp is an independent contractor ("freelance"), then she is free to turn down any assignments that she wants, unless it's a contracted client. If she works for a private agency, she might be able to refuse those assignments if it's a rare occurrence (there's usually a limit on how many assignments can be turned down by an individual terp); the agency itself usually won't turn them down but will have to find another terp for that job. If she works for a government agency, she might not have that option.

She needs to understand the prevalence of LGBT people in Deaf community. My main concern is how it might affect the way she interprets certain conversations or topics. If she injects her bias into the speakers message then that's a significant issue. Also if she is a participant in Deaf world outside interpreting and vocal of her beliefs, she could get herself blacklisted pretty quick

She needs to understand the prevalence of LGBT people in Deaf community. My main concern is how it might affect the way she interprets certain conversations or topics. If she injects her bias into the speakers message then that's a significant issue. Also if she is a participant in Deaf world outside interpreting and vocal of her beliefs, she could get herself blacklisted pretty quick

I completely agree with this. The Deaf Community is pretty tight and everyone talks, especially about a terp who shows either disdain for those she is terping for, or in the bias she may show in her interptetation. Unless she intends to work solely for religious organizations that share her views, she won't last long in educational, legal, or medical situations.

I completely agree with this. The Deaf Community is pretty tight and everyone talks, especially about a terp who shows either disdain for those she is terping for, or in the bias she may show in her interptetation. Unless she intends to work solely for religious organizations that share her views, she won't last long in educational, legal, or medical situations.
More Deaf need to be proactive in complaining to agency or RID about bad interpreters if they are certified. Also be willing to help interpreters improve of you fell their skill is poor.

Heck, the only reason Sweet Cupcakes was fined what they did was because they doxxed the women. Their actions nearly lost these women the custody of their kids. She probably has no idea what they did.

And yeah, if she can interpret and keep her opinions to herself, that's fine.

I am not part of the Deaf community. But am wondering if the impression I got from the above post is correct. To me it seems soutthpaw is saying that there is a higher percentage of LGBT people in the Deaf community than in the general population. Is this correct?

I am not part of the Deaf community. But am wondering if the impression I got from the above post is correct. To me it seems soutthpaw is saying that there is a higher percentage of LGBT people in the Deaf community than in the general population. Is this correct?

No. It is a consistent percentage across all populations.

No. It is a consistent percentage across all populations.

It looked to me like soutthpaw is saying that it is higher. Even though I expected them to be the same like Bottesini says.

Back