A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

:thumb:

just for fun - I heard about this. during break-in... after taking old oil out, put it in any clear glass jar and then use a strong magnetic stick to try to pick up many tiny metallic pieces in oil. this is usually normal during break-in.
I'll mention it to him.

Tonight Hubby downloaded the free 222-page service manual onto a DVD. He's reading thru it now.

What's problem with your bike?

None and just upgrading swingarm stretched and fat 360 tire in the rear. :naughty:

like this the 360 wide tire kit
pic.php

hahah. :laugh2:

Does anyone here do their own MC oil changes? What do you use to collect the old oil as it drains out?

The oil collecting pan that Hubby uses for our other vehicles is too tall for sliding under the bike. Is there a pan made especially for motorcycles? He improvised today but it was messy and not convenient.

:thumb:

just for fun - I heard about this. during break-in... after taking old oil out, put it in any clear glass jar and then use a strong magnetic stick to try to pick up many tiny metallic pieces in oil. this is usually normal during break-in.
He already poured the old oil into his big dirty oil container. He did visually check it before he poured it, and told me that it looked good.

Does anyone here do their own MC oil changes? What do you use to collect the old oil as it drains out?

The oil collecting pan that Hubby uses for our other vehicles is too tall for sliding under the bike. Is there a pan made especially for motorcycles? He improvised today but it was messy and not convenient.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Quick-Change-Oil-Pump/dp/B0019958D0]Amazon.com: Stearns Quick Change Oil Pump: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

AutoSport Catalog - 7-Liter Hand Pump Oil Extractor - 7-Liter Oil Extractor 800-953-0814

Make your life go easy. No more drain out thru oil pan due mess and no more lift the vehicle up. Put the small hose in the dipstick hole then pump the used oil out.

The oil extractor is perfect for lawn tractor, motorcycle, boat, and vehicle.

Amazon.com: Stearns Quick Change Oil Pump: Sports & Outdoors

AutoSport Catalog - 7-Liter Hand Pump Oil Extractor - 7-Liter Oil Extractor 800-953-0814

Make your life go easy. No more drain out thru oil pan due mess and no more lift the vehicle up. Put the small hose in the dipstick hole then pump the used oil out.

The oil extractor is perfect for lawn tractor, motorcycle, boat, and vehicle.

eh? that's ridiculous. never knew anybody who uses that except when somebody uses wrong oil or liquid in it. even professional mechanics do not use it. expensive. cumbersome. unreliable.

yes. you can use those cheap aluminum-foil turkey pan or this 2 different drain pans. after use - simply pour it into larger container and then after when container's full - simply dispose it properly at the specific location like gas station or wherever.

2007_Western_Power_Sports_5_Gallon_Drain_Pan_Green.jpg
2007_Western_Power_Sport_6-Quart_Oil_Drain_--.jpg

yes. you can use those cheap aluminum-foil turkey pan or this 2 different drain pans. after use - simply pour it into larger container and then after when container's full - simply dispose it properly at the specific location like gas station or wherever.

2007_Western_Power_Sports_5_Gallon_Drain_Pan_Green.jpg
2007_Western_Power_Sport_6-Quart_Oil_Drain_--.jpg
:ty:

eh? that's ridiculous. never knew anybody who uses that except when somebody uses wrong oil or liquid in it. even professional mechanics do not use it. expensive. cumbersome. unreliable.

I do not know why you think it's expensive. You can buy it and use it over and over instead of making a mess under the car. What do you mean by wrong oil? It's used oil and everyone mixed the used oil in same container. Some car do not have oil plug for engine oil and transmission fluid? You had to take engine pan off and transmission pan off. Professional mechanics that I have met, have use this. They like the product and so far they tell me it's reliable. Suggest you don't say negative about it if you haven't tried it. The air evacuation oil drain (most professional mechanics use) that must come with four post lift are expensive than oil extractor.

If you acts like you know everything then how come you send your motorcycle to mechanics for maintenance and upgrade? That's ridiculous!

I do not know why you think it's expensive. You can buy it and use it over and over instead of making a mess under the car.
mess under the car? GOOD! that's a REAL MAN way. get your hands all dirty and have a couple of oil stains on your garage floor! :cool2: and secondly - expensive... because you have to send it in for repair or replace the parts. Do you really think this same device will be fine for years? lastly - how often do you change oil? The oil is going to get dried up in that machine and it could get cloggy. just about every mechanics I know including Reba's husband do it the good ole' fashioned way... oil pan and towel :)

tip - get a brake cleaner spray and it'll clean up the oil stain on floor quite nice.

What do you mean by wrong oil? It's used oil and everyone mixed the used oil in same container.
some people put in wrong oil/fluid in motorcycle. For example - my motorcycle uses 1 oil for everything including engine lubrication. Harley Davidson doesn't. It uses 2 different oil. I'm sure you've heard of people using wrong oil/fluid in their car, don't you? Some people actually poured coolant fluid in container for wiper :giggle:

Some car do not have oil plug for engine oil and transmission fluid? You had to take engine pan off and transmission pan off. Professional mechanics that I have met, have use this. They like the product and so far they tell me it's reliable. Suggest you don't say negative about it if you haven't tried it. The air evacuation oil drain (most professional mechanics use) that must come with four post lift are expensive than oil extractor.
ok but this thread is about motorcycle, not car. we don't need to take engine pan off and transmission pan off. that's why we have motorcycles. so easy to maintain :) but if it's hard to do simple stuff on motorcycle, then it's a stupid bike. My bike is perfect and simple. Just remove this engine guard and huge bolt at the bottom. bam. simple. 5 min job. Other bikes like japanese - takes like 15 min or so. why? gotta remove all these plastic covers.

If you acts like you know everything then how come you send your motorcycle to mechanics for maintenance and upgrade? That's ridiculous!
because I don't have tools, lift, garage and expertise. it's a 12k maintenance. My engine needs to be taken apart and recalibrated and my entire rear section must be taken apart to lube the swingarm. Know how to do that and got tools for it? It's a $5,000 engine and some :)

this must be done every 12k miles. By the time it's 2nd 12k maintenance, I'll be doing everything myself. I asked him to teach me on some stuff and he will.

As bikers we are invisible and have to ride that way. I don't worry about others not seeing me as I keep a sharp eye out and see them. Don't put myself in position to get hit. Been lucky for many years now riding that way. Generally put about 10K miles a year on my GW. Admit it is a larger bike and lots of lights so a little more visible but then we have cars and trucks coming together all the time so maybe size does not matter that much? I don't worry about who has right of way, as far as I'm concerned they all do, I won't argue with any of them. Better to be wrong then dead right.

As bikers we are invisible and have to ride that way. I don't worry about others not seeing me as I keep a sharp eye out and see them. Don't put myself in position to get hit. Been lucky for many years now riding that way. Generally put about 10K miles a year on my GW. Admit it is a larger bike and lots of lights so a little more visible but then we have cars and trucks coming together all the time so maybe size does not matter that much? I don't worry about who has right of way, as far as I'm concerned they all do, I won't argue with any of them. Better to be wrong then dead right.

yup.... so true.... always ride like you're invisible - no matter how loud your bike is or how big your bike is or how bright your bike is.

mess under the car? GOOD! that's a REAL MAN way. get your hands all dirty! :cool2:
Ahem, homeowner wife speaking here. A mess under the car is NOT good. I don't want to see big blob oil stains on the garage floor, driveway or patio. No thank you!

Also, oil spills are very bad environmentally. If we spill oil on the driveway, we don't want to hose it down to the street and storm drain, to mix with our water sources. No.

Reba's husband does it the good ole' fashioned way... oil pan and towel :)
Hubby has a big black plastic container that is a "pan" for catching the oil, and then it drains into the container itself for storage. Then he takes it to the oil recycling place.

Ahem, homeowner wife speaking here. A mess under the car is NOT good. I don't want to see big blob oil stains on the garage floor, driveway or patio. No thank you!
lol I know. Just joking there. it's definitely an unsightly view and I wouldn't want it on mine either. it'll make a hole on concrete floor too over time. Missed my edit up there -

tip - get a brake cleaner spray and it'll clean up the oil stain (only recent) on floor quite nice.

Also, oil spills are very bad environmentally. If we spill oil on the driveway, we don't want to hose it down to the street and storm drain, to mix with our water sources. No.

Hubby has a big black plastic container that is a "pan" for catching the oil, and then it drains into the container itself for storage. Then he takes it to the oil recycling place.

for a more expensive solution - apply the special coating on driveway that the dealership mechanic garage uses. I'm not exactly sure what's it called but I'm sure you've seen it. What I used before was a piece of cardboard. Garbage bag would be preferable but it keeps flying away :lol: and it's too dark to see the oil or any small parts. black garbage bag is more durable than white garbage bag and it will not melt away from certain fluid.

No matter which Jeep I'm driving, I assume the other vehicles are not watching for me. Either they don't see me, or they don't care. The results could be the same. I've been thru many squeeze plays during rush hour on the interstate. If the other guy wants my spot, he'll take it no matter what. No wonder I have high blood pressure!

Drivers even act like they don't see Hubby when he's driving his full-size white commercial van with daytime driving lights, in clear weather. They constantly cut him off or pull out in front off him from side streets. He can't stop on a dime with his heavily-loaded van, and it isn't easily maneuverable.

All driving these days has to be "defensive".

this reminds me of this video clip. Most of ya'all know that it is legal to lane-split in California but there's a catch - any accident resulting from lane splitting - it's automatically your fault as a biker unless there's a proof that the accident was caused by OTHER driver.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs]YouTube - Motorcycle Crash Lane Splitting[/ame]

The van driver passed the double yellow - ILLEGAL! From what I heard - because of the video camera - the biker had a big settlement suit. Otherwise... if he didn't have a camera - chance is that biker would be at fault because they could say the biker lost control during lane splitting.

lol I know. Just joking there. it's definitely an unsightly view and I wouldn't want it on mine either. it'll make a hole on concrete floor too over time. Missed my edit up there -

tip - get a brake cleaner spray and it'll clean up the oil stain (only recent) on floor quite nice.

for a more expensive solution - apply the special coating on driveway that the dealership mechanic garage uses. I'm not exactly sure what's it called but I'm sure you've seen it. What I used before was a piece of cardboard. Garbage bag would be preferable but it keeps flying away :lol: and it's too dark to see the oil or any small parts. black garbage bag is more durable than white garbage bag and it will not melt away from certain fluid.
Expensive is right. That is waaaay out of our league. I prefer prevention of spills.

Back