A Dose Of Realty

chucky69

Reaction score
Welp folks .......... looks like it's time to confess, and confront the cold hard facts of life.

A little history first;

I have always been somewhat hearing impaired since birth. My left ear has a little bone in it that is bent, instead of straight - causing sound not to register in that ear. I used to be able to hear somewhat out of that ear, up to a few years ago - but since the the past few years, the hearing loss has gotten to the point, that I am literally deaf now in that ear - even w/ a hearing aid - I am unable to hear much. My ENT told me, that I would be better off having an aid in my right ear, because of it.

In my right ear, the hearing used to be pretty good, however - over the past few years - even that isn't as good as it was. I have now past the point, where I really, really need it - in order to hear most, if not all conversations. And then its depending on several factors. For instance; If you are 6' away from me, and you try and talk to me in a normal voice - chances are, I won't hear you. I used to be able to hear emergency vehicles from a good distance. Now - unless they are right on top of me - forget it! Even w/ a aid - I used to be able to hear birds, but now - even that is passe. When I am listening to the radio or tv - I have to have the volume up a - "LOT", higher than most people just to hear it - even aided.

I have been classified as - "Hard of Hearing" / "Hearing Impaired" , since last Summer. To which my ENT told me that my hearing was getting so bad - that by the time I got to 60 - he'd be surprised if I would still need a hearing aid.

After several weeks, and on my last visit with him - I finally got up the courage, and asked him if I'd be able to pass the hearing test of the DOT phys, and he told me - that would depend on the Doc giving me the test, since that test is subjective. Well, I figured - maybe it won't be too bad then. And between then and my last DOT phys about a month ago, I was trying to live in denial over the thing.

Well, the test date came and with nu battery in hearing aid, aid all nice and clean, and almost turned-up full blast - I really wasn't to surprised at the outcome; The Doctor sat about 5' in front of me, and whispered something. I could barely hear him say something - but for the life of me couldn't figure it out. Although if I wanted to cheat - I could've lip read! lol.

He repeated himself 3 times, and seeing I couldn't hear - he moved-up to about half the distance. And re-tried it. Well, after focusing on what I could barely hear, and (yes - I will admit it!) some lip-reading (but not much) - I finally passed it -"Barely".

He put on my DOT Med Form - that I am required to wear a hearing aid. Which, really wasn't a surprise. I would be more surprised, if in 2 yrs, if I do take the DOT Phys again - and that looks really doubtful, if I passed the hearing part, even barely.

To which - after mulling it over for the past nine months or so, on whether this will be, or even if I should, have this as my last DOT Phys - I have decided that it would be more economical (read - cheaper! lol) just to call this my last one. Mostly - because my hearing loss has been so great over the past few years, and the barely passing it this time - I really, really can't see any sense of even bothering with it anymore.

Especially when I know for a fact - how bad my hearing is - w/o a Doc telling me!

Yes- my hearing is getting progressively worse!

My wife was asking me about coclear implants. But since our insurance says they are an - "Experimental", they aren't covered. But that doesn't matter anyways - since they won't even pay for regular old hearing aids.

I should also note; Yes- I could have my left ear operated on - but the Doc told me that it wouldn't do much good, for long anyways. So forget that idea.

So in closing - looks like it's time to get serious, and find an occupation that isn't too dependent on hearing, eh?

-charles

lol, I feel ya. Finding a hearing impaired occupation is ridiculous though. I'm good at typing, so I've tried getting data entry type jobs, but they all, also, want someone who can use the phones. Fail. However, unlike you, I'm in the process of getting a cochlear implant so I can have 'more' of a life than I've had for the past 25 yrs.

What was your current job that you had to quit?

I'm 49 in 2.5 months Bottesini :jaw: lol

Too young to retire, 'n besides ............ no mulah to retire w/. Although I did finally send in paper work for SSDI a few months ago.

And at my age - plus the unemployment picture around here, it's almost a sure bet the same McD's job I applied for ............ went to a younger whipper-snapper than me. And that can about be as easily applied to Wal_mart/K-Mart as well.

I am getting some information on going back to school for home inspector.

And I wish ya luck and all pandaundercover on getting a CI. You'll undoubtetly will love what you've been missing. Well, some of it anyways! lol

And who knows - maybe in a decade or so ........ maybe I will have changed my mind about a CI then. :wink:

-charles

Too young to retire, 'n besides ............ no mulah to retire w/. Although I did finally send in paper work for SSDI a few months ago.

And at my age - plus the unemployment picture around here, it's almost a sure bet the same McD's job I applied for ............ went to a younger whipper-snapper than me. And that can about be as easily applied to Wal_mart/K-Mart as well.

And I wish ya luck and all pandaundercover on getting a CI. You'll undoubtetly will love what you've been missing. Well, some of it anyways! lol

And who knows - maybe in a decade or so ........ maybe I will have changed my mind about a CI then. :wink:

-charles

Sorry! :lol: I thought that 69 might be your age. Vocational rehabilitation should retrain you if you can't work at your profession anymore, I believe.

-charles

Check with your local Voc Rehab....they have lots of opportunities for retraining and going back to school.

-charles

Be careful with Home Inspector schools. Almost all of them are scams. No exaggeration. Be sure to check with the licensing board to find out exactly what you need to qualify. Almost all states require an apprenticeship. Most of the schools will not tell you that.

Sorry to be a downer but it is also a very hard field to make a living at. It takes alot of upfront money for advertising. It's one of the few businesses where connections will not work because Realtors can not recommend an inspector.....at least not legally.

You might consider insurance adjusting. It's about the same kind of job but much easier to get started. If you are flexible you can make alot of money when storms or wildfires hit. Adjusters who made the trip to Florida after Charlie and Louisiana after Katrina were making $200-400/hr estimating home damage. Yes I said per hour.

As far as working with Michigan Rehabilitation Services ...................... I have actually been associated with them since about 1995, when I got my first hearing aid.
It's only been within the past 4 years that we have been in more contact with each other. Not only for hearing issues, but also job searching and training. And from what I have been told - they go thru the Unemployment office for job training - and right now, that is a sticky issue with Michigan being in the money bind that it is.

Be careful with Home Inspector schools. Almost all of them are scams. No exaggeration. Be sure to check with the licensing board to find out exactly what you need to qualify. Almost all states require an apprenticeship. Most of the schools will not tell you that.

Sorry to be a downer but it is also a very hard field to make a living at. It takes alot of upfront money for advertising. It's one of the few businesses where connections will not work because Realtors can not recommend an inspector.....at least not legally.

You might consider insurance adjusting. It's about the same kind of job but much easier to get started. If you are flexible you can make alot of money when storms or wildfires hit. Adjusters who made the trip to Florida after Charlie and Louisiana after Katrina were making $200-400/hr estimating home damage. Yes I said per hour.

I've been doing my homework on this ....... although not done, lol

It's kinda hard to find a reputable School in Michigan for home inspector, since Michigan is one of a few States that hasn't gotten around to licensing them - yet. I am currently checking out a College online program. Thinking that might be the - "safer", one to go thru. And I will look into insurance adjusting also. Sounds easier than inspecting, lol

-charles

lol, I feel ya. Finding a hearing impaired occupation is ridiculous though. I'm good at typing, so I've tried getting data entry type jobs, but they all, also, want someone who can use the phones. Fail. However, unlike you, I'm in the process of getting a cochlear implant so I can have 'more' of a life than I've had for the past 25 yrs.

What was your current job that you had to quit?

I grew up in AZ and had no problems finding data entry jobs and I am profoundly deaf. I always told them that they can work the phone thing and I was willing to solve this problem. Many employers love a person who can solve problems so I did.

The job situation in Michigan is tough, for sure.

Vocational rehab and other state services are also tightening their belts in Michigan as funds dry up. (We have relatives in Michigan who keep up apprised of the situation.)

For late-deafened adults who have grown up aural/oral, the cochlear implant can be successful, if you are medically a good candidate. Like you say, the cost is prohibitive unless you can find a way other than insurance to pay for it.

Some questions:

1. Do you strongly want to continue with your current job?

2. Do you strongly feel that your job requires hearing ability?

If you want to stay in your current job, and you believe you could accomplish that job without being able to hear, then the next step is to challenge the DOT requirement. It could be a major struggle but some people in the past have been able to legally overcome hearing requirements. If you are interested in that, contact a lawyer who specializes in that kind of case. Check out the law section of NAD.org .

Federal DOT for tractor trailers are hard up. You have to hear 35 dB.

Many a challenges has gone victor-less.

Not only hear, but understand at 35 dB I do wonder if CI help without the need of visual tools But if Rush, being late deafened himself, can understand his radio, I guess he can do it with CI as well.

Not only hear, but understand at 35 dB I do wonder if CI help without the need of visual tools But if Rush, being late deafened himself, can understand his radio, I guess he can do it with CI as well.

Funny thing about the DOT regulation, it requires you to just to be able to hear not fully comprehending at 35db.

Chucky - HOWEVER.. If you want to continue driving (and if that is what you're doing..)

You can do this: Drive in state only. Federal DOT regulations don't apply.

I drive without a CDL. I drive for a farm, and in Colorado the law is that I can drive up to 150 miles radius from my "base". Which is if the farm is positioned right in the middle, I can drive 1/4 of the entire state.

My question is why is it required to hear to get a DOT or CDL licenses? Just curious..

My question is why is it required to hear to get a DOT or CDL licenses? Just curious..

CB to communicate with others OTR. Communicate with other truckers, your dispatch, etc...

And most importantly... Communicating with other truckers that are headed the other way for information on cops.

Naw Reba ........... gonna get out of truckin'; a) too many qualified laid-off truckers, esp in my area - b) Most of the truckin' jobs are seasonal around here, and don't pay much - c) and so on and so forth.

Oh, I think I got a good year or two to still be a trucker - just not going to get my hope up about getting one. Especially when I need a job like - Yesterday!, lol

Is hearing that important to trucking? You bet your sweet bippy it is! And 35db sure sounds iffy, if ya ask me! Hey! but I could be wrong! lol

Not sure how a blind person can get a CDL, considering vision has to be better than 20/100 + non-color blind.

Like I said on another site - MiRehab won't pay for a CI - directly. They need insurance, plus what I have to pay, then they pay a percentage. And then, that is contingent on what the State will allow them to pay. For instance - they would help pay for a $1,500 HA - but not a $3k HA. And with my State in the financial mess it is in - it's a safe bet to say - fergitdaboudit!

Later all!

-charles

Back