A Dose Of Realty

Go to Iraq....they are paying truck drivers a mint there right now.

I don't think that is a realistic hope. Where did you get that information?

I could be totally wrong about it. I cannot remember where I got that information. And of course, it could be an outdated information.

Sorry about that. I'll try to have a source along with my info. :shrug:

Welp folks .......... looks like it's time to confess, and confront the cold hard facts of life.

A little history first;

I have always been somewhat hearing impaired since birth. My left ear has a little bone in it that is bent, instead of straight - causing sound not to register in that ear. I used to be able to hear somewhat out of that ear, up to a few years ago - but since the the past few years, the hearing loss has gotten to the point, that I am literally deaf now in that ear - even w/ a hearing aid - I am unable to hear much. My ENT told me, that I would be better off having an aid in my right ear, because of it.

In my right ear, the hearing used to be pretty good, however - over the past few years - even that isn't as good as it was. I have now past the point, where I really, really need it - in order to hear most, if not all conversations. And then its depending on several factors. For instance; If you are 6' away from me, and you try and talk to me in a normal voice - chances are, I won't hear you. I used to be able to hear emergency vehicles from a good distance. Now - unless they are right on top of me - forget it! Even w/ a aid - I used to be able to hear birds, but now - even that is passe. When I am listening to the radio or tv - I have to have the volume up a - "LOT", higher than most people just to hear it - even aided.

I have been classified as - "Hard of Hearing" / "Hearing Impaired" , since last Summer. To which my ENT told me that my hearing was getting so bad - that by the time I got to 60 - he'd be surprised if I would still need a hearing aid.

After several weeks, and on my last visit with him - I finally got up the courage, and asked him if I'd be able to pass the hearing test of the DOT phys, and he told me - that would depend on the Doc giving me the test, since that test is subjective. Well, I figured - maybe it won't be too bad then. And between then and my last DOT phys about a month ago, I was trying to live in denial over the thing.

Well, the test date came and with nu battery in hearing aid, aid all nice and clean, and almost turned-up full blast - I really wasn't to surprised at the outcome; The Doctor sat about 5' in front of me, and whispered something. I could barely hear him say something - but for the life of me couldn't figure it out. Although if I wanted to cheat - I could've lip read! lol.

He repeated himself 3 times, and seeing I couldn't hear - he moved-up to about half the distance. And re-tried it. Well, after focusing on what I could barely hear, and (yes - I will admit it!) some lip-reading (but not much) - I finally passed it -"Barely".

He put on my DOT Med Form - that I am required to wear a hearing aid. Which, really wasn't a surprise. I would be more surprised, if in 2 yrs, if I do take the DOT Phys again - and that looks really doubtful, if I passed the hearing part, even barely.

To which - after mulling it over for the past nine months or so, on whether this will be, or even if I should, have this as my last DOT Phys - I have decided that it would be more economical (read - cheaper! lol) just to call this my last one. Mostly - because my hearing loss has been so great over the past few years, and the barely passing it this time - I really, really can't see any sense of even bothering with it anymore.

Especially when I know for a fact - how bad my hearing is - w/o a Doc telling me!

Yes- my hearing is getting progressively worse!

My wife was asking me about coclear implants. But since our insurance says they are an - "Experimental", they aren't covered. But that doesn't matter anyways - since they won't even pay for regular old hearing aids.

I should also note; Yes- I could have my left ear operated on - but the Doc told me that it wouldn't do much good, for long anyways. So forget that idea.

So in closing - looks like it's time to get serious, and find an occupation that isn't too dependent on hearing, eh?

-charles

CI's aren't "experimental" anymore. They've been around for about 20 years.

I grew up in AZ and had no problems finding data entry jobs and I am profoundly deaf. I always told them that they can work the phone thing and I was willing to solve this problem. Many employers love a person who can solve problems so I did.

Oh, well, I've only been in AZ less than a year (as an adult). And since I'm a student and my husband and I have one car, I'm not seeking employment. But finding jobs in CA on the other hand- was a pain in the ass. One of those people that submitted 20 apps and got maybe, one call back- and I failed the interview due to communication problems (absolutely had to ask the lady to repeat almost everything 3x). :-/

Oh, well, I've only been in AZ less than a year (as an adult). And since I'm a student and my husband and I have one car, I'm not seeking employment. But finding jobs in CA on the other hand- was a pain in the ass. One of those people that submitted 20 apps and got maybe, one call back- and I failed the interview due to communication problems (absolutely had to ask the lady to repeat almost everything 3x). :-/

Why not use a VRS when making the calls?

CI's aren't "experimental" anymore. They've been around for about 20 years.

That's true. You can have your physician write to your insurance to approve you for coverage on the CI. If they deny you the coverage, you can do an appeal for it. With every denial, keep appealing. Don't give up. It may take quite awhile, so you want to get the ball rolling asap. Once they send you a pre-approval, keep that letter because the insurance company will do whatever it takes to not cover for it after you have the surgery.

Yes, CRC.

"Can" and "will" are two very different things.

Since you're talking to the manipulator of the system, I'll just say this much right here:

The VR will give money for CI's given the right circumstances. The circumstances are just too easy to set up to make it right.

I've seen it happen, several times.

Since you're talking to the manipulator of the system, I'll just say this much right here:

The VR will give money for CI's given the right circumstances. The circumstances are just too easy to set up to make it right.

I've seen it happen, several times.

Being a "manipulator of the system" prevents others from getting the assistance they need.

"Given the right circumstances" is a huge qualifier. Rarely does anyone meet the criteria.

Being a "manipulator of the system" prevents others from getting the assistance they need.

"Given the right circumstances" is a huge qualifier. Rarely does anyone meet the criteria.

Not that rare as you think is what I am saying.

So now thanks for agreeing with the fact the VR can give money for CI. Especially for the case in this thread.

Back