A cochlear implant story

It looks like she's wearing the Nucleus 22 channel cochlear implant system but I may be wrong ...

This is a touchy story and yeah it made my eyes watery...:smile:

I did not noticed the date till just a min ago..it was in 2000.

It's a very good story. ;)

But, I opposed doctors who are pushy when it comes to cochlear implant, giving them high hope that it'll work. I do not think that's appropriate because you can't expect so much out of a device. But, I'm glad she took the time to really thought about it and decide on her own personal choice. ;)

It looks like she's wearing the Nucleus 22 channel cochlear implant system but I may be wrong ...

This is a touchy story and yeah it made my eyes watery...:smile:

yes, a very emotional story.. especially tears of the parents :|

thanks for the brand name

Even I cry at activations, and I'm not the parent of a CI user (yet).

We had one case where the child was receiving a 2nd implant, and had some troubles with high frequency sounds (like sh) with her first implant. The second implant was denied, but we got the denial overturned on appeal. The parents asked me to be there when the second side was being activated, and right after they turned on the implant, the mom said to her daughter "This is Sheri" and then turned to me and said "I wanted the first thing she heard with SH to be your name."

I love my job. 460 hearing impairment denials overturned in the last 22 months and counting.

Sheri

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with us, highlands!

Lovely story!!! I cried when I read the part of the parents crying - my Mom had to leave the room when I was activated, because of how emotional it was. Brought back memories!

May I point out no matter how well adjusted and able are the deaf people, the situation when the deafness IS an ISSUE, do happen:

Maybe it was employers failing to hire interpreters for work meetings. Maybe it was sitting through family gatherings understanding about 20 percent of the conversation. Or leaving restaurants in tears before the drinks hit the table because the seating and lighting made it difficult to read friends' lips.

Fuzzy

May I point out no matter how well adjusted and able are the deaf people, the situation when the deafness IS an ISSUE, do happen:

Fuzzy

So? Nobody denied it. We can't always get what we want. That's life.

Hearing people would feel the same way if they're in a crowd room full of deaf people.

Even I cry at activations, and I'm not the parent of a CI user (yet).

We had one case where the child was receiving a 2nd implant, and had some troubles with high frequency sounds (like sh) with her first implant. The second implant was denied, but we got the denial overturned on appeal. The parents asked me to be there when the second side was being activated, and right after they turned on the implant, the mom said to her daughter "This is Sheri" and then turned to me and said "I wanted the first thing she heard with SH to be your name."

I love my job. 460 hearing impairment denials overturned in the last 22 months and counting.

Sheri

:) How many of the total denials would you say get referred to your organisation? Are there some people who apply, get turned down and then just disappear?

Hearing people would feel the same way if they're in a crowd room full of deaf people.

How often hearing people have to be in the deaf enviroment comparing to the deaf people who have to be in the hearing envrmt?

Fuzzy

How often hearing people have to be in the deaf enviroment comparing to the deaf people who have to be in the hearing envrmt?

Fuzzy

Are you suggestion that ALL deaf people should be implanted? just to fit in and hear?

Are you suggestion that ALL deaf people should be implanted? just to fit in and hear?

That's what it sounds like, It's more like if you want to fit in, then get a cochlear implant. Why should I please the hearing people? I aren't no ass kisser.

no I am suggesting that any person who is succesfully implanted, and that happens most often when implanted early, has easier life in the hearing world.
Don't forget about simply pleasure- of hearing music, nature etc.
You don't have to, but wouldn't you LIKE to hear music?

That's what it sounds like, It's more like if you want to fit in, then get a cochlear implant. Why should I please the hearing people? I aren't no ass kisser.

Don't you understand that CI is actually for YOU?

Fuzzy

Don't you understand that CI is actually for YOU?

And don't you understand I don't want a cochlear implant, if hearing people want to talk to me, then speak my language, then I'll speak their language, but I'm not going to get a cochlear implant just to hear and learn only their language. Hearing people are not the king of the world, they don't own the world. God owns the world. ;)

And don't you understand I don't want a cochlear implant, if hearing people want to talk to me, then speak my language, then I'll speak their language, but I'm not going to get a cochlear implant just to hear and learn only their language.

I understand you don't want CI but I think it's for the wrong reasons.
Do you think if I want CI is for ME or for PEOPLE?

Fuzzy

Back