A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pos6QlrG8Ow&feature=share]Photos of earthquake-damaged buildings at Gally - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you for sharing from some FB friend.

I have a feeling that animals knew it was coming before we humans did. I understand orangutans knew 15 minutes before we did. I wonder how they tried to tell us?

2011va.jpg

Photo-gallery of damage in Washington, D.C. and surrounding area.

A day after quake, Washington awakes to closures - The Washington Post

The National Cathedral was damaged, with statues and spires falling to the ground. VERY fortunate no one was hit by that; easily could have killed someone. The Washington Monument has cracks in the upper part.

There's a funny picture of a bunch of people standing around trying to get cell-phone reception. Washingtonians canNOT exist without their cell-phones!

...There's a funny picture of a bunch of people standing around trying to get cell-phone reception. Washingtonians canNOT exist without their cell-phones!
I don't think it's just Washingtonians who can't exist without cell phones or texting. :lol:

Probably not, but that picture just made me laugh. A bunch of people who could be talking to each other, but no, they've all got to be trying (vainly) to get onto a network, which was completely jammed.

Hey, folks! Talk to the guy standing next to you! When the cell-phone networks are jammed, they are not going to un-jam any faster with you pushing every button possible!

It's like someone waiting for an elevator pushing and pushing and pushing the button. It's not going to get there any faster that way, really.

Probably not, but that picture just made me laugh. A bunch of people who could be talking to each other, but no, they've all got to be trying (vainly) to get onto a network, which was completely jammed.

Hey, folks! Talk to the guy standing next to you! When the cell-phone networks are jammed, they are not going to un-jam any faster with you pushing every button possible!

It's like someone waiting for an elevator pushing and pushing and pushing the button. It's not going to get there any faster that way, really.

I'm sure they were trying to contact their loved ones. Though I didn't feel we were in any danger, I did text my daughter to see if she felt it too (before we knew how wide-spread it was).

I have a feeling that animals knew it was coming before we humans did. I understand orangutans knew 15 minutes before we did. I wonder how they tried to tell us?

Were there any at Gally?

Yes, there are quite a few orangutans at Gally... but none of them bothered to let the rest of us know before hand. :giggle:

The buildings at Gallaudet need to be repaired as soon as possible, that chimney is putting people's lives at risk.

Photo-gallery of damage in Washington, D.C. and surrounding area.

A day after quake, Washington awakes to closures - The Washington Post

The National Cathedral was damaged, with statues and spires falling to the ground. VERY fortunate no one was hit by that; easily could have killed someone. The Washington Monument has cracks in the upper part.

There's a funny picture of a bunch of people standing around trying to get cell-phone reception. Washingtonians canNOT exist without their cell-phones!

I don't think it's just Washingtonians who can't exist without cell phones or texting. :lol:

since we're in smartphone era - I think they were checking news because txting/calling were jammed but Internet was not.

I find it puzzling that this was not really supposed to happen. Since 9/11, the government implemented protocols and equipment to handle heavy load in the time of large-scale emergency situation. Looks like our tax money has gone to waste.... :roll:

People felt the earthquake in my city , I did not feel it. Marty was acting really strange the night before the earthquake. He was really panting heavily and I could not see any reasons for it.

Well I certainly felt the earthquake. I thought at first it was workmen outside my apt... just not the aftershocks. Guess they were too mild to be felt.

He means "does it not melt"? I thot we all knew that, at elevation, there's snow year-round on our mountains. Riversider here...

Yes the snow does stick to the ground! And I am glad it did as our water line was frozen and had to melt snow for water!

Many of the old and history buildings in Baltimore Inner Harbor suffered major structural damage today. It was a miracle that nobody got hurt.

According to a renowned geologist...we were all VERY lucky that this earthquake was short. He said if it had lasted for another 5 seconds, most likely serious serious damage and injuries would have ocurred since it was very strong for this side of the country.

A geologist was TV today I did not hear every thing he said , but he said Boston is not prepared to deal with a major earthquake. I guess this is awake call to a lot cities that have older buildings that are not build hold up to an earthquake.

since we're in smartphone era - I think they were checking news because txting/calling were jammed but Internet was not.

I find it puzzling that this was not really supposed to happen. Since 9/11, the government implemented protocols and equipment to handle heavy load in the time of large-scale emergency situation. Looks like our tax money has gone to waste.... :roll:

They could always use our tax money to train orangatuans to warn us of upcoming quakes ....... :roll:

Wait .... I shouldn't have said anything, that will give some people ideas.

Back