A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

I didn't feel a thing and I'm pretty close to DC. *sighs* I feel like I missed out on a lot. Never been in an earthquake before..

My sister lives 5 miles away from the epicenter. She was driving when it happened and her car basically bounced off the road.

Why would you want to be in an earthquake?? You should be happy you never felt one .

I felt it pretty strongly. I'm in VA and not deathly far from the epicenter. (<100 miles) Didn't have any property damage.

The epicienter is only 94 miles from where I live.

:wave: Like Roca and deafskeptic, I am in NOVA and <100 miles/<2 hour drive from the epicenter. Everyone I know here felt it and we are all fine. I was at a restaurant eating a late lunch and at first I didn't think it was an eathquake, until I came back to the office to find everyone evacuated (I thought they were having an unannounced fire drill-hahaha). :P Someone had to explain to me that there had been an earthquake. There was some damage to the building as well as a pipe that burst in one of our other buildings. The people in the other building got sent home, we weren't so "lucky" (j/k). :lol:

Edit: Like Roca and deafskeptic, I am <100 miles/<2 hour drive from the epicenter (I am in NOVA). Sorry, my sentence was worded incorrectly.

Last edited:
My friend, ‎Drago Renteria, said:

"Earthquake on the East Coast. Okay, I've been trying really hard not to roll my eyes, afterall there was some minor damage here and there (including to some Gally buildings), but come on... how can I not RFLMAO when I read comments like, "I survived the big quake" ??"

You east coast people are a-frickin-dorable. :giggle::giggle:

It's the novelty of it all. Hell, I "survived" the Hawaiian tsunami of March 2011. ;) I bought a shirt that says so. :lol:

:wave: Like Roca and deafskeptic, I am in NOVA and <100 miles/<2 hour drive from the epicenter. Everyone I know here felt it and we are all fine. I was at a restaurant eating a late lunch and at first I didn't think it was an eathquake, until I came back to the office to find everyone evacuated (I thought they were having an unannounced fire drill-hahaha). :P Someone had to explain to me that there had been an earthquake. There was some damage to the building as well as a pipe that burst in one of our other buildings. The people in the other building got sent home, we weren't so "lucky" (j/k). :lol:

A small correction here is needed. I don't live in NOVA. I live in the central Va area.

Hmm, I can imagine.

Finally got home at 8PM....he said he was really frightened for his life because his work building was swaying back and forth hard. Also, things fell and crashed and people started screaming. He thought the building was going to collapse like the twin towers did. He did literally think it was his last day of his life. Wow.

My son and hubby felt it more than I did so they both got really frightened while I didnt because it was more of strong vibrations.

I wonder how guys in Califorina would react when they get snow.. I dont' suppose it snows much there.

I moved to California to get away from the New England harsh winters . I when up to Northern California , Humboldt County and they had the worst winter in 35 years! They got snow for for the first time in 35 years and I moved up there!! You can't win!! My Samoyed Husky loved the snow and slept outside and she wrapped her big fluffy tail over her nose to keep it warm. Then another time I was LA with my boyfriend visiting his friends and I was talking to the wife and we both said at the same we never wanted to see snow again!
As soon as we finish saying that it started to snow! We LOL!!

Move to Phx, AZ! All you would get is haboobs!

Finally got home at 8PM....he said he was really frightened for his life because his work building was swaying back and forth hard. Also, things fell and crashed and people started screaming. He thought the building was going to collapse like the twin towers did. He did literally think it was his last day of his life. Wow.

My son and hubby felt it more than I did so they both got really frightened while I didnt because it was more of strong vibrations.

Make sure to talk to Nathan about his fears and resassure him. He may show some symptoms after going through a scare like that. Just help him to understand what happened, and why it isn't likely to happen again soon. He might show some separation anxiety, or want a night lite for awhile. Little things like that. Just trying to give a head's up. I'm sure you already are aware of it.

Send a :hug: to him for me.

Make sure to talk to Nathan about his fears and resassure him. He may show some symptoms after going through a scare like that. Just help him to understand what happened, and why it isn't likely to happen again soon. He might show some separation anxiety, or want a night lite for awhile. Little things like that. Just trying to give a head's up. I'm sure you already are aware of it.

When we got home, he was more demanding than usual for my attention.Kept wanting a hug. Poor thing.

When we got home, he was more demanding than usual for my attention.Kept wanting a hug. Poor thing.

Awww...bless his heart. He is at that age where this will stick with him for a while, but still not old enough to understand what is going on. Give him a big hug from me.

thanks Jillio and Deafskeptic...:hug:

My friend, ‎Drago Renteria, said:

"Earthquake on the East Coast. Okay, I've been trying really hard not to roll my eyes, afterall there was some minor damage here and there (including to some Gally buildings), but come on... how can I not RFLMAO when I read comments like, "I survived the big quake" ??"

You east coast people are a-frickin-dorable. :giggle::giggle:

I have felt earthquakes when I lived in California . You have to remember some of the buildings on the east costs are not build to stand up to an earthquake.
This is what happen in Boston to a building it an older one is not was designed to take an earthquake. when I lived in Northern Cal. and we had the snow storm a lot of people water lines got frozen because they about the ground.
If you are not used to having snow storms you do not take the time to cover your water lines and that how it with our buildings out here the older one are not earthquake poof. So in a sense people did survived a big quake , it big because we had get them a lot.

Wow, that sounds scary! I'm glad your family is OK. :)

I was in a dept meeting when it happened. My boss was going over the agenda and we were all sitting in a circle and I felt the ground shake. At first, I thought it was the construction going on then the lights flickered so immediately, I knew but didnt react until it was confirmed. My son's daycare said that the whole building was literally shaking back and forth and the cars in the parking lot were rocking hard sideways. I dont know about Mac..he is trying to get home but trains are running on reduced speed from Washington, DC where he works at.
Oh, my!

I have felt earthquakes when I lived in California . You have to remember some of the buildings on the east costs are not build to stand up to an earthquake.
This is what happen in Boston to a building it an older one is not was designed to take an earthquake. when I lived in Northern Cal. and we had the snow storm a lot of people water lines got frozen because they about the ground.
If you are not used to having snow storms you do not take the time to cover your water lines and that how it with our buildings out here the older one are not earthquake poof. So in a sense people did survived a big quake , it big because we had get them a lot.

Many of the old and history buildings in Baltimore Inner Harbor suffered major structural damage today. It was a miracle that nobody got hurt.

According to a renowned geologist...we were all VERY lucky that this earthquake was short. He said if it had lasted for another 5 seconds, most likely serious serious damage and injuries would have ocurred since it was very strong for this side of the country.

Back