528-Lb. Woman Gives Birth in Romania

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Healthy Baby Weighs 6.4 Pounds

BUCHAREST, Romania -- A 25-year-old woman weighing 528 pounds (240 kilograms) gave birth to her first baby on Thursday at a hospital equipped to treat obese people.

"The baby is the fruit of the love between me and my future husband who is slimmer, weighing just 70 kilograms (154 pounds)," said Victoria Lacatus. "I wanted this child with all my heart, whatever the sacrifice," the Adevarul newspaper quoted her as saying.

The healthy baby girl, born by Caesarean section, weighed 2.9 kilograms (6.4 pounds), said Bogdan Popescu, a spokesman at Bucharest University Emergency Hospital.

Lacatus was admitted there from her village in southern Romania because the local hospital did not have any beds that could bear her weight, officials said. In Bucharest, three teams of ambulance staff and firefighters were needed to carry her into the hospital.

Popescu said Lacatus was being carefully monitored because she suffers from a thyroid problem and doctors said post-surgery complications could develop because of her morbid obesity.

Lacatus said she will soon marry her 36-year-old fiance, Costica Lacatus.

Florin Costandache, who helped perform the operation, said: "It was a real challenge because she needed four times the anesthetic a normal person needs."

The chief surgeon, obstetrician Valeriu Horhoianu, said at least 10 obese women have given birth at the Bucharest hospital, but they all weighed less than 352 pounds (160 kilograms).

In August 2008, a heavier obese woman -- 560-pound (255-kilogram) Leanne Salt -- gave birth to triplets in Britain.

But Nicolae Cernea, a doctor from the southern city of Craiova -- where Lacatus was hospitalized for a month before delivery -- said her case was unique in Romania.

The country's media, which closely followed the case, seemed to agree.

528-Pound Woman Gives Birth In Romania - Health News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

:shock: A small 6 lbs baby from rather a large woman.

I don't mean to be rude but how would she be able to feel the baby moving considering the fact she has such a large frame- 500+ lbs.

"I wanted this child with all my heart, whatever the sacrifice,"
Who's going to take care of the baby? Apparently the baby already is the sacrifice because the mother isn't capable of taking care of herself much less taking care of the baby.

Valid point you've brought up, Mrs Bucket.

Let's hope there's good support system from family and hospital in this case.

I wonder if Romania have the expertise to handle this case.

That is one big woman.

APTOPIX_ROMANIA_OBE_191894e.jpg

:shock:

I would never go that heavy. I'm overweight but I would never let myself go that big!

Being that obese can be very disabling. It must be very difficult to walk let alone have sex being that big. And usually it's difficult for obese women to conceive, at least that's what I saw on the Discovery health channel on TV the other day while I was at my fiance's house.

:shock:

I would never go that heavy. I'm overweight but I would never let myself go that big!

Being that obese can be very disabling. It must be difficult to walk let alone have sex being that big. And usually it's difficult for obese women to conceive, at least that's what I saw on the Discovery health channel on TV the other day while I was at my fiance's house.

I have to be honest, I was wondering how she has sex...:o

I have to be honest, I was wondering how she has sex...:o

You read my mind again!.....I was just trying to decide whether or not to post that then I saw you already had.....

I am guess there were not alot of position changes

You read my mind again!.....I was just trying to decide whether or not to post that then I saw you already had.....

I am guess there were not alot of position changes

Foreplay might be getting into position:giggle:

ok the comments saying you would never get that heavey are way out of line this woman has a thyroid problem this causes weight gain even with meds it's very hard to keep your weight down, and apparently this women has not been getting the care she has need for a very long time.

I'm very surprised that she was able to conceive and gave birth to a healthy sized baby. If I ever get to be heavy like her I wouldn't even think about having a baby till I lose weight first. Try thyroid stimulating hormones therapy and it will help take some of the weight off plus eat and exercise help, too. Yeah, looks like the father will be doing 24/7 with the baby. :aw:

ok the comments saying you would never get that heavey are way out of line this woman has a thyroid problem this causes weight gain even with meds it's very hard to keep your weight down, and apparently this women has not been getting the care she has need for a very long time.

This woman has no business getting pregnant in the first place and who is going to take care of her baby when she cannot take care of herself?

To say that this woman hasn't been getting the care she needed in the first place, she should have known this when she started gaining a lot of weight.

500+ lbs is too much!

she may need a lipsuction or band to give her a boost to help her lose weight faster. it will take a long time to lose all that weight.

I have hypothyroidism and I'm on medication for over 12 years now. My weight has been a yo-yo maybe within 40 pounds. If I ever go over 100+ I would go see the doctor and do something about it quickly before I get over to 500 lbs. Gosh...

This woman has no business getting pregnant in the first place and who is going to take care of her baby when she cannot take care of herself?

To say that this woman hasn't been getting the care she needed in the first place, she should have known this when she started gaining a lot of weight.

500+ lbs is too much!

Yeah there is no excuse for 500 pounds

I understand that losing weight is hard and hypothyroidism makes it harder, but their are plenty of women that have this and they are not 500lbs. I agree, she had no place having a baby if she cannot take care of herself. 500lbs doesn't happen overnight. It's sad.

And no matter what your medical condition are, you can't really gain weight without adding calories. some people have to work harder to keep their weight off than others.

I don't think she can go to the grocery store with her weight like that. So someone isn't doing her a favor by supplying her unhealthy amount of food. Sure, she got there on her own, but someone is helping her to stay that way.

This threads brings up so many issues that it really becomes dicey. I agree that this woman should never have gotten pregnant to begin with. As already noted, she isn't capable of really caring for the baby. Also, the fact that she even had this child says to me that she doesn't really value HER life. What does that say for the baby?

On a personal note, someone said they would "never let themselves get that big." That saying to me that the woman was responsible for getting that big, like you can help it. The woman has a thyroid condiion, so couldn't help getting to the weight that she did. Once there, though, she HAD the responsability for ensuring that her health or the health of someone else (read: the baby) wasn't endangered. It's such a tough thing.

I will say this to you all. Have some compassion and put yourselves in the situation or try to. We could all be in that situation.

This threads brings up so many issues that it really becomes dicey. I agree that this woman should never have gotten pregnant to begin with. As already noted, she isn't capable of really caring for the baby. Also, the fact that she even had this child says to me that she doesn't really value HER life. What does that say for the baby?

On a personal note, someone said they would "never let themselves get that big." That saying to me that the woman was responsible for getting that big, like you can help it. The woman has a thyroid condiion, so couldn't help getting to the weight that she did. Once there, though, she HAD the responsability for ensuring that her health or the health of someone else (read: the baby) wasn't endangered. It's such a tough thing.

I will say this to you all. Have some compassion and put yourselves in the situation or try to. We could all be in that situation.

:werd:

Back