35 and newly deaf in Washington DC

RachelMA!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am three months into my new deaf life style and it is beyond boring. I lost almost all of my hearing a few months after moving cross country from Seattle to DC. No one knows why I went deaf - probably genetic? The whole thing has been trying to say the least. My husband is beyond supportive, gently suggesting I reach out to the deaf community, thus the post.

I'm a senior analyst for a healthcare/political non-profit, and when I moved cross country for my husband's job I was asked to stay on for a couple of months remotely. I have now been working remotely for 6/7 months I am eternally greatful for the ADA.

I have a phonak hearing aid which helps a bit, but my hearing is so distorted that it is not a long term solution. I am scheduled for cochlear implant surgery in a month, and I am both apprehensive and impatient to just get it done already. I'm tired of doctors, I'm tired of working from home, I'm tired of not being able to communicate!

So that's it, I'm a terrible deaf person because I want my hearing back and am about to get my head drilled into and electrodes shoved into my skull. I'm an even worse hearing person because well I'm not.

Well,......nice to meet you, learn sign drink wine, life is good, have fun.
As for the drilling and electrodes.
damn girl...
Smile.
Welcome to all deaf. D.C. Has allot going on for Deafies..lucky your not in the sticks...
Sign will....refer to my sig.

Hi,
I am three months into my new deaf life style and it is beyond boring. I lost almost all of my hearing a few months after moving cross country from Seattle to DC. No one knows why I went deaf - probably genetic? The whole thing has been trying to say the least. My husband is beyond supportive, gently suggesting I reach out to the deaf community, thus the post.

I'm a senior analyst for a healthcare/political non-profit, and when I moved cross country for my husband's job I was asked to stay on for a couple of months remotely. I have now been working remotely for 6/7 months I am eternally greatful for the ADA.

I have a phonak hearing aid which helps a bit, but my hearing is so distorted that it is not a long term solution. I am scheduled for cochlear implant surgery in a month, and I am both apprehensive and impatient to just get it done already. I'm tired of doctors, I'm tired of working from home, I'm tired of not being able to communicate!

So that's it, I'm a terrible deaf person because I want my hearing back and am about to get my head drilled into and electrodes shoved into my skull. I'm an even worse hearing person because well I'm not.

Howdy!

Welcome!

Best of luck with your surgery and sorry for your troubles.

In my prayers.

Hang in there, I lost hearing in 4 months I know there is a lot to absorb, your lucky you have a supportive spouse to help you along. I've had to go it alone and it has been a challenge. Keep your hopes and spirits high. Give me a shout out if you need help on your new journey.

Hi.

Hi Rachel, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a frustrating time :( . Maybe I could help with the being bored thing :) I need someone to talk to about their deaf experience. If you want to email, I'd love that.
e.v.fairfall@gmail.com

All the best,
E.V.

Back