3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
In have an inherited genetic syndrome involving connective tissue disorder. The gene can effect a person's larynx. I can speak and my kids can speak. Subsequent generations may not have the ability to speak. Some geneticists believe that phenotypes tend to get worse over generations. My point is that a person may not have the ability to speak for some particular reason. Putting such a emphasis on speech may not be a good idea. I'll take grandchildren any way that I can get them (when my kids are ready, of course!).

WHAT?!?!?!? Oh lord I don't even KNOW where you're getting this. Quite frankley the ONLY problem is you being scared shitless that Kat won't develop sophisicated spoken language. So you're lashing out at us. She may not develop on par "like hearing" spoken language, but then again a lot of CI kids don't. Heck even hoh kids don't.

What's worse is there are numerous hearing kids who don't get the decent spoken language. These are kids who have no identifiable hearing loss or speech problems. There are 3 of them at my hubby's church. I went there for a while and I know all 3 of these kids.

In have an inherited genetic syndrome involving connective tissue disorder. The gene can effect a person's larynx. I can speak and my kids can speak. Subsequent generations may not have the ability to speak. Some geneticists believe that phenotypes tend to get worse over generations. My point is that a person may not have the ability to speak for some particular reason. Putting such a emphasis on speech may not be a good idea. I'll take grandchildren any way that I can get them (when my kids are ready, of course!).

Hey! My granddaughters are perfectly happy with me and my speech is not understandable and it is difficult for me to produce.

The older one is four and she just learned to make videos. I am the signing star of most of them.

Speech does not affect how much your family will love you.

You grandchildren are precious and I can tell that they love you. Please post some of the videos so that I can see them.

WHAT?!?!?!? Oh lord I don't even KNOW where you're getting this. Quite frankley the ONLY problem is you being scared shitless that Kat won't develop sophisicated spoken language. So you're lashing out at us. She may not develop on par "like hearing" spoken language, but then again a lot of CI kids don't. Heck even hoh kids don't.

I have been told each of those things, most on several occasions.

As for being scared, not even close. My daughter has both languages and has already gained sophisticated spoken language.

As for me lashing out at those here...you don't lash out at us? Seriously? What about all the comments about "helicopter parents", "nonstop intensive therapy" and my child having "massive social issues"? That isn't supposed to be insulting?

You grandchildren are precious and I can tell that they love you. Please post some of the videos so that I can see them.

I will see if I can talk her out of them at Christmas. They are on her mother's android.

If I can get one I will post it up for you. :)

It was a long and hard road for me. Luckily for me, I had and still have those good friends from here in the board and in real life that stuck with me.

I'm guilty of doing that too! :lol:

I need to follow what you are doing too. Poor hubby.. I'm the haphazard wife typing away on the laptop and neglecting him. He just commented "I know you're enjoying this!" :hug: CM!! Yes, Cookie Monster is baccckk!

And, I'm the haphazard Aunt, daughter, ect that used to be so stinking reactive that my (then three year old niece) said to me once (after a particularly bad day)... "Aunt S, you NEED A NAP!" It's cute now, but, wasn't at the time. She was parroting her Mom, obviously. When the kids were cranky, they often heard... " I think you need a NAP!" My sweet niece gave me a wake up call that day. She said that to me, and, I thought about getting annoying but instead just said to her... "You know what, honey? You're right! I do!" She giggled and toddled off and I was left with a very profound moment to ponder.

When was I "gravely concerned"? Also, just because she has developed sophisticated spoken language, does not mean she is yet age appropriate. I never claimed that. She is still delayed, but making progress every day.

Why? By age 4, I was fully caught up to my hearing peers. And, without a CI.

I was waived of my minimum-age-5 requirements for kindergarten, because I entered kindergarten at 4. That tells me that "even with HAs that don't provide for so-called spoken language" at that age, I must've done okay.

And graduating from high school in the top 1/4 of of my 350-student class, I guess I still did okay. All that with HAs. Imagine.

Why? By age 4, I was fully caught up to my hearing peers. And, without a CI.

I was waived of my minimum-age-5 requirements for kindergarten, because I entered kindergarten at 4. That tells me that "even with HAs that don't provide for so-called spoken language" at that age, I must've done okay.

And graduating in the top 1/4 of of my 350-student class, I guess I still did okay. All that with HAs. Imagine.

Her spoken language is delayed because she did not have access to it for 5 full years. She has only been using spoken language for less than 2 years.

Her spoken language is delayed because she did not have access to it for 5 full years. She has only been using spoken language for less than 2 years.

I had been using it less than 2 years when I entered kindergarten.

That's actually not the point. We don't mean to demean Miss Kat. We understand she's doing the best she can.

What we demean is the attitude you've displayed on this forum. It's as if you taken the frustration you feel you're dealing with and displaced it with us.

Right. That was what I figured out from Mrs. B's post. I think I was thinking of this already without thinking of the concept "energy vampire" when I asked FJ weeks/months back why she was even on AD -- because she contributed nothing positive, nothing in the other threads where we all chat on a daily basis and have fun. Every single post is to argue what we say, and only in specific threads, nowhere else. I guess she's NOT ALL THAT INTERESTED in the deaf community, despite what she says.

Yep, FJ is an energy vampire. I'm sick to death of people like her. I'll place her on my ignore list, so I don't have to read her posionous writings.

I noticed the change after her daughter's CI surgery.

I agree. I have noticed the same. I thought she was being brainwashed. Perhaps she is.. The main thing is I have nada respect for her.

Speech does not affect how much your family will love you.

So true! :rockon:

My daughter has both languages and has already gained sophisticated spoken language.

As for me lashing out at those here...you don't lash out at us? Seriously? What about all the comments about "helicopter parents", "nonstop intensive therapy" and my child having "massive social issues"? That isn't supposed to be insulting?
If she has sophiscated spoken language, then how come she is still delayed in spoken language?
I reconize she is doing a lot better then when she had HA. She still doesn't have sophiscated spoken language thou. Sophsicated would be spoken language on par (or even above) with hearing kids. She is speaking in sentances yes.....we all know that the days of kids going through oral programs, and coming out with only a handful of words or really delayed speech is over. (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that it's shrunk drasticly, especially compared to the '60's and 70's ) BUT, just b/c a kid can speak,it doesn't mean that they won't deal with hoh style spoken language issues. Not all orally skilled kids are going to be AG Bell superstars (the kind that suceed with minimal accomondations and who take honors classes and who take foriegn languages and who end up at a highly selective college)
Were you aware that it's common for oral only kids to regularly say stuff like " How many spiders have legs?" for "How many legs do spiders have?"
I am not accusing you of being a helicopter parent or doing an auditory verbal "gotta therapyize every single learning moment" approach.....but you're missing that the oral only tends to really attract helicopter parents who feel like they have to make every single moment a "teachable moment" and not let their kids be kids.
And we're not saying that b/c she is getting oral education, she'll have MAJOR social delays. We are saying that social emotional issues are MAJOR in this population especially in middle school and high school. Granted she may not deal with the same sort of crap I dealt with (being told I sucked when I was doing nothing but walking around, having my bike stolen simply b/c it was mine, being asked if I was going to a special school, in a Honors Latin. Let me repeat that, a Honors Latin class, being thought of as mentally impaired b/c of the way I speak, having an obscence letter sent to me, and even more) but, trust us.....oral abilty is AWESOME, but it doesn't equalize dhh kids 100%. If that was true, then you wouldn't see hoh kids flocking to Deaf Culture.
We're not attacking you......and you still haven't provided cites of people and direct references of those alledged attacks. Those aren't attacks. They are simple criticisms of oral only. It's not about YOU, it's about oral only!

Mod note:

This thread has run it's course... time to 'lock' it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back