3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the long term consequences? I didnt notice any long term consequences of not wearing any implants... please tell me.

They will not be able to get the benefits of being implanted young.

What are the long term consequences? I didnt notice any long term consequences of not wearing any implants... please tell me.

The argument can be made that their brains are still developing to process sound at that age and not processing sound would deprive the child of that ability to do so in the future since the brain gets less adaptive over time. The child obviously doesn't realize this since he doesn't know how brains develop.

Whether or not this should be allowed is a whole other argument ...

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

If they are always breaking them even if you got every right and fixed....then what? Spank them?

I don't think it is ever ok to be violent with a child, no matter what.

I figure you would feel that way. Sometimes it is best to let them be.

Wirelessly posted

I figure you would feel that way. Sometimes it is best to let them be.

If you implant your child, you owe it to them to do the follow up. It is irresponsible to implant them and then not follow through by having them wear it and MAP it and do therapy.

No, first and foremost you MUST make sure it is not hurting them. You need to make sure all components are working correctly and that the MAP is appropriate.

okay, and how does a 3 year old communicate with you that the map is working "correctly"

The argument can be made that their brains are still developing to process sound at that age and not processing sound would deprive the child of that ability to do so in the future since the brain gets less adaptive over time. The child obviously doesn't realize this since he doesn't know how brains develop.

You see, I grew up perfectly fine, I am starting up a couple of businesses right now. I've traveled all over. I have friends on every corner of the world.

I just dont see the consequences of not wearing an implant as in being deaf is a bad thing...

That is what I am getting at.

okay, and how does a 3 year old communicate with you that the map is working "correctly"

In the MAPing session. They set the M and T thresholds through play audiometry, and the audiologist runs the NRIs. After that they do a booth test (and often speech discrim testing) and make appropriate changes to the MAP. In the sessions, the audiologist should expose the child to loud (but not overly loud sounds) to watch for signs of discomfort.

Wirelessly posted

You need to pick your battle wisely. Fighting your child all time over an object is not a good idea. You can keep talking and everything to encourage to wear it but don't force.

Last edited:
You see, I grew up perfectly fine, I am starting up a couple of businesses right now. I've traveled all over. I have friends on every corner of the world.

I just dont see the consequences of not wearing an implant as in being deaf is a bad thing...

Same here. I consider myself perfectly successful. My lack of hearing didn't hamper that at all.

So are you saying that its fine to make sure they wear the device even though it might be hurting them?

We have had a few preschoolers who totallyyyyyyyyy threw fits when being made to wear their devices. One threw her CI in the toilet...oooops! :lol:

Wirelessly posted

If they are always breaking them even if you got every right and fixed....then what? Spank them?

No, just BEAT them up! Put the FEAR in them! :roll:

My mom realized that it wasnt doing my brother any good by forcing him to wear his hearing aids after 5 years of struggling with him so she gave up. My brother stopped having violent tantrums. Now, as an adult, he will wear them when it is needed. It is all about CHOICES. After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?

My brother and many others are fine without "sounds" soo what is your point?

My brother and many others are fine without "sounds" soo what is your point?

You have been complaining of late how you are having CI students taken from your class.

In certain areas , it is becoming a new world.

You have been complaining of late how you are having CI students taken from your class.

In certain areas , it is becoming a new world.

What does that have to do with this? Shoudl I get a CI so I can get students in my class??? Why shold I conform to the hearing ways?

If I get pushed out of my field because of my deafness, then I will collect SSDI from all of you, ok?

At 3, my daughter either said or signed "too loud" or "no ears, thank you" if the wrong program was set (t-coil was on when it shouldn't be, or music program on in a crowd) or she was tired of wearing them. In which case, the setting was immediately changed or the processors were removed until she wanted them again.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Wirelessly posted

No, just BEAT them up! Put the FEAR in them! :roll:

My mom realized that it wasnt doing my brother any good by forcing him to wear his hearing aids after 5 years of struggling with him so she gave up. My brother stopped having violent tantrums. Now, as an adult, he will wear them when it is needed. It is all about CHOICES. After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?

That's what my great grandfather did to make them use their voice. He beat them.

Right, and that's all true, but this isn't about you or whether or not people can live full lives with or without CIs, with or without HAs, with or without glasses, etc. It's about a 3 YO with CIs whose processors very likely need to be adjusted -- and quickly. He shouldn't be forced to wear something that provides discomfort -- the sound of his mother's voice and the things around him -- if his CIs are set correctly -- should be something he likes getting. But it can be like dialing up the right radio station, an audi has to work very carefully with a child who isn't giving the kind of feedback an adult can provide, and it can take some time to get it right. Once that's been checked and adjusted, if he is still rejecting the sound he's getting, THEN the parents need to think very hard about next steps. Most every person I know with a CI has had a bad map now and then -- it can be like listening to a radio station that keeps cutting in and out with static -- not painful, but just very irritating -- until it's tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back