3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may only be 3, but I think it should still be his choice. Leave it as an option for him, my daughter proudly proclaimed she was Deaf at age 3 and didn't wear her aid for almost two years now she grabs it when she feels like it. But in the beginning she kept braking them, on purpose she didn't want to wear them! When I explained it was her choice she quit destroying them and they hung in a place where if she wanted them she could have them.

Nice. We need more parents like you.

I'm all about choices.

My son used to take the batteries out of the FM system at school and tell the teacher it was broken.:giggle: And he would hide one of his HAs because it actually interfered with discrimination and tell me it was lost. That is when I stopped insisting that he do what the hearing experts said he needed to do and started paying attention to what he was indicating worked and didn't work for him. And asking deaf adults their opinions.

:giggle:

I used to do same. I really hate the FM system with extreme prejudice.

my son used to take the batteries out of the fm system at school and tell the teacher it was broken.:giggle: And he would hide one of his has because it actually interfered with discrimination and tell me it was lost. That is when i stopped insisting that he do what the hearing experts said he needed to do and started paying attention to what he was indicating worked and didn't work for him. And asking deaf adults their opinions.

lol!

Wirelessly posted

My aunt told me that I tried break mine on purpose too. (My aunt knows because she was there plus mom would tell her) Both FM and BTE. I would thrown my bte out the window and I would try to break my FM. Said that I did this so often that the money to replace it was difficult.

Last edited:
I was vacuuming one day and accidentally sucked up the lamp cord showed my daughter what happened, started vacuuming again she tapped me on my leg and pointed behind as turned to look, she threw her aid in the way of the vacuum! I was really proud because for a 3 year old I thought that was just ingenious!!

I have a profoundly deaf 3 year old son with cochlear implants. He was activiated about 4 months ago. Getting him to wear his cochlears has always been a challenge, but, once they are on, he seldom takes them off. The last 2 weeks have been beyond challenging. We can't get him to wear them at all. All of our old positive, and negative, rewards have stopped working. It is as if he is trying to tell us that we can't make him do it. I am at my wit's end. Does anyone have any suggestions? The odd thing is that he has really amped up the babbling! I wish he could hear all of the new sounds he is making. He even said mom, repeatedly, as was babbling himself to sleep the other night.

Also I would like to add that if you continue to try and force him, coax him or bribe him to wear them, you could potentially affect his self esteem. Because you're sending him the hidden message that deafness is bad by spending all this time fussing over how to 'fix' your son. Just let him be who he is, if you're not signing with him start and that way you've opened all the doors for him.

Ok I'm going to get off my soap box before I go on a 'this is the right way' rant and block myself from this thread...

Also I would like to add that if you continue to try and force him, coax him or bribe him to wear them, you could potentially affect his self esteem. Because you're sending him the hidden message that deafness is bad by spending all this time fussing over how to 'fix' your son. Just let him be who he is, if you're not signing with him start and that way you've opened all the doors for him.

Ok I'm going to get off my soap box before I go on a 'this is the right way' rant and block myself from this thread...

:shock::shock::shock: just :shock:

Wait a minute.. Is this what I have been saying all along??

The parent should take the responsibility for if she wants him to learn to use the implants . At age three he is not old enough to know what he wants.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:

:shock::shock::shock: just :shock:

Wait a minute.. Is this what I have been saying all along??

I believe this too. I also don't believe in forcing the child over a object on his body . I know there's some who make their child wear a pilot hat if they take it off. I prefer if parents relax about it and give them another option to communicate.

The parent should take the responsibility for if she wants him to learn to use the implants . At age three he is not old enough to know what he wants.

Thank you.

A 3 year old child does not understand the long term consequences of choosing not to wear their implants.

As a deaf person, I was forced to wear the FM system in middle school. I did whatever it took to destroy them. I DID not want to wear them. I have no idea on how I reacted to wearing hearing aids at the age of 7 months old but I did wear them all of my life. However, my deaf brother was fitted with them at a much earlier age and did what he could to not to wear them. To this day, at the age of 35, he only wears them in certain occasions. He has NO speech skilsl but is a successful deaf person.

As a deaf person, I was forced to wear the FM system in middle school. I did whatever it took to destroy them. I DID not want to wear them. I have no idea on how I reacted to wearing hearing aids at the age of 7 months old but I did wear them all of my life. However, my deaf brother was fitted with them at a much earlier age and did what he could to not to wear them. To this day, at the age of 35, he only wears them in certain occasions. He has NO speech skilsl but is a successful deaf person.

At a middle school age, it should be your choice, at 7 months, no. A 7 month old pulls off hats, bibs, socks, shoes, ANYTHING they can reach, it doesn't mean they don't like it, it means they are a child.

Wirelessly posted

A child remembers. Especially starting preschool

Last edited:
At a middle school age, it should be your choice, at 7 months, no. A 7 month old pulls off hats, bibs, socks, shoes, ANYTHING they can reach, it doesn't mean they don't like it, it means they are a child.

So are you saying that its fine to make sure they wear the device even though it might be hurting them?

So are you saying that its fine to make sure they wear the device even though it might be hurting them?

No, first and foremost you MUST make sure it is not hurting them. You need to make sure all components are working correctly and that the MAP is appropriate.

Wirelessly posted

They remember hating them.

If they hated them. If they were pulling them out simply because they were there, they will stop when they outgrow them and will leave them alone because they get benefit.

Thank you.

A 3 year old child does not understand the long term consequences of choosing not to wear their implants.

What are the long term consequences? I didnt notice any long term consequences of not wearing any implants... please tell me.

Wirelessly posted

If they are always breaking them even if you got every right and fixed....then what? Spank them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back