3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, just BEAT them up! Put the FEAR in them! :roll:

My mom realized that it wasnt doing my brother any good by forcing him to wear his hearing aids after 5 years of struggling with him so she gave up. My brother stopped having violent tantrums. Now, as an adult, he will wear them when it is needed. It is all about CHOICES. After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?

No, I don't think any of us are asking you to wear the device.

Did I say that you were telling me to wear my device? I was sharing my experience, ok?

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:
No, just BEAT them up! Put the FEAR in them! :roll:

My mom realized that it wasnt doing my brother any good by forcing him to wear his hearing aids after 5 years of struggling with him so she gave up. My brother stopped having violent tantrums. Now, as an adult, he will wear them when it is needed. It is all about CHOICES. After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?

She was talking about every deaf person, not herself. Us deafies, are the ones who have to wear it.

Did I say that you were telling me to wear my device? I was sharing my experience, ok?

You said: "After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?" But no, this thread is not about you having to wear a device. It's about a very specific 3YO. The decision that mother made to implant her child is not a slap in your face or a suggestion that you are somehow not a worthwhile person because you don't wear a particular tool, which is how you seem to take it and respond.

Wirelessly posted

She was talking about every deaf person, not herself. Us deafies, are the ones who have to wear it.

Yes, but you don't. And there's no one homogeneous entity that is affected here. There's one specific child whose mother asked for help, and he could use fast action, not recriminations about what happened to individuals 20, 30, 40 years ago. He did not force you to wear a hearing aid, neither did his mother. His situation isn't an indictment of yours.

Wirelessly posted

he's the one who have to wear it. Not his mother. So why force it?

Wirelessly posted

Is someone saying he should be forced to be in pain or discomfort? I didn't see that, and don't agree w/that. I think suggestions have been that his programming should be adjusted so there's no discomfort.

You said: "After all, it is, us, who are the ones who have to wear these devices, isnt it?" But no, this thread is not about you having to wear a device. It's about a very specific 3YO. The decision that mother made to implant her child is not a slap in your face or a suggestion that you are somehow not a worthwhile person because you don't wear a particular tool, which is how you seem to take it and respond.

We all have been forced to wear a device when we were young. Some of us threw tantrums and some of us didnt. It is deaf people who are the ones wearing the devices for the sake of hearing, no?

We all have been forced to wear a device when we were young. Some of us threw tantrums and some of us didnt. It is deaf people who are the ones wearing the devices for the sake of hearing, no?

I don't know why you were forced to wear a device.

But I don't believe that deaf people are wearing devices for the sake of the hearing, no.

I provide my child with baths. She often objects on principle, until she's in the bath and having fun. I provide her with vegetables, which she accepts only after bribery and cajoling. I insist that she go to bed at night and wear warm clothing in the snow, even though it's a pain in the neck to put it all on. I require her to attend school. I suppose you could argue that all parenting is oppression, in general.

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:
Wirelessly posted

Is someone saying he should be forced to be in pain or discomfort? I didn't see that, and don't agree w/that. I think suggestions have been that his programming should be adjusted so there's no discomfort.

That's fine but be willing to accept that some kids want to be deaf.

But I don't believe that deaf people are wearing devices for the sake of the hearing, no.

I provide my child with baths. She often objects on principle, until she's in the bath and having fun. I provide her with vegetables, which she accepts only after bribery and cajoling. I insist that she go to bed at night and wear warm clothing in the snow, even though it's a pain in the neck to put it all on. I require her to attend school. I suppose you could argue that all parenting is oppression, in general.

What?

We all had to wear a device. Whether a HA, or FM system, body aid, etc.

We chose not to wear it? We got scolded, punished, yelled at by parents for costing them money. So yes, we did wear it for their sake. The hearing parents.

Heairng aids are painful to wear. I was forced to wear them by my speech therapists when they hurted so much that I was crying only to be blown off that I was having a "tantrum" only to find out a few hours later that I had an ear infection at that time. If you ever had an extremely painful ear infection and cant touch it without screaming in pain, IMAGINE having a device put in your ear when the whole side of your head HURTS?

Pls do not tell me it is nothing? Why do you think there are stories of many of us trying to break expensive equipment. Shouldnt you, parents, listen to our experiences Why are you blowing me off with this comparision with vegetables? I am talking about PAIN in my head. The sounds hurted my brother which was why he had trantrums about hearing aids putting in his head.

That is parental oppression, not the examples you provided about vegetables. Pls.

Wirelessly posted

Btw, I did fight going to school. Why? It was boring...I'm the only deaf in school. I did not want to be there at all.

Mom would have put up less fight if she understood and work with me. Oh and I hated onions with a passion. I was force to eat it even though it made me gag at every bit..even gave up dessert because I hated it so much. I still hate onions to this day..still make me gag.

Last edited:
What?

We chose not to wear it? We got scolded, punished, yelled at by parents for costing them money. So yes, we did wear it for their sake. The hearing parents.

You. Shel. I take you at your word that as individuals, you were "forced" into pain and discomfort by cruel parents who were doing it for their sake, not yours. Yes. But, 'deaf people" in general are not 'forced' to wear a device for the sake of hearing people. That's like saying that individuals who wear glasses are 'forced' to do so for the sake of their non-vision-impaired parents.

What?

As an adult, I have a choice whether to wear my HAs or not because there are days when the sounds are painful to me or when my ears hurt but as a child, I was told I was being naughty when I didnt want to wear them. That is ok? I guess so cuz we are deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back