23 Dead Cats, Dogs Found In N.J. Mansion

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
23 Dead Cats, Dogs Found In N.J. Mansion - News Story - WNBC | New York

NEW YORK -- Animal welfare workers pulled 23 dead dogs and cats from a multimillion-dollar Saddle River house on Tuesday.

WNBC.com's Vivian Lee reported Wednesday that animal welfare workers rescued 68 other animals found roaming in the feces-filled rooms of the home.

The bodies of the dead animals were found sealed up in shoeboxes in the garage of the house. Officials estimate the animals had died more than a year ago

Authorities said they are considering cruelty charges against the owners of the animals.

The house is owned by Cynthia Stewart, 49, and Philip Tamis, 66. They bought the property that the house is on for $525,000 in 1996, and built a home now assessed at $2.55 million. The house is in foreclosure proceedings, police said.

That what I found a short one but will find more. If you find it. Post here too pls.

It was so unbelievable!! sigh!!

Found More

Officials find 23 dead dogs and cats in feces-filled mansion

Officials find 23 dead dogs and cats in feces-filled mansion -- Newsday.com

TRENTON, N.J. - Authorities Wednesday were still looking for animals in a feces-ridden mansion in Saddle River after removing at least 23 dead cats and dogs and rescuing dozens more pets.

"Behind a mansion door there's a horror house," said James Lagrosa, head of the Bergen County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. "It was the worse I've ever seen in my eighteen years of doing this."

According to Lagrosa, a DHL delivery person alerted authorities Tuesday after he smelled a very strong odor coming from the home of Cynthia and Philip Tamis, and worried a body was decomposing inside; the delivery person also noticed through a window numerous animals running around the house.

When authorities arrived and could not find anyone home, Lagrosa said they entered the house and discovered the animals, pet food strewn around the floor and feces soiling every room in the house.

Authorities removed about 80 live cats and six dogs from the house, Lagrosa said; a kitten removed from the house died Wednesday morning. In the garage, he said they found 23 separate plastic bags that contained the remains of dead animals, some so decomposed that authorities could not tell what type of animal they were.

While authorities were removing the animals, Cynthia and Philip Tamis returned home and wanted to know what was going on, Lagrosa said.

A lawyer for the couple, Santo Bonanno, said the couple, who'd lived there for about eight years, had a long history of taking in sick and abandoned animals. But, he said, they were going through severe financial hardships after Cynthia Tamis's personnel business went bankrupt in 2003. The couple had taken out a number of loans to prop up the business, and were eventually forced to sell their home last Friday in a foreclosure auction for $2.6 million, Bonanno said.

"These are true animal lovers," Bonanno said.

The lawyer said animal welfare authorities visited the house two years ago after police, who were there to help Cynthia Tamis remove a large dog that died, became worried about the number of animals in the home. Bonanno said authorities determined the animals were being well-cared for: "Things just got out of hand ... She just fell apart."

Bonanno said the couple, who is currently staying at a motel, is cooperating with authorities, and Cynthia Tamis plans to meet with the prosecutor's office later Wednesday. He said she is also going to be evaluated for depression.

Lagrosa said he intends to file charges against the couple. Meanwhile, he said authorities are still removing animals from the house.

I agree with you, sequoias. If they couldnt take care of it, why didnt they call for help? geez

nodding seq *agree* they are SICK GRR
i hope they won't have more pets later on or stay in jail forever for doing that to all the animal *growl*

if they are animal lover why do they just bury dead animals instead of put in the boxes scoffs or get them medical attention
SMH

I cant imagine living like that for myself and the animals too. Ok..I will never understand people like them. Never..

I know Shel. I dont understand either! They never take care of it or abuse them for no reason. idiot ppl.

It's sad. They obviously had more animals then they could cope with. I know a few animal collectors myself. I have a friend who has too many animals and is getting really short of funds. When I told her not to get any more pets she said it was up to her. Sigh. I wish I could convince her that she should stop getting more animals.

UGH - again if you can no longer care for your pets, turn them over to a shelter or contact a rescue group and tell them your situation. If you are upfront with them about the situation, they are more likely to rehome the animals until you get back on your feet and are able to care for them properly - but not always.

Alot of them understand that things get out of hand for people and animals end up suffering the brunt of it - but if you feel that you are not doing everything right by your animals - it is time to re-evaluate your situation and determine that perhaps in this point in your life - you shouldnt have animals.

Right now, they are waiting for adoption. The news announced it few days ago!! Thats a great news. The bad news is some cats and dogs had to put into sleep due to bad healthy. Thats so sad!!

i can see that they are animal lovers wanting to take care of the animals but their financial situation had fallen apart.. still they should have contacted for help with the animals instead let it get out of hands. sigh..

i can see that they are animal lovers wanting to take care of the animals but their financial situation had fallen apart.. still they should have contacted for help with the animals instead let it get out of hands. sigh..
Yes thats right but they neglect to get some help. sigh

That's really horrible it's just gross how people don't care for their pets enough to burry them or to take care of them

Yea they dont even bother to get a help or dont want to be embarrassed to bring into public to see it.

Back