2007 Winter Deaf Olympics

Seattle.guy

Reaction score
What's good news to hear! There are the 2007 Winter Deaf Olympics next February in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is similar to the 2002 Winter Olympics in the same location. Sounds like very exciting!

Check the website of the 2007 Winter Deaf Olympics out, http://2007winterdeaflympics.c-s-d.org/

It's always great to see people get all excited up about this large sports event.

However recent news has been casting a big question mark like a graying cloud over whether 2007 Winter Deaf Olympics really going to happen or not.

Richard

I should visit the Deaflympics sometimes and it will be interesitng to meet another Deaf people from another nations. :) :thumb:

I've already booked my hotel room and cannot wait to attend! I was at the try-outs for the hockey team in June, and we're all excited to see the USA hockey team win gold this time around!

If you're planning on going, make sure you let the hotel know it's for the Deaflympics. I know one hotel I called didn't realize there were going to be Deaflympics, but offered us a discount anyway!

A newspaper article regarding Deafympics

Salt Lake Tribune - United States (Monday, October 30, 2006)

Utah playing host: USOC can't help because of new rules resulting
from the Salt Lake Olympic scandal

By Sheena McFarland
The Salt Lake Tribune

Photo:
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/li...0/20061030__ut_deaflympics_1030~1_Gallery.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/li...0/20061030__ut_deaflympics_1030~2_Gallery.jpg

Photo with story:
Jeff Pollock, an American Sign Language instructor at the University
of Utah and a snowboarder on the U.S. Deaflympic team, earned a
silver and a bronze medal in the last two Deaflympics, and hopes to
take the gold in February when the Games come to Utah.
(Steve Griffin/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Jeff Pollock started out alpine skiing with his high school team. But in 1985, he gave up skis for a snowboard, and he hasn't looked back since. Now, Pollock, an American Sign Language instructor at the University of Utah, has medals to show for his passion. He earned a silver and a bronze in the past two Deaflympics Winter Games, and he's going for gold this February when the games for the deaf and extremely hearing impaired come to Utah. That gold, however, seems more elusive than ever as the Deaflympics face a financial crisis. Organizers say $2.5 million would cover the cost of hosting the five-event, 10-day games expected to draw more than 260 athletes and 3,000 spectators, but they have only $1.2 million. That budget doesn't cover the costs of athletes such as Pollock. Because he lives in Utah, Pollock doesn't have to worry about travel and lodging expenses, but his fellow snowboarders do. That's why Deaf-lympic coaches have asked each competitor to raise $4,000 to help defray athletes' expenses. Pollock, who was named 2005's Male Deaf Sportsman of the Year by the USA Deaf Sports Federation, has scraped together $1,000, and hasn't bought a season ski pass for training in order to save money for his teammates, who will compete Feb. 1-10.

He said some U.S. athletes already have pulled out of thegames because $4,000 would be enough to train for and compete in at least two year's worth of non-Deaflympic competitions. "The Deaflympics won't happen without athletes," he said. "What good is it without them?" Life was a lot easier, he said, when the United States Olympic Committee provided funding for the Deaflympics. Its financial support stopped after legislation restructured the USOC in 1998 after the Salt Lake Olympic scandal broke. The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, forced the USOC to focus on the Olympics and the Paralympics for athletes with physical disabilities at the expense of organizations ranging from the Dwarf Athletic Association to the Special Olympics. Before the change, the USOC had at least partially funded the Deaflympics since its inception nearly 80 years ago. Many say the USOC doesn't consider deaf athletes disabled enough to participate in anything but the regular Olympics. That attitude infuriates Deaflympic organizers and athletes. "Part of the experience of the Olympics is the camaraderie felt with other athletes," said Shirley Platt, a member of the Deaflympics organizing committee. "But our athletes wouldn't have an interpreter to really get that feeling from other athletes."

Pollock agrees. He knows deaf athletes have every physical capability of other athletes except for hearing, so the Paralympics aren't a good fit. The only accommodations used in the games are lights instead of whistles. But he says deaf athletes face "oppression" in training and too often are overlooked for hearing athletes. "We can get together as a community, set aside our international differences, and share the experience of being deaf," he said. That's one of the aspects Carina Crosby, a 16-year-old Park City High School student and alpine skier, looks forward to. She has raised about $1,000 and hopes to raise the full $4,000 to help her fellow skiers get to Utah. She plays high school sports and is trying to get her season ski pass sponsored this year to train. She wants to see the games go well in her hometown. "The Deaflympics have a long tradition. . . . I think that the deaf people have a right to honor our achievements in the Deaflympics," she said. Darryl Seibel, USOC spokesman, said budget limitations keep his organization from funding the Deaflympics. "Our primary focus is the Olympics, the Paralympics and Pan-American games, and we have to align our resources in that way," he said. "We are like any other business. Our resources are finite. The cost of day-to-day business is going up and we're moving into an unprecedented competitive land- scape." Seibel says other countries outspend the U.S. on their Olympic teams; the U.S. isn't even in the top five best-funded teams. Stevens, the Alaskan senator, has written letters to the USOC stating he never intended to eliminate the Deaflympics from the
USOC's funding structure. The USOC responded by sending its corporate sponsors marketing proposals encouraging them to support the Deaflympics. The USOC also has allowed the Deaflympics to use the Olympic name and logo, which Seibel said is invaluable. Deaflympics supporters want to perpetuate the prestige of the Olympic name, but they are struggling to do so without financial support behind the logo. Organizers have found some large sponsors, such as IHC, the Eccles Foundation and Sorenson Communications, which manufactures a videophone for the deaf.

They also are selling commissioned artwork to raise funds. But they've still had to halve their operating budget to $1.2 million. "We have cut our budget to its bare bones," Platt said. "We don't want the world to come to Utah and give our state's reputation a black eye." She wishes the USOC would at least allow the Deaflympics to light the Olympic Caldron during the games. She also wants more support from the Utah Sports Commission and other state and local government officials. The state has lent support in the form of a $100,000 grant from the Utah Department of Tourism, but that money can only be used to promote the event out of state to attract tourists, said Michael Deaver of the Office of Tourism.

The Utah Sports Commission helped secure that grant, but otherwise chose not to get involved with the Deaflympics, Chief Executive Jeff Robbins said.

"We don't see a large economic impact and image-building opportunity with the Deaflympics." He said the commission cautioned Deaf- lympics organizers about the difficulty of hosting the games. "A multisport and multivenue event with the international layering of protocol and decorum is a hard thing to pull off," he
said. And, because the Deaflympics is affiliated with the USOC, it should fall to that group and not the commission to fund, Robbins added.

Therein lies the dilemma for Deaflympic organizers. Even though the USOC offers no financial support, it restricts
which sponsors Deaf- lympic organizers can use, Platt said. Pepsi cannot be approached, for example, because Coca-Cola is an Olympic sponsor. Plus, many Olympic sponsors say no to the Deaflympic organizers because they've already paid for Olympics and Paralympics sponsorships, she said. Platt and other organizers have encountered issues ranging from finding curling stones they can afford to locating enough interpreters. They are trying to be frugal while still putting on an event that will reflect well on the state. "We are still looking at ways to bring down our costs, but we still need another $500,000 to make this go well," organizer Dennis Platt said. "We could breathe a lot easier if we knew we had the support of the state and the USOC."

I'm going, too!!! I can't wait to see my several friends in there! omg omg omgomg

I just picked up wind that C.I.S.S. is developing internal proposals that could result in PNG's being handed out to people who have been very vocal in their opposition to the current leadership.

Richard

Hockey News

From the newsroom of the Sports Features Communications, Tampa,
Florida, Tuesday, January 16, 2007 .....

Hockey - 2007 U.S. Deaflympic Ice Hockey Team Named

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Contacts: Christy Jeffries (christyj@usahockey.org)
Tom Schaffner (toms@ahiha.org, 312-828-9300)

Players to Compete in Winter Deaflympics in Salt Lake City, Feb. 1-10

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Twenty-three players were today named to the
2007 U.S. Deaflympic Ice Hockey Team that will travel to Salt Lake City
to compete in the 16th Winter Deaflympics from Feb. 1-10. The U.S.
team, which was assembled by the American Hearing Impaired Hockey
Association, will play five games in eight days, starting against
Russia on Feb. 2.

Included on the U.S. roster are 12 players who have previous experience
in the Deaflympics, highlighted by four-time Deaflympian forwards Tony
McGaughey (Holbrook, Mass.) and Jim Siciliano (Agawam, Mass.). In
addition, veteran goaltender Robert Boope (Rochester, N.Y.) has
competed in the last three Games and three other members of the team defenseman Matt Holmes (Erie, Pa.) and forwards Ben Johnson (Faribault,
Minn.) and Matt Jones (Horsham, Pa.) - are two-time Deaflympians.

Leading Team USA will be Jeff Sauer (Madison, Wis.), who is one of the
most successful coaches in college hockey history and a longtime coach
of the AHIHA varsity team. Currently serving as an assistant to the
commissioner of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (NCAA
Division I), Sauer recorded 655 victories in 31 seasons as a Division I
head coach to rank seventh on the all-time list. During stints at the
University of Wisconsin and his alma mater Colorado College, he was
twice named the WCHA Coach of the Year while leading the Badgers to two national championships.

The Deaflympics, founded in 1924, is the second oldest international
multi-cultural sports event in the world, surpassed only by the Olympic
Games, which were founded in 1894. Competition will feature over 400
athletes from 22 countries competing in alpine and cross country
skiing, snowboarding, curling and ice hockey.

The United States has participated in four previous Deaflympics,
securing a gold medal (1995), two silver medals (1991, 1999) and a
bronze medal (2003).

NOTES: The 2007 U.S. Deaflympic Ice Hockey Team was selected from a
pool of 30 players following training camps in Chicago and Ann Arbor,
Mich. … Team USA will train in Colorado Springs, Colo., at both
the Olympic Training Center and the Air Force Academy from Jan. 18-29,
before departing for the Games on Jan. 30 … The Deaflympics
(previously known as the International Silent Games, the World Silent
Games and the World Winter Games for the Deaf) is recognized by the
International Olympic Committee … This marks just the second time
that the Winter Games will be held on U.S. soil, with the last time
being in Lake Placid, N.Y., in 1975 … Jeff Sauer will be joined
behind the bench by assistant coaches David Zimmerman (Minot, N.D.) and
Lex Tiahnybik (Skokie, Ill.) … Training camp coaches include
David Lassonde (Rochester, N.H.), Joe Gotfryd (Bro okfield, Ill.) and
goalie coach Al Godfrey (Brandenton, Fla.) … Sauer, Zimmerman and
Godfrey are USA Hockey Level 5 certified coaches, while Lassonde is
Level 4 certified and Tiahnybik and Gotfryd are Level 3 certified ...
Team USA goaltender Jeff Mansfield (Boston, Mass.) was the first
Recipient of USA Hockey's Disabled Athlete of the Year award in 2005.

Team USA Deaflympics Schedule

Feb. 1-10, 2007 * Steiner Ice Center * Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Opponent Time (EST/MST)

Feb. 2 Russia 1:00 p.m./11:00 a.m.

Feb. 4 Sweden 10:00 p.m./8:00 p.m.

Feb. 6 Canada 10:00 p.m./8:00 p.m.

Feb. 8 Finland 5:00 p.m./3:00 p.m.

Feb. 9 Germany 10:00 p.m./8:00 p.m.

Feb. 10 Medal Ceremony 5:00 p.m./3:00 p.m.

© 2007 Sports Features CommunicationsTM

Yeeahh Its almost here!!

Hey y'all.

I am living in Utah. I am going to be working as a volunteer. I can see some of you are coming down to Utah. It is an exciting event. If you wanna buy something from Olympics, I will be at one of those olympic stores!! :)

Yeah GO USA!

I wish all the deaf athletes and their suporters, the organizers, the sponsor's representatives, and fans a safe, happy, and productive experience at the 16th Winter Deaflympics games held in Salt Lake, Utah.

Richard Roehm

Last edited by a moderator:
Bewitched: I live here too in SLC and want to try and volunteer....do you know what I need to do? Also any of you coming here, I wanna meet and hang out with.

Bewitched: I live here too in SLC and want to try and volunteer....do you know what I need to do? Also any of you coming here, I wanna meet and hang out with.

Did you fill out the application? If not, it is too late to apply. They already have all volunteers ready. You can check the website and find out more information. I would suggest you to go to Expo. You will meet a lot of people there. If you wanna watch and all, it cost about 160 dollars including gala and ceremony. It is a good price. So check the website. I believe seattleguy already post up the website. It shldn't be hard to find.

Yup, I'm a fellow Utahn. I will be working full-time with the Deaflympics, being a host for the German and the Austrian teams, showing them around and helping them with whatever they need. It's a good thing I can speak German fluently, but my German SL is rusty. I am excited for this wonderful experience.

Gooooooooooooo Germany and Austria!

Yup, I'm a fellow Utahn. I will be working full-time with the Deaflympics, being a host for the German and the Austrian teams, showing them around and helping them with whatever they need. It's a good thing I can speak German fluently, but my German SL is rusty. I am excited for this wonderful experience.

Gooooooooooooo Germany and Austria!

Yeah... it must be so exciting for you. Especially your position sound like a demanding job. I wish you the best of luck with these people. Make sure you can bring them to Olympic store so i can meet your group!!! :)

Heh you know me, Bewitched, with two jobs and school, I think that I am used to this kind of pressure. ;) I'll be sure to bring my teams to your booth and let you talk their eyes out.

Heh you know me, Bewitched, with two jobs and school, I think that I am used to this kind of pressure. ;) I'll be sure to bring my teams to your booth and let you talk their eyes out.

yeah i would be overwhelm with all those languages. Hehe. See you on this Saturday meeting.

Back