20,000 TTY to 911 calls each year

So far, about 5 (Maybe 6) times used 911 though SorensonVP. Response time, no different than if a hearing people call 911. VERY VERY FAST! Much faster than TTY for sure.

Done once on highway, called 911 though my smartphone, of course it is Sorenson because I saw a car caught fire. I was testing to see if it works even on highway, sure enough about 90 seconds after making call, fire truck arrived. The fire department wasn't that far.

So far, about 5 (Maybe 6) times used 911 though SorensonVP. Response time, no different than if a hearing people call 911. VERY VERY FAST! Much faster than TTY for sure.

Done once on highway, called 911 though my smartphone, of course it is Sorenson because I saw a car caught fire. I was testing to see if it works even on highway, sure enough about 90 seconds after making call, fire truck arrived. The fire department wasn't that far.

They were tracking your smartphone to find what place?

Not sure :dunno:, I just informed them the highway marker code. They know where to find it. You can see the highway marker code every 1/10 to 1/4 mile or something like that.

They were tracking your smartphone to find what place?

If you call 911 from a smartphone, will police/fire know where you are calling from? Like if I ever should have to call 911 from home? I don't have a landline.

That's what registration is for, and always update 911 address when u relocate. There is no way for any vrs company to find out where u move every time u move.

On road, its bit different, not all device can detect using GPS.

But on brighter news text based 911 is on way, and it should be able to locate where u are automatically. I am not 100% positive yet.

If you call 911 from a smartphone, will police/fire know where you are calling from? Like if I ever should have to call 911 from home? I don't have a landline.

That's what registration is for, and always update 911 address when u relocate. There is no way for any vrs company to find out where u move every time u move.

On road, its bit different, not all device can detect using GPS.

But on brighter news text based 911 is on way, and it should be able to locate where u are automatically. I am not 100% positive yet.

I have not been using VRS. Could I just simply dial 911 from my phone (even though I can't hear them) and they would know where I am at and can find me? I went to Verizon's site and made an account with my phone # but it doesn't give me an option for a 911 location like my old t-mobile account did.

Don't confuse with phone nbr u got from Verizon, vrs number is assigned by Ur vrs provider. If u don't use vrs or don't have embedded vrs apps on Ur phone and simply calling using Verizon or whatever, it will take a while for them to locate u then hook up right local 911 dispatcher office.
I have not been using VRS. Could I just simply dial 911 from my phone (even though I can't hear them) and they would know where I am at and can find me? I went to Verizon's site and made an account with my phone # but it doesn't give me an option for a 911 location like my old t-mobile account did.

I don't have a VRS number. No VRS apps either. The only phone # I use is my actual cell phone # for texting.

Ok just dial 911 and wait, that's all can do, no guarantee but once text 911 starts, then u can make 911 though text.

I don't have a VRS numb:wave:er. No VRS apps either. The only phone # I use is my actual cell phone # for texting.

Ok. That doesn't really answer my question. (I don't want to just "wait" and hope they find me.) Somebody else must know?

Last edited:
I think smartphones have GPS and if you dial 911, they would locate you and respond. Same with E-911 on mobile VP with the E-911 location provided.

I had a friend who were in situation and called 911 on the smartphone and not long the police came. Seems like 911 worked on the GPS based location.

Thank you, Calvin. That is what I thought and hoped was correct. I do know my iPhone has GPS in it but I wasn't sure if the police would pick up my location on their end.

It really depends on factor, for example Ur in middle of nowhere in Iowa, do u expect fast response? As opposed as if Ur in mid city or big city, probably, also, it depends on what device Ur using, not all are GPS supported. Somebody asked me why its taking half an hour for 911 to respond, while others very fast.

Each city, town, county has their own 911 center, sometimes more than one, sometimes none. There are few towns in middle of Oregon that don't have 911. That's why I can't give u false sense of security as if i said yeah, know what I'm saying?

Ok. That doesn't really answer my question. (I don't want to just "wait" and hope they find me.) Somebody else must know?

If you are under the highway or road in the tunnel. It's high chance GPS won't able to track where you are.

It really depends on factor, for example Ur in middle of nowhere in Iowa, do u expect fast response? As opposed as if Ur in mid city or big city, probably, also, it depends on what device Ur using, not all are GPS supported. Somebody asked me why its taking half an hour for 911 to respond, while others very fast.

Each city, town, county has their own 911 center, sometimes more than one, sometimes none. There are few towns in middle of Oregon that don't have 911. That's why I can't give u false sense of security as if i said yeah, know what I'm saying?

I have enough common sense to figure all that out, thank you very much. :roll: You seem to think a bunch of us on this forum are idiots.

I merely asked if you call 911 from a smartphone, will police/fire know where you are calling from? The answer was yes, as Calvin pointed out.

I do fully understand there will be extenuating circumstances based on location, etc. that may make response time slower. Everybody knows that. :roll: Furthermore, I do not use VRS, and not everybody else does. I don't know why you jumped to the conclusion that I did.

Oh my! Idiots? I'm sorry you think this way, but I wasn't thinking this way.

Guess, I am not going to help you and the other guy anymore. It really insulted me that you assume that I call you idiot, once again I never called you and other guy an idiot. Anyway, your free to believe whatever you believe.

:bye:

I have enough common sense to figure all that out, thank you very much. :roll: You seem to think a bunch of us on this forum are idiots.

I merely asked if you call 911 from a smartphone, will police/fire know where you are calling from? The answer was yes, as Calvin pointed out.

I do fully understand there will be extenuating circumstances based on location, etc. that may make response time slower. Everybody knows that. :roll: Furthermore, I do not use VRS, and not everybody else does. I don't know why you jumped to the conclusion that I did.

Thank you, Calvin. That is what I thought and hoped was correct. I do know my iPhone has GPS in it but I wasn't sure if the police would pick up my location on their end.

If you are under the highway or road in the tunnel. It's high chance GPS won't able to track where you are.

E911 can find you without satellite (GPS) necessary. It's calls tower triangulation and it's work great for inside the build, train, subway, basement, etc as cellular phone got good signal. If phone got bad reception then use satellite.

All analog cell phone is not allow to use anymore due e911 issue.

The tower triangulation is better than GPS for accuracy and quick. Why? Between mobile to tower triangulation is around few miles depend where location it is. Between mobile to satellite is around 3,000 miles away plus GPS easy to get confused by bad weather, inside build, big city, etc. tower triangulation don't.

also, it depends on what device Ur using, not all are GPS supported. Somebody asked me why its taking half an hour for 911 to respond, while others very fast.

That's what tower triangulation for.

E911 still better than VRS at poor signal.

Right, as of right now, it is not everywhere yet. Majority of areas have towers. Many thought it was though satellite, I found out nope, it was though towers. And yup, weather can mess up with satellites.

I believe in future, it won't matter where you are, 911 will be accessible and depending on location, it can take longer for emergency responders to respond. I can prove that, because if you have time machine, go back to 1970, what they got if you need emergency service. Oh my god! It will take forever! Plus you need to know the local telephone number of fire, police, Ambulance, etc.

As for relay, they are still behind and eventually won't matter anymore. That is why it is important to update the location address whenever relay user moves. I have seen many that don't update their 911 location address, this can add significant delay time.

That's what tower triangulation for.

E911 still better than VRS at poor signal.

Back