1st week

JKB315

Reaction score
Got tested today after 1 week post activation. I was a little discouraged during the test until I saw the results. I am around 28% speech recognition. I heard all the beeps but had trouble understanding the words. I heard her loud and clear though. I thought this was good for the 1st week.

I wish I had copies but the difference was amazing. My old chart looked like a almost vertical ski slope with 2 hearing aids. This new one was straight all across. I'll get some updated results in January when I go back for full testing and mapping.

We discussed it and most likely, it will take me awhile to understand speech since I have not understood it for over 25 years.

I am very determined to train myself to comprehend speech. I've been thinking about buying a audio book or two where I can sit and read while hearing it.

I am very determined to train myself to comprehend speech. I've been thinking about buying a audio book or two where I can sit and read while hearing it.

Jerry, any improvement is a good thing. My CI audi recommended audio books as well, or, if I don't want to do that (which I probably won't as I have a tendency to fall asleep while reading :giggle:), watch a lot of tv with CC. I can already tell a difference in my speech comprehension in a one on one convo. My husband is less frustrated and says I don't talk loud like I did before. Both good things in my book. I am sure things will continue to improve. Keep us posted.
ET

Slightly discouraged after I heard how my friend's results were. One of my friends had 54% first week and the other one was better than that. Still disappointed in my audiologist rushing me out the door everytime I am there without really doing any programming.

Slightly discouraged after I heard how my friend's results were. One of my friends had 54% first week and the other one was better than that. Still disappointed in my audiologist rushing me out the door everytime I am there without really doing any programming.

You still haven't had a mapping? Not even a small one the first day? I have four levels on mine...to step up to..and a full mapping in three weeks (should have been two, but that is New Years). That just doesn't sound right.

You still haven't had a mapping? Not even a small one the first day? I have four levels on mine...to step up to..and a full mapping in three weeks (should have been two, but that is New Years). That just doesn't sound right.

She did some the first day. From what I she told me the first day the P1 and P2 are the only ones working currently P2 is for noisy environments. That's all she said. I am going to make sure she explains this to me next appointment.

With mine, as I said, I have four levels to work through..each one has more electrodes turned on, if I have this right..
But, for noisy environments I have the S levels and the Volume to work with. I switched to level P2 this afternoon and it lets more sound in, and it may be my imagination, but it seems less synthesized to me. All I know is that my speech reading is much better now than it was last week. And if that is all I were to get out of this, I could be content. Not Happy, but..to not see that look of frustration on my hubby's face when he talks to me is soooo nice.

Back