1961 vs. 2011

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
1961 vs. 2011

Scenario 1:
Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1961 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his own car and gets his shotgun to show Jack
2011 - School goes into lock down, Police called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1961 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2011 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1961 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given the strap by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2011 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of a tranquilizer. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD.. The school gets extra money from the province because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1961 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to university and becomes a successful businessman.
2011 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The children's aid worker is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the aid worker.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1961 - Mark shares his aspirin with one of the teachers who also has a headache.
2011 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations.. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Mohammed fails high school English.
1961 - Mohammed goes to summer school, passes English and goes to university.
2011 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by the province. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. Citizen's Rights Coalition files class action lawsuit against the provincial school system and Mohammed's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Mohammed is given his diploma anyway but ends up driving a cab for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1961 - Ants die.
2011 - CSIS, the RCMP and local authorities are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The RCMP investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1961 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2011 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy at the expense of the taxpayers. And to this one I would add: and Johnny's parents sue the school board for having an unsafe yard!

definitely not a joke at all :(

oh it's just me. I'm just being a party pooper. This has been posted before though.

You musta had a long day. Wasn't sure it was here before and I will confess right now, I never bothered to look. Hope you get to feeling more like yourself.

It really rings true....(I've seen this before)....and worth reposting!....Situations and people have changed so much....Things sure were a lot more simplier in the old days....

Correction for #5.........in 1961 there would be no car....trust me, we were not allowed to drive to school

Oh my gosh...sad but I was laughing.

i'm only 20 so i wasn't born then..but i have to agree with this. so much has changed..sad but true. i remember getting HORRIBLE and KILLER cramps so i'd bring some strong pills with me to school and hide them in my purse. i'd go to the girls bathroom and take them, so nobody would see me. if i was caught, they'd call the cops on me and expel me

"Allowed" isn't the question; having a car for a teenager is. Back in the early '60's (which I remember fondly, having lived through them), it was very rare for teenagers to drive to school. Some of the seniors, maybe, especially if they had after-school jobs, but as a general rule, no.

The firecrackers comment made me wince. A boy in my h.s., one year ahead of me, set off some cherry bombs (small firecrackers that make a big "bang" and one fast flare of light). One went off in his face (due to a short fuse or something), and he ended up losing the sight of both eyes, completely, as his eyeballs were burnt to a crisp. This was in 1967.

After he healed up, he did manage to graduate from high school. I don't know what he did after that, but I know for a while he was making the rounds as a motivational speaker to h.s. classes, along the lines of "look at me, and don't make the same stupid mistake I did."

I didn't start high school until 1965, but I remember a few students drove to school. Probably not as large a percentage as do now.

I don't recall any cherry bomb incidents at my HS but Hubby said it was common at his HS, especially in the boys' restroom.

Our high schools in Connecticut had boys' and girls' rifle teams, among other sports. I wonder if that's changed.

We had no police on duty at our high schools, and I don't recall ever seeing a police officer at our campus for any reason. Maybe it happened; I just never saw any.

We had no bomb scare evacuations or lock downs. No riots or strikes.

I attended two high schools in San Diego, and two in Connecticut (different towns).

I guess my high schools were boring. :lol:

I drove myself to school only in those extremely rare cases the family car was free for the day and when my parents were feeling generous. :giggle: My high school allowed students to drive themselves to school and they had a a big gravel parking lot next to the football field.
The students were allowed to smoke between classes in certain designated areas.
One guy brought a mortar round from WWII to history class and said to be careful in handling it as it was being passed around, since it was loaded!
I got into fisticuffs a couple times, but we were simply brought to the principal's office where we shook hands and sent back to class.
Sometimes I would bring a water pistol to school and shoot students in the back of their heads, and the pistols were never confiscated.
Yup, times were different back then. :lol:

Correct, you were allow to drive but school rules said only staff and teachers could drive to school.

My uncle clearly remembers being able to drive his car to school for grades 11-12. He was at Thomas Carr Howe High School in Indianapolis, IN.

My hubby's cousins all say they drove to school during their junior and senior years and that was in Fort Pierce, FL and Okeechobee, FL.

I sister-in-law states that her uncles and aunts all drove to school during those years also and that was in St. Joseph, MO.

Correct, you were allow to drive but school rules said only staff and teachers could drive to school.

That might've been YOUR school or whatever school you're referring to. Even my own parents drove to school, and that was back in the 60's. I asked. Many others did too. :roll:

Back