11 Years as a Deaf Educator Didn't Prepare Me...

I appreciate the support from all of you. Thank you. :wave:

Hope that your little girl will get what she needs through IEPs once the test result has come in.

Like others said, you're more equipped than many parents. On the top of that, you have huge amount of determination to get the best for your girls.

Let us know the outcome.

:hug:

I appreciate the support from all of you. Thank you. :wave:

Baja, I agree with the others you are more prepared than you think. As a d/hh child in a mainstream system - you have so much experience and education to bring to the table when it comes to the needs of your daughter. There couldn't be a better situation. You know what she's going through. She doesn't have to go through life feeling ashamed of it like I did (actually I now realize I was made to feel ashamed of a lot of things). I will say this: if the day comes that my DD receives the notification from the school that did not pass her hearing screening and must be referred to an audiologist/ENT I would be a scared because I don't how to navigate the system as a parent and because my parents were fed a lot of audist crap. At least I would push for accommodations knowing how much I struggled without them.

As parents we all want to believe our children are healthy and normal in every way or that our child has functioned as 'normal' for so long and quietly struggled until their disability was discovered that we are taken aback. I say it's ok to be scared, just know that you have a lot of support from us here at AD.com.

:hug:

Hang in there... a deaf child is a gift from god... and I'm not a terribly religious person!

Usually when one ear has some form of hearing loss and the other doesn't, then at some point in life... the good ear will also lose some hearing.

Don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world. She's still your daughter. She will still do fine in school. The only thing different is that she has more hearing loss, but that doesn't make her love you less or any different than the girl that you gave birth to.

Think positive. Everything will be alright. :)

Back