100-Mile Diet

somedeafdudefromPNW

Reaction score
I am sure some of you have heard of it. If not... it's one of the latest trends in Vancouver.

100 Mile Diet: Local Eating for Global Change

The idea is that global transportation of food is causing shortages in places like Malawi where food is abundant but they're all exported out, leaving the native population starving; that global vegetarianism is actually more harmful to the environment than eating locally in term of carbon footprint; that we deprived ourselves of nutrients by purchasing unripened fruits and vegetables produced in other parts of the world.

The whole thing behind the diet is that you only eat what is available to you within 100-mile. The couple that initiated the trend were originally vegans, but ended up having to make a few sacrifices. Their lifestyle was so strict, it boiled down to asking the farmers where the feeds for the animals came from.

It's an interesting concept; actually, I wanted to do something like this long before I heard of the 100-mile diet-- eating locally-grown food that would had been available to my ancestors in 1871, which would had covered a bit more than a 100-mile.

However I see a few hurdles with myself: I am a potential candidate for celiac; however not all wheat, rye or spelt products bother me since it depends on the mill, so maybe it is related to the molds grown in storage at those mills, or the molds grown on the grains those mills sourced. What is really going to sucks is giving up oranges and rice, my two favourite things in the world-- and having to sustain on kasha (Slavic for groats, any kind of groats) since potato is not a favourite of mine. Also, if I do this, I will learn how to make my own jams, pickles, sauces and bread-making. :giggle:

I will see about giving this diet a shot once I figure out where the grains are coming from, and see if I can find partners to help out with the u-pick farms without a vehicle of my own. Apparently the key to making the diet work is to be reasonable, and have exceptions where one is not required to observe the rule such as eating out with friends, visiting relatives, eating on the job.

Have anyone done it, or has considered doing it?

I can't call myself a dedicated locavore, but especially in the Summer season here when we have our local produce explosion, I attempt to eat as much local produce as possible. In the last few months I really thoughtfully considered -should I get those 3-dollar on-special organic strawberries from CA<and available regular-price -4 bucks- all year> , or buy the $5 or so local strawberries available for a few weeks? hmmm...well, considering finances, I decided just not to get any strawberries.
actually, the meat we get is all local. I eat almost no meat but we buy in bulk from local/regional, all family farms. the eggs I get are all from within the state and hens raised without mass-produced confinement, again family farms.

I would die in winter unless I just ate meat and milk. THat seems unhealthy.

:wave: depends on how one does it. I was never a big milk drinker and actually have dairy allergies.
but certain things like spices, some fish - yeah, they do end up being from far away.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
I would die in winter unless I just ate meat and milk. THat seems unhealthy.

I thought Iowa is famous for its corn? Cannot you not get flours, groats and potatoes? Not to mention (pioneer) melons, apples, onions and carrots keep well; actually most of the heirloom produces the pioneers planted keep well throughout the winters. Many vegetables such as green beans and cabbages freeze well. Berries and dried tomatoes freeze well too.

Mom still remember what winters were like with home-grown food, and they couldn't afford meat.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I eat local and I do freeze my fruits/veggies so I can save money. Canning helps as well. Having a chicken coop helps as well. We'll have a chicken coop and a 4 season greenhouse when we move to Thunder Bay. Sacrifices are meant to be made and the payoff is worth it in the long run.

Wirelessly posted

Mom informed me when we were living in Lethridge, eighty percent of what we ate was within a 50-mile radius. The twenty percent? Flour, fruits, salt et cetera. It's only after we moved up north we ate more canned food, TV dinners, imported vegetables and so on.

Sad, eh?

Just found places where I can get chicken, beef locally and I think I may know where to get local produce. I'll know more later this month.

Wirelessly posted

I thought Iowa is famous for its corn? Cannot you not get flours, groats and potatoes? Not to mention (pioneer) melons, apples, onions and carrots keep well; actually most of the heirloom produces the pioneers planted keep well throughout the winters. Many vegetables such as green beans and cabbages freeze well. Berries and dried tomatoes freeze well too.

Mom still remember what winters were like with home-grown food, and they couldn't afford meat.

We could get corn, but not sure it would really be from here. Apples yes. I don't know if they grow onions and carrots, as I thought they grew all corn and soybeans here.

I;m pretty sure potatoes come from Idaho, unless you are thinking of buying at a farmers market of things like baby potatoes grown here for a fortune, and keeping them.

I really can't afford that. My younger daughter belongs to a coop and does get a lot of local organic foods year around.

But there is a big fee to join it and the food is very expensive. I grant you it is probably healthier, but I can't afford it and I am sure that is true for the majority.

I haven't been able to find locally grown grains in va.. :hmm: Much of the corn that I see around Hampton Roads area is for the cattle or so my parents tell me.

Wirelessly posted

deafskeptic said:
I haven't been able to find locally grown grains in va.. :hmm: Much of the corn that I see around Hampton Roads area is for the cattle or so my parents tell me.

They're hard to find here. I had to really look to see if I could find some grains. Supposedly there's quinoa and amaranth grown on Saltspring Island, and red fife wheat grown south of Duncan on Vancouver Island which took me about a week to find. Theoretically, rye, barley, buckwheat, corn and oats could be grown locally, but I haven't found a local source yet.

Wirelessly posted

Just bought Russian blue potatoes, free-range hormone-free grass-fed eggs, a large onion, some carrotsand green beans from the farmer's market.

I don't think tasted carrots like this in yeaaaaaaaaaars. And I never knew green beans could be so thick.

Will be making pierogi/warenki/vareniki later tonight.

I bought locally grown steak along with some salmon that i had for dinner. I tried to pick up local produce today but they said to come back tomorrow.

We are able to go to the waterfront and get fresh seafood. Hubby brought home shellfish, sailfish steaks, tarpon steaks, and I'm not sure what else. He then went to another place and got freshwater fish, bass, blue gill and catfish. the saltwater stuff cost a whopping $20 and the freshwater stuff was a whole $15. We have enough seafood for the 6 of us for 12 meals.

Just had grilled pork chops with locally grown peppers and caramelized onions with mashed potatoes and Waldrof salad and a couple of slices of baguettes. I plan to finish it later this week.

I learned where I can get raw milk but in order for me to get it, I'd have to deposit 100 dollars for my share of the cow or goat, then pay 30 dollars weekly or bi weekly for the upkeeping of it.

Wirelessly posted

deafskeptic said:
Just had grilled pork chops with locally grown peppers and caramelized onions with mashed potatoes and Waldrof salad and a couple of slices of baguettes. I plan to finish it later this week.

I learned where I can get raw milk but in order for me to get it, I'd have to deposit 100 dollars for my share of the cow or goat, then pay 30 dollars weekly or bi weekly for the upkeeping of it.

And how many litres [quarts] of milk you get in exchange?

Back