10 year top that will cure deaf to be hearing

id give my right ball for hearing in my left ear.

*thinks*

ok that didnt sound right.

but a cure? hell yeah id wanna be cured.

*throws self on the operating table scapel in hand*

They will find a solution to everything as long as they see it as a problem. This is what human has been doing for last ten thousand and more years. It is not the ability but time is in question. Given enough time every question that has an answer in the physical world will be answered. This will go on until something bigger than whole humanity comes up and the existence of human kind comes to an end.

If you are looking at it from a cultural point of view, every culture is being affected by technology. Just like the world and cultures are different now than previous centuries , it will keep changing in the future too. Today the barriers between cultures are lifted due to technological advancements in media, communication , travel, and the distribution of goods. This is fastening the process and changes becomes visible in one's lifetime. Stopping this is not possible since "change" is the driving force behind human evolution.

People who are unhappy with this ,first, can look at the global process and then identify its effects in their personal life, and on issues they care about , in order to get affected by it at a minimum level.

-

With genetic engineering and other advancements down the road, who knows? But I don't think it will happen in ten years' time.....

Let's hope not. I would rather remain Deaf as it is natural and not get us fix with any other devices or surgery which probably could cost thousand and thousand of dollars.

Really? Being deaf is cheap? I disagree. Hearing aids are not cheap. Helping deaf individuals with interpreters is not cheap, captioning is not cheap, relay service is not cheap, schools paying for you to be in their school because you're a deaf student due to needed special services like tutoring, interpreter, CART, etc., is not cheap.

Sure, I understand it's natural and all that creme de lal creme stuff you talk about, but it ain't by any way cheap.

I agree with Endy, it is difficult for many persons with deafness to find a job as quick as the hearing. I am not saying it is impossible to achieve your dreams, but it's not easy. Vocational Rehabilitation is not cheap.

This is what is so odd about the Deaf Culture Pride that they are in denial about everything else that is free for them by our taxpayer dollars. Where do you think Relay Service, Captioning, Vocational Rehabilitation, Interpreters, and all of those wonderful technologies and services come from?

It ain't cheaper being deaf.

As for deafness cure in 10 years, well, I don't know about that. Last time I read about the hair cell regeneration, the years of finding a cure increased to 50 years. I haven't heard anything about the hair cell regenaration studies.

Reply to DeafIronChef

friend of my he hearing say that ten year later deaf will be cure !!!!

Will u willing to be cure ?

10 years is too soon to tell that we will become hearing again with better technology (not CI or whatnot). I'd rather die and come back a normal, able-bodied person. I am in a wheelchair with mild Cerebral Palsy (or CP). For most of these people who are religious and have strong faith with the bible (I am not religious or anything like that); knowing that they will be resurrected or reincarned (I know it's not the right way to say but...) as a new person in a new world. That's my two cents without any word-bashing. :D

LeezaC

Even if we were cured, we will still struggle.

Hearing is a skill... just like talking.

You can't suddenly hear a watch beeping and know it's a watch. It takes time to recognize sounds and identify what they are.

Even if you suddenly could hear people talk, you still wouldn't be able to understand what they're saying because you've never heard them talk.

So, there would still be need for interpreters to help us adapt. There's also speech therapy and other stuff.

Wow, you been there, done that.

Endy,

I know how you feel. I've been in both worlds (too deaf for the hearing world and too hearing for the deaf world) for an awful long time.

Indeed, well put! That's what I am feeling right now... you just said it so well. No matter how much I love ASL. No matter how much I am so involved with Deaf Culture. No matter how much I love Deaf Community however they keep rejecting me and accepting me back and forth. I seriously cannot keep up with their "games." Really bad game, evidently. Wow, you been there, done that. Now you know why I am seriously thinking about getting CIs.

Funny thing is that I have been so almighty against the ideas of CIs a long time ago. Now, I am giving in to get the "ticket" to get in the Hearing world to get the best benefits that I never had before. I could say "More accessibility" than ever.

Great thing is that I have a Deaf VR counselor, she understood me completely. It's really frustrating, even not mentioning my anger against Deaf Community for not showing "support." I get a great benefits and supports from hearing community, oddly isn't it? Some hearies said No! Some hearies would give me support through therapy, some hearies will be with me for the whole process.

Yeah, I would go for it. I'd like to meet people with CIs to talk, get to know, get to know their experiences, etc. I want to meet people who will do the therapy with me after I "receive" CIs, etc.

What will I lose if I got this cure. I will still have the ability to talk in sign language and understand how it felt to be deaf.

AGAIN, Screw you all denying the cure. What about those who complaint about being deaf and not being able to get what they want because they're deaf. GO FOR THE CURE.

OMG!! I mean OMG!! That is my attitude, too! What else do I lose?? I will still have ASL to use. I will still have the benefits whatever is available to me.

I love ya for saying this quote, "What will I lose if I get this cure." What do I lose? Thank you for saying this.

True...

Really? Being deaf is cheap? I disagree. Hearing aids are not cheap. Helping deaf individuals with interpreters is not cheap, captioning is not cheap, relay service is not cheap, schools paying for you to be in their school because you're a deaf student due to needed special services like tutoring, interpreter, CART, etc., is not cheap.

Vocational Rehabilitation is not cheap.

Where do you think Relay Service, Captioning, Vocational Rehabilitation, Interpreters, and all of those wonderful technologies and services come from?

Let's face the facts that the State governments are cutting the funds, causing the Deaf schools at the very verge edge of closing down. State governments have been raiding money from VRS/Relay organizations. Even cutting down Vocational Rehabiliation funds by Department of Education and Labor. American with Disabilities Act has many loopholes that people can get away. Things are not getting easier today. We "may" lose the benefits quicker than we think. FCC Government are waivering more companies from putting captioning on their shows. That's WHERE the money come from -- State and Federal Governments, even the grants.

Rumors through Presidential Candidates, especially McMain, are working on cutting down funds in Medicare and Medicaid.

Now, Jobs.... that could be a nightmare with this current country's economy. CNN reported that 122,000 job losses every week. It is really hitting the country harder. Who knows they could "dare" cut down the SSI/SSDI/SS Retirement to use what is left of money to rescue the ecomony.

Being Deaf isn't cheaper in a way because we cannot get the jobs we always wanted. We turn around to governments for assistance. That's where the money comes from. Remember, this is very early stage of trouble for all of Deafies is that Vocational Rehabilitation agencies are facing some tightened budgets right now due to funds cut down by state governments. What would be next??

We have to do something about it right now, 10 years or 50 years later... waiting for a "cure." For myself, I'd go ahead and get implants. What option would you think of... ? (Keep in mind when the government cutting down the funds)

They have appeared to find some sort of cure on animals as genia pigs and mice.
They were given a drug to destory their hearing then used a harmless virus as a way to "mutante" the hair cells, evloving the electrical signals from the coclear to the nervous system then to the brain. They ran alot of tests on those animals and it seems to be an sucess, but they are not sure how long it would take for them to be hearing and how successful it really was...alot of them said it seems highly likely that it would work on a human someday but that would take many years before they can really run a test on a human.

In other articles I've read said one woman was doing research on stem cells which could "cure" the deafness in about 50 years from now.

So with this kind of "cure" it would take a VERY long time to see that happening. It's a very complicated progress. A normal hearing person would have about 12,000 hair cells in each ear. That's alot more than you expect.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/08/27/scideaf127.xml

Sure, I understand it's natural and all that creme de lal creme stuff you talk about, but it ain't by any way cheap.

I agree with Endy, it is difficult for many persons with deafness to find a job as quick as the hearing. I am not saying it is impossible to achieve your dreams, but it's not easy. Vocational Rehabilitation is not cheap.

This is what is so odd about the Deaf Culture Pride that they are in denial about everything else that is free for them by our taxpayer dollars. Where do you think Relay Service, Captioning, Vocational Rehabilitation, Interpreters, and all of those wonderful technologies and services come from?

As for deafness cure in 10 years, well, I don't know about that. Last time I read about the hair cell regeneration, the years of finding a cure increased to 50 years. I haven't heard anything about the hair cell regenaration studies.

:gpost:

Honestly, I'd take that "cure" chance. Yes you may need rehabilitation, but ummm so what? That's the same thing as a guy who has an useless leg saying "I don't need a cure for my leg because I am doing perfectly fine with my wheelchair. I don't want to do rehab! I dont wanna!!" It's fine if you don't want to but it's worth it for me. If it's not worth it for you to hear, so be it.

I think people can be a bit too sensitive about deafness, getting too emotional when it is remotely associated with the idea that it needs to be "fixed", so they don't look at it from a rational perspective. Not that I am saying that those who chose to be "all natural" are irrational, but there is a difference between "I decide not to use any tools or "cures" because I don't think it's worth it or I actually like being deaf." vs "Screw you all!!! Deafness is just being different!! IT DOES NOT NEED A CURE!!!"

if i had the chance to b hearing again, i think i would...
however theres nothing wrong wilh being deaf, infact it even has some positive sides. But for me personally i have just become deafen 2 years ago and i must agree i miss the hearing world alot! and i am so not used/comfortable in being a deafie yet. But, if i was born deaf or HOH or lost my hearing sense years ago then i would jud stay deaf as i am. I dun mind being a deafie infact i like it at times but becos it is so hard n incovenience for me in many ways, i often wish i was hearin......

U know..some of you are saying that it is harder to find jobs because we are deaf. I see it differently.. to me, it is the attitudes that the general society has about deafness that makes it difficult. If the attitudes can just change and give all of us a chance, I think jobs would be easier to come by. Technology makes it possible for deaf and hearing people to communicate in different ways.

I wouldnt say it is cuz of my deafness that I cant find a job...it is the attitude and I have to "sell" myself at interviews telling people who have stereotyping ideas about deaf people and convince them to change their views.

I dont know if getting a cure would be as simple as it was made out to be. Like SteelX said, there are just too many causes for deafness.

You can't suddenly hear a watch beeping and know it's a watch. It takes time to recognize sounds and identify what they are.

Even if you suddenly could hear people talk, you still wouldn't be able to understand what they're saying because you've never heard them talk.

So, there would still be need for interpreters to help us adapt. There's also speech therapy and other stuff.

Exactly what I mean on my post,we would have to learn to hear and talk.

Nor is trying to find a cure particularly cost efficient. We've already proven that with the CI. It was promoted by the medical community as a cost effective way to "treat" deafness. That hasn't been the case.

I agree. I feel the same way about my blindness. I've been totally blind since birth and if I were suddenly given the opportunity to see, I'd have to learn all kinds of things including how to read print, identify everyday objects and travel safely outdoors (i.e. learning how to ignore unimportant visual stimuli). If someone offered me a surgery that could give me sight, I'd turn it down because I'm very happy and satisfied with my life the way it is. Even though there's a small part of me that would be curious to know what it's like to see, that curiosity isn't strong enough for me to decide that I'd like to become a sighted person.

I agree. I feel the same way about my blindness. I've been totally blind since birth and if I were suddenly given the opportunity to see, I'd have to learn all kinds of things including how to read print, identify everyday objects and travel safely outdoors (i.e. learning how to ignore unimportant visual stimuli). If someone offered me a surgery that could give me sight, I'd turn it down because I'm very happy and satisfied with my life the way it is. Even though there's a small part of me that would be curious to know what it's like to see, that curiosity isn't strong enough for me to decide that I'd like to become a sighted person.

I admit I am curious about what it is like to hear with a CI and what the big fuss is but since it involves surgery, I am not curious enough. LOL!

I seriously cannot keep up with their "games." Really bad game, evidently
It's not just the Deaf Community............can also be just the human community.........I went through a bunch of shit with hearies :( there's drama and shitheads everywhere!

Back