10 Things I learned from my CIs

vallee

Reaction score
Since I was activated on the 8th of August, my life is very different. Some good and some different. I would not change it, just wished I did it 5 years ago. So here is my top ten list of what I have learned.

10. I have to follow a routine or I put the wrong CI on. Then of course I think I broke it.

9. Batteries always die when your having important conversation or Heroes is on.

8. It may take a lifetime to change people from flagging me down(to get my attention) or calling my name before each sentence(they do this so I look at them). Thats okay.

7. Music sounds like music, birds sound like birds, and police cars have sirens. The everyday sounds that make me jump out of bed each morning and not want to go to sleep at night are fantastic.

6. Less stress and focusing on hearing.

5. Everyone has different experiences with cochlear implants, but being able to connect with others make this experience more exciting.

4. My audie, doctor, and Let them hear are the best! They listen and listen and listen to me. Also insurance companies need to update there policies.

3. Listening to the ipod and cleaning the house are so much fun! Just don't vaccuum at the same time!!!

2. Having dinner out with my hubby and being about to talk over all the noise is wonderful.

1. Having a conversation with my daughter, Jenna is - PRICELESS

What a wonderful post!! I agree with so many of your comments - except # 3 - I vacuum AND listen to music on my MP3 player at the same time - I just make sure I'm using the autosensitivity setting when I do (I have the Freedom) and then the sound of the vacuum almost disappears.

#8 made me giggle - my Dad STILL comes and stands right in front of me out of habit to make sure I can lipread him!

The best is #1 - isn't it just amazing how having a conversation with a child is? My niece and nephew are the light of my life - and being able to understand what they are talking about is wonderful. Just yesterday, my nephew (4) was standing behind me while I was washing dishes, and asked "Auntie Neecy can we go to the park now?".... it was so sweet!

7. Music sounds like music, birds sound like birds, and police cars have sirens. The everyday sounds that make me jump out of bed each morning and not want to go to sleep at night are fantastic.

6. Less stress and focusing on hearing.

5. Everyone has different experiences with cochlear implants, but being able to connect with others make this experience more exciting

I like these :) #6 is my main target :)

I like these :) #6 is my main target :)

The reduction of stress when it comes to hearing is almost tangible!!! I can remember actively avoiding situations where I'd become stressed out trying to follow conversations. I'd decline invitations to meetings, parties, family gatherings, because it was so stressful just trying to understand what was being said, and the times I couldn't, I'd just sit "outside" of everything and feel depressed. I'd walk with my head down when I was out in public to avoid catching somebody's eye and then have to struggle lipreading them...its such a change now - usually I'm the one that initiates conversations - not only with family members but also with strangers at the bank, or while in line at the grocery store, etc...I look forward to meetings and gatherings, and LOVE being able to use the telephone!!! Getting my own cell phone was such a thrill.

The reduction of stress when it comes to hearing is almost tangible!!! I can remember actively avoiding situations where I'd become stressed out trying to follow conversations. I'd decline invitations to meetings, parties, family gatherings, because it was so stressful just trying to understand what was being said, and the times I couldn't, I'd just sit "outside" of everything and feel depressed. I'd walk with my head down when I was out in public to avoid catching somebody's eye and then have to struggle lipreading them...its such a change now - usually I'm the one that initiates conversations - not only with family members but also with strangers at the bank, or while in line at the grocery store, etc...I look forward to meetings and gatherings, and LOVE being able to use the telephone!!! Getting my own cell phone was such a thrill.

same here.. I totally live what you say here :( I feel frustrated when I get home from work.. and avoid crowd ,noisy places.. thanks for expressing my feelings exactly as they are .

Can any one tell me a good phone to use with the cochlear implant..I have the new one with the(4) settings.... but the phone is still not good. But I must say I can hear so much better..
Mr.More

You'd want a T4/M4 compatable phone. It's best to buy cellphones as they work better than landlines with CIs. The top 5 cellphone carriers in the USA are required by FDA to carry cellphones that are T4/M4 compatible.

Me too!!! I see a change in my self-esteem in situations. It is nice not to have to ask people to repeat themselves or ask others what did they say. It gives me independences.

Can any one tell me a good phone to use with the cochlear implant..I have the new one with the(4) settings.... but the phone is still not good. But I must say I can hear so much better..
Mr.More

For my landline, I use a Panasonic phone with Voice Enhancement. Its by far the best phone I have ever used.
6A.jpg

PANASONIC 2.4GHz Digital Cordless Phone w/Voice Enhancer [Panasonic/KX-TG2302B] - $36.50 : Lionup - Store!, roarin good savings on electronics

My cellphone is a Motorola Razr V3
motorola-v3.jpg

Vallee: Awesome post!!!!!

I agree on housework being much more fun being able to just put my husband's mp3 player attached to my pant & go about my day cleaning or whatever. :) I looooove it.

And having converstations with my daughters, who will be turning 7 and 5 in January is amazing!!! It always has been but with the CI, it's 1000x better!!!

I can now drive my daughter & her friend, who is also our neighbor home on my week as my daughter's friend's Mom & I take turn carpooling our daughters every other week. On my week, I am smiling all the way home because I can hear what the girls are talking about!!! Before I could just simply hear them talk but have no clue wth they're talking about. It's so nice to be able to join in their convo and ask them something or whatever and hear their response without having to turn my head!!!

I hear everything just as I did before, only better - music too!!! I appreciate music much more now!!! :)

And like you, I only regret that I didn't get this done 5+ yrs ago!!!! Dang!

Cell phone question: I have a SK3, is that a good cell phone with CI'ers? I am not even sure how to use it as I don't have anywhere to "plug" directly into that like I do with my speaker on the computer or my mp3 player. I prefer to be able to plug it in, as things are much clearer to me that way. I have a cord that I use with the mp3 player and computer speakers but it doesn't work with my cell. My husband says that he needs to go to the store and find one specifically for me to be able to use with the phone? I am confused. :( But do send me suggestions my way as I would loooove to start using the phone again with my Mommy. :") [lol, yes I said Mommy ;P]

Oh and vallee: I also noticed that I'm not as stressed out anymore in certain situations when it comes to having to communicate with hearing people that I don't know well - people used to get frustrated with me once in awhile or annoyed just 'cause I need 'em to repeat. Now that rarely ever happens unless they said a long word that I don't hear often or wanted to make sure I heard them right. lol.

Cell phone question: I have a SK3, is that a good cell phone with CI'ers? I am not even sure how to use it as I don't have anywhere to "plug" directly into that like I do with my speaker on the computer or my mp3 player. I prefer to be able to plug it in, as things are much clearer to me that way. I have a cord that I use with the mp3 player and computer speakers but it doesn't work with my cell. My husband says that he needs to go to the store and find one specifically for me to be able to use with the phone? I am confused. :( But do send me suggestions my way as I would loooove to start using the phone again with my Mommy. :") [lol, yes I said Mommy ;P]

Oh and vallee: I also noticed that I'm not as stressed out anymore in certain situations when it comes to having to communicate with hearing people that I don't know well - people used to get frustrated with me once in awhile or annoyed just 'cause I need 'em to repeat. Now that rarely ever happens unless they said a long word that I don't hear often or wanted to make sure I heard them right. lol.

From what I hear Motorola Razers are a popular choice. I just got the Samsung u740 and it works wonderfully!!

I can't think of 10 things when that I learned with my CI but I certainly can tell you one thing that I learned from wearing my CI: I thought that the radio had mostly news and talkt shows but it turns out to be mostly commericals!

I can't think of 10 things when that I learned with my CI but I certainly can tell you one thing that I learned from wearing my CI: I thought that the radio had mostly news and talkt shows but it turns out to be mostly commericals!

Isn't that the truth!!!!!

Post your top 10 list of what you learned from your CI or HA.

Valerie

Er...your top 10 were good but I can't relate to #10 as I only have one CI. When I put that on, it works all the time...:whistle:

As for my top ten...going from 1 to 10...(for a CI)

1) Best thing I ever done hearing wise...

2) I don't need to lip read anymore (ask my wife about my lipreading skills these days [or the lack thereof]...)

3) I can understand speech in the dark or around corners.

4) Use the phone just like any other person does. Finally got my own cell phone and loving it.

5) Can listen in loud noise situations all the day long.

6) No stress whatsoever in doing regular conversations all the day long.

7) It is important to have a good audi and a good CI center. UNC Medical is one heck of a place to get a CI...I will vouch for that anytime.

8) Can talk to my kids in the car and not look in the mirror. That is a great one.

9) Battery life isn't great. My CI takes three batteries (P675 types) every three days. I would prefer every week. Hopefully, that will get better with the newer models. FYI - I use 1800 cps.

10) While it is more sweat proof than my HA, it isn't as sweat proof as I would like. NC tends to be hot and muggy alot and I sweat with the best of them...so I have to take it off if I'm doing sweaty work which fortunately isn't all the time.

There are others but you wanted ten items.

I'm putting my creative cap on here to devise up a list. I'm still a newbie here!! :) It still has that new CI smell.

I took a mental health day today and slept in. Since I did not take anytime off from work when I had surgery(still on summer vacation) and activation(went back to work the same day), I am exhausted!!!

Came up with number 11 - I can talk on the phone and understand most.

1. I've learned to cover my ear when leaning over a water fountain.

2. I've learned to maintain upright posture when washing my hands.

3. I've learned to utter sentences that I never dreamed I would say like "I forgot to put my ear back on" or "Hello, I'm Abbie, I'm the bionic friend."

4. I've learned to know when my hearing aid is whistling before Super Mom hears it from 5 miles away. (she is particularly sensitive to hearing aid whistling.)

5. I've learned to understand people that are part of the lumberjack industry. (beards and extra long mustaches usually cause me to turn my head upside down so I can see what their top lip is doing)

6. I've learned to maintain my bionic ear and my hearing aid in their rightful place while hugging someone.

7. I've learned to walk a little softer in heels. (No wonder why people heard me from two floors up coming down the steps)

:)

Back