4. Compton, CA
5. Camden, NJ
6. Birmingham, AL
7. Cleveland, OH
8. Oakland, CA
9. Youngstown, OH
10. Gary, IN

St. Louis Named Most Dangerous U.S. City

ST. LOUIS (Oct. 30) - Just days after the St. Louis Cardinals won the top honor in Major League Baseball, their hometown jumped to first place on a list no one wants to lead: the most dangerous cities in the United States.

This Midwestern city has long been in the upper tiers of the annual ranking of the nation's safest and most dangerous cities, compiled by Morgan Quitno Press. Violent crime surged nearly 20 percent there this year, when the rate of such crimes rose much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to FBI figures released in June.

The ranking, being released Monday, came as the city was still celebrating Friday's World Series victory at the new Busch Stadium. St. Louis has been spending millions of dollars on urban renewal even as the crime rate climbs.

Mayor Francis Slay did not return calls seeking comment Sunday.

Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, a private research and publishing company specializing in state and city reference books, said he was not surprised to see St. Louis top the list, since it has been among the 10 most dangerous cities for years.

Morgan said the study looks at crime only within St. Louis city limits, with a population of about 330,000. It doesn't take into account the suburbs in St. Louis County, which has roughly 980,000 residents.

The safest city in 2005 was Brick, N.J., population about 78,000, followed by Amherst, N.Y., and Mission Viejo, Calif. The second most dangerous city was Detroit, followed by Flint, Mich., and Compton, Calif.

The national FBI figures released in June showed the murder rate in St. Louis jumped 16 percent in 2005, compared with 4.8 percent nationally. The overall violent crime rate increased nearly 20 percent, compared with 2.5 percent nationally.

While crime increased in all regions last year, the 5.7 percent rise in the 12 Midwestern states was at least three times higher than any other region, according to the FBI.

Visiting St. Louis on Thursday, FBI director Robert Mueller said it was too early to tell why some types of crime were rising faster in the Midwest.

Mueller said the FBI is working harder to form partnerships with police departments to launch programs like St. Louis' Safe Streets task force, which focuses police efforts on problematic neighborhoods.

This year's ranking was good news for Camden, N.J., which in 2005 was named the most dangerous city for the second year in a row.

Camden Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said Sunday she was thrilled to learn that her city no longer topped the most-dangerous list.

"You made my day!" said Faison, who has served since 2000. "There's a new hope and a new spirit."

St. Louis Named Most Dangerous U.S. City - AOL News

i read that in AOL news.. I was like wow! I have been to St. Louis few times. Its very beautiful there but hard to believe it is nbr 1 dangerous city in USA.. dang!

Detroit is on 2nd place of top 10 dangerous city, now make me to not go WWE WrestleMania 23 at Detroit on last week of March/first week of April

I live in St. Louis, MO and I love this River City - and I never really follow these rankings...

This will explain why:
NPR : Study Ranks St. Louis as Most Dangerous City

Talk of the Nation, October 30, 2006 · The private research firm Morgan Quitno Press recently published its annual rankings for the most dangerous cities in the United States. St. Louis came in first, followed by Detroit, Flint, Mich., and Compton, Calif. Criminologists and the FBI take issue with the study's methodology. Rankings like these may not be precise science, but they're likely to put a city's public relations team in overdrive.

If you wanna go ahead and believe the rankings, go ahead. I still love St. Louis and its sports teams, its attractions and the surroundings.

Smiles!
DD

nah, I don't believes that. I don't follow the rank. Stop worry too much about this.

1. St. Louis, MO
2, Detroit, MI
3. Flint, MI
4. Compton, CA
5. Camden, NJ
6. Birmingham, AL
7. Cleveland, OH
8. Oakland, CA
9. Youngstown, OH
10. Gary, IN

St. Louis Named Most Dangerous U.S. City

ST. LOUIS (Oct. 30) - Just days after the St. Louis Cardinals won the top honor in Major League Baseball, their hometown jumped to first place on a list no one wants to lead: the most dangerous cities in the United States.

This Midwestern city has long been in the upper tiers of the annual ranking of the nation's safest and most dangerous cities, compiled by Morgan Quitno Press. Violent crime surged nearly 20 percent there this year, when the rate of such crimes rose much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to FBI figures released in June.

The ranking, being released Monday, came as the city was still celebrating Friday's World Series victory at the new Busch Stadium. St. Louis has been spending millions of dollars on urban renewal even as the crime rate climbs.

Mayor Francis Slay did not return calls seeking comment Sunday.

Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, a private research and publishing company specializing in state and city reference books, said he was not surprised to see St. Louis top the list, since it has been among the 10 most dangerous cities for years.

Morgan said the study looks at crime only within St. Louis city limits, with a population of about 330,000. It doesn't take into account the suburbs in St. Louis County, which has roughly 980,000 residents.

The safest city in 2005 was Brick, N.J., population about 78,000, followed by Amherst, N.Y., and Mission Viejo, Calif. The second most dangerous city was Detroit, followed by Flint, Mich., and Compton, Calif.

The national FBI figures released in June showed the murder rate in St. Louis jumped 16 percent in 2005, compared with 4.8 percent nationally. The overall violent crime rate increased nearly 20 percent, compared with 2.5 percent nationally.

While crime increased in all regions last year, the 5.7 percent rise in the 12 Midwestern states was at least three times higher than any other region, according to the FBI.

Visiting St. Louis on Thursday, FBI director Robert Mueller said it was too early to tell why some types of crime were rising faster in the Midwest.

Mueller said the FBI is working harder to form partnerships with police departments to launch programs like St. Louis' Safe Streets task force, which focuses police efforts on problematic neighborhoods.

This year's ranking was good news for Camden, N.J., which in 2005 was named the most dangerous city for the second year in a row.

Camden Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said Sunday she was thrilled to learn that her city no longer topped the most-dangerous list.

"You made my day!" said Faison, who has served since 2000. "There's a new hope and a new spirit."

St. Louis Named Most Dangerous U.S. City - AOL News

Oh yeah ! I see on cnn yesterday in morning. I think... Man... Crimes are everywhere ! ugh...

M-:afro:

i read that in AOL news.. I was like wow! I have been to St. Louis few times. Its very beautiful there but hard to believe it is nbr 1 dangerous city in USA.. dang!

North St. Louis is worst neighborhood, high crime rate, alot of abandoned house and ghetto.

I'm sure that most murders are happen in North St. Louis and East St. Louis is bad area too.

nah, I don't believes that. I don't follow the rank. Stop worry too much about this.

Same here, I don't care about most dangerous or safe cities, and I'm surprised that Atlanta is no longer on 10 most dangerous cities and used on list about last few years ago.

I have few families in Birmingham and Atlanta, and I had been in both of cities but Birmingham is so horrible and worst as Detroit does with numerous of abandoned house and ghetto. Most of area in Atlanta are good except in South Atlanta and East Atlanta.

in 1999, Detroit had 19,000 anaboned houses. They had at least 800 arsons recorded in 1984, too.

Funny thing, when my father in law said our cities in this area are worst place to lives. Do u know why? because this place is a dumpster from other cities, they send bad people to here to live so they can have a better life for themselves which anger me. We have to fight back and send them back to them.

Yeah, the list does not always tell the story but I am really surprised Flint, Mich. made the list. I knew Detriot was a very dangerous city but I always thought Flint would be one of the better, good cities in Michigan. The rest of the list does not surprise me though.

Pacman said:
North St. Louis is worst neighborhood, high crime rate, alot of abandoned house and ghetto.

I'm sure that most murders are happen in North St. Louis and East St. Louis is bad area too.

Not really - St. Louis have been going thru urban renewal - the city have been tearing down abandoned houses/buildings, remodeling and renovating communites and cleaning up areas street by street. It is a long process, and it will not happen overnight.

East St. Louis is not considered part of St. Louis - it just happens to have the St. Louis name with East tacked on.

In fact, there is another link with the same kind - this one by the FBI.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see - there will always be different statistics - which one would be correct? *shrugs*

In fact, even the FBI doesn't even try to rank cities - they just collect information and publish it. This is the link to the website in question.

Crime in the United States 2005

Not really - St. Louis have been going thru urban renewal - the city have been tearing down abandoned houses/buildings, remodeling and renovating communites and cleaning up areas street by street. It is a long process, and it will not happen overnight.

East St. Louis is not considered part of St. Louis - it just happens to have the St. Louis name with East tacked on.

In fact, there is another link with the same kind - this one by the FBI.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see - there will always be different statistics - which one would be correct? *shrugs*

I don't said about all area of St. Louis but North St. Louis is only area that are dangerous, high crime rate and numerous of abandoned house. Only urban renewal is occured in Downtown St. Louis and Central St. Louis, and few other area.

I don't said about all area of St. Louis but North St. Louis is only area that are dangerous, high crime rate and numerous of abandoned house. Only urban renewal is occured in Downtown St. Louis and Central St. Louis, and few other area.

Urban renewal is going on in North St. Louis, also. They have been tearing down abandoned houses and cleaning up large areas - it is starting to look a little better in North StL.

Urban renewal is going on in North St. Louis, also. They have been tearing down abandoned houses and cleaning up large areas - it is starting to look a little better in North StL.

Really? I haven't been in St. Louis but only pass by freeway. I know that several deaf people are talk about what happen in North St. Louis.

Pacman said:
Really? I haven't been in St. Louis but only pass by freeway. I know that several deaf people are talk about what happen in North St. Louis.

I live here in St. Louis, that's why I know what's going on...smiles.

i have been to st louis few times and even pass there many times on my way to arkansas when growing up i never believe that st louis is a dangerous city but always believe the city is beautiful no matter it won't stop me from coming over there in future smile

I've been to St. Louis so many times I've lost count. I used to pass through St. Louis when I and my family go to Arkansas, too.

St. Louis--the city proper--has more crime than the 'burbs in the west, where I live, but I just don't see St. Louis being number one in crime.

Back