Who has a cI here

Leah

Reaction score
Hello all:
For thoose of you they have CI's which ones do you have? Do you love them? Can you hear more now then you did before with your hearing aids? Write Back Soon,
Thanks
Leah

What's your purpose in asking questions about CI's? Are you considering obtaining one for yourself or?
I can say that I do have a CI and don't have hearing aids because they were old and broken, plus I can't afford to get it fixed at this stage nor get a new one.

Iv'e got a nucleas 24g and a lot of the time i just want to throw it in the bin

i have had my CI for almost 4 years now. I wore hearing aids before and I am 10 times happier with the CI. I can hear so much better than ever before and it has given me confidence and freedom that I didnt have with my hearing aids. I am very proud of it!

Two years ago, I got the Nucleus*24 Contour. My life had improved in many ways, since my surgery. Most of all, it keeps getting better and better. :)

I had an excellent CI audiologist, and we worked really well together. She was great when we were in the programming stage. There were so many adjustments along the way until we got it to where the CI did its job. :applause:

As for hearing aids, they did the job that was needed when I had some hearing. I got the CI, when my deafness progressed.

i have a ci but never work well on me..i got me when i was 5 year old so it's not worth anymore for me..

I echo SweetThang's comments! :) I started wearing hearing aids when I was 15 (for a moderately-severe hearing loss). By the time I was 25 my hearing loss progressed to severe-profound. 2-3 years ago my hearing loss fell into the profound range and I could no longer hear or understand speech with hearing aids and an FM system. I received a CI (Nucleus 24C with 3G) last December and have been activated for 2 months. Although I'm still in the learning process of understanding what I hear through my CI, my life has changed for the better thanks to my implant! :) I can hear a knock at the door, birds singing, the rain -- even someone calling my name from across the room! For me, the difference between a CI and hearing aids is like night and day. Not everyone enjoys the same results but in my case, getting a CI was the best decision I ever made! :)

You know...I'd be a little more impressed with CI results if they listed results by etoilogy (cause of deafness) I think the CI is a good tool, but at the same time is a little overhyped. Not everyone hears well with the CI, just like not everyone hears well with hearing aids. I'm definitly OK with it for progressive deafness, and late-deafened people, and for people who don't get too much benifit from aids....but performance varies signifecently just as with hearing aids!

deafdyke: Although that would be a good starting point, it would still be difficult to determine how well a person will do with a CI since there are so many other variables that contribute to one's success: onset/duration of deafness, amount of residual hearing before implantation, age of language acquisition, the brain's ability to process what it hears, a person's willingness to devote the time necessary to relearn how to hear, etc.

I think those who are prelingually deaf should be warned ahead of time that they may receive limited benefit from a CI. Too often I see people singing the praises of the CI without giving equal attention to the problems/difficulties that may occur after CI surgery or activation. (I've been guilty of that myself. :( )

I think those who are prelingually deaf should be warned ahead of time that they may receive limited benefit from a CI. Too often I see people singing the praises of the CI without giving equal attention to the problems/difficulties that may occur after CI surgery or activation. (I've been guilty of that myself.
Yes, especially prelingally deaf with little to no benifit from hearing aids.

Back