Using sign language interpreter during a medical exam

liz023

Reaction score
Hello!

I think this question may be better directed at women. But I see a gynecologist each year but never used a sign language interpreter because of privacy issues. Every time I have an appointment, it's a wellness exam which I prefer to have privacy, meaning no interpreter and I read lips well so no problem. But because of covid, the doctor and nurse wear masks so unable to read lips! I could use the interpreter before getting started but once started, I need privacy. When the doctor is done, she just leaves the room for me to get dressed and I never see her again that day. She usually talks to me during the exam which used to be fine because we weren't wearing masks but we are now so it's impossible to read her lips during the exam and again, I don't see her anymore after the exam because she leaves the room to for me to get dressed and I leave her office. I think she moves on to the next patient when she leaves so not sure I can get her back after I get dressed.

Suggestions?

The way you have written in composing your post I get the impression that you read at least English just fine. Do you happen to have a cell phone that runs the Android OS (I do not have an iPhone so do not know how what is available for them works.)?

One thing I find really helpful is make sure you have the app Live Transcribe on it. Start that app with a mic on a cord attached to the phone. It will tell you when it has switched to that mic. You can hold your phone at an angle you find easy to read and the doctor can hold or clip on the mic. Some of the newer phones with this OS even come with that app loaded. This is the way I prefer to set it up as I don't have to hold the phone where the doctor can speak into the mic in the phone and then move the phone to where I can read what was said. It will pickup what both of you said. Use a search for it as there are a number of web sites that have information about it and other similar apps. Of course, the doctor's office is not the only place this can be used and really be helpful

Some of the newer phones even come with Live Transcribe already on it otherwise it can be downloaded from the Play Store for free. I am under the impression that there is something similar available for iPhone but that it is not free. As I said I do not have an iPhone so know nothing about what is available for them.

Feel free to ask questions.

Hello!

I think this question may be better directed at women. But I see a gynecologist each year but never used a sign language interpreter because of privacy issues. Every time I have an appointment, it's a wellness exam which I prefer to have privacy, meaning no interpreter and I read lips well so no problem. But because of covid, the doctor and nurse wear masks so unable to read lips! I could use the interpreter before getting started but once started, I need privacy. When the doctor is done, she just leaves the room for me to get dressed and I never see her again that day. She usually talks to me during the exam which used to be fine because we weren't wearing masks but we are now so it's impossible to read her lips during the exam and again, I don't see her anymore after the exam because she leaves the room to for me to get dressed and I leave her office. I think she moves on to the next patient when she leaves so not sure I can get her back after I get dressed.

Suggestions?

Either you can use Otter app or you can ask your ob\gyn to pull down her mask. My previous ob/gyn and current ob/gyn have no problem doing it for me. I delievered my daughter 15 months ago. Where I currently live is masks are not required in the hospitals anymore. It is a choice now.

Back