Interpreting with new technology

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Community Press - Interpreting with new technology

Interpreting Online, I.O., is the sign language interpreting mode of the future. The Ohio Alliance of Community Centers for the Deaf is introducing an easy to use sign language interpreting service that no longer requires an on-site interpreter.

The service uses Internet video conferencing and Web-based technology to link people who are deaf to 160 interpreters throughout the state. The Hearing Speech & Deaf Center of Greater Cincinnati, with a location in Eastgate, is one of the 10 centers participating in this program through their Community Services for the Deaf department.

Once the equipment is installed, a person simply makes an appointment and an interpreter will be available to facilitate communication using the video and camera equipment. To install the system, all that is needed is a high-speed Internet connection, a dedicated line and a TV or computer monitor. I.O. is affordable and easy to use. With the installed equipment, anyone can communicate across the United States. The costs associated with frequent live interpreters are much more than the cost of using I.O.

Operating hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For information, call 266-4145.

Back