How to cope when your child moves far away?

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
My sweet, sweet daughter just got accepted to Trinity College, Dublin Ireland. I am very proud of her and I know this is going to be a great experience for her.
She was waiting to see if her boyfriend got accepted to a business school there. Well, they called him this morning and interviewed him via skype.

I've had a pit in my stomach ever since she told me she might be moving. It looks like it is going to happen now. Her and I are very, very close. This is graduate school so it will just be for one year. Hopefully after that she will move back. We have a ton of relatives there that I have never met. This might be a good chance for her to meet some of them.

I know I have to be strong and supportive so why am I sitting here crying?:aw:

We have totally different personalities, so I can't help. :(

When my daughter & SIL moved across country to UT, I was online booking my first long-distant train trip. When she talked late last year or early this year about the possibility they might move to Ireland, I was online getting ideas of the cost to fly over there. Now they are living here in DE until his health is good (he's doing well after his heart surgery) & then he'll start looking for that corporate job that will move them out of the area....and I'll be planning my next trip.

Last edited:
Find a new hobby or save some money to go visit your and family in Ireland .

Maybe find a way to do some volunteer work that interests you, like with animal rescue, to take your mind off yourself.

It's Hard, no doubt about it.....I've done it...some of my family has done it...and inasmuch as we (parents/siblings) want and try to keep them close...they need to spread their wings and fly.....Give yourself time to cry...then a little talking to...that she will be back.....and your faith that she will be just fine....you gotta' believe that...in a few weeks you will be feeling a little better Angel.

I don't quite understand having "different personalities" and how that makes it OK not to be sad. Of course if my health allows we will go visit. Once a year vs once a week is a big change. Like I said I will totally support her decision but I will miss her like crazy.

Just tell her how much you are proud and always will support her no matter what. it would give her to feel secure and will keep in touch with you often.

I just meant that I do not have the same closeness with my daughters that you have. Therefore I can't empathize with you and offer advice.

I think it's perfectly fine for you to be sad.

My sweet, sweet daughter just got accepted to Trinity College, Dublin Ireland. I am very proud of her and I know this is going to be a great experience for her.
She was waiting to see if her boyfriend got accepted to a business school there. Well, they called him this morning and interviewed him via skype.

I've had a pit in my stomach ever since she told me she might be moving. It looks like it is going to happen now. Her and I are very, very close. This is graduate school so it will just be for one year. Hopefully after that she will move back. We have a ton of relatives there that I have never met. This might be a good chance for her to meet some of them.

I know I have to be strong and supportive so why am I sitting here crying?:aw:

That's a normal feeling...but my time in graduate school was three years...I don't think I've ever heard of anyone completing the program in one year. Either the work load proves too much at once, the courses you need don't always get offerered when you'd like them and then there's a restriction on how many courses you can take per semester, so for many it's two to three years.

She can Skpe can't she? It's healthy to admit you'll be lost without her but try and find something to distract you from her absence. Maybe working in an animal shelter, food pantry...it helps to do something positive.

Laura

Her and I have always been close. Then after I got sick we became even closer. Out of the three kids she is the one that loves to plan family get togethers. She works close to my hubbies job and they meet for lunch often. I'm extremely lucky because my kids actually enjoy spending time with us. I want to spend as much time as I can with all of my family.

I still hang out with my mom at least once a week. It's just how we are. If and when she goes, of course I will do whatever it takes to stay connected.

Car clubs everywhere are dominated by males. Maybe join 1. They'll teach you everything you want to know about turbos.

Well it is official, their moving to Dublin Ireland. Now she says their moving in 10-12 weeks. She is coming over tomorrow to talk things through with us.

Need to get my passport updated so I can go see Ireland and visit with her.
She deserves this experience and has worked very hard to get to where she is at. Looks like we will be using skype a lot. I sure am going to miss her and so will her brother and sister.

If my daughter moves to Dublin, Ireland. I would move there so I can stay close to her.

Back