events

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
is it difficult getting captioning for events, performances, etc.........

For me it seems like its easier for them to give me ASL interpreter but I am not fluent in ASL and I would like captioning so I can easily look at the screen and at the show.....

also does your (school or others) club have captioning or interpreter???

RIT has interpreters and captioning at the NTID graduation ceremonies. To honor the graduating NTID students, the president of RIT took time to learn some sign language and sign the opening commencement. What a kewl guy! :thumb:

during my time when i graduated, we had voice interpeters and sign interps and yep. we even had a spanish interp cuz family was spanish so this gal we know knows three langauges and went on to be a CDI trilingual interp for the midwest, haven't heard from her since.

BUT most caption related stuff ususally happen at MAJOR events im not sure exactly where but sometimes they have court interp and caption combined.

For events: You'd have to request a captionist at least 3 months in advance (for better chances of getting one). I had one at my HS graduation (I'm the only one who had to use it.. but the neat thing is they had a big captioning thing so the audience could see it too)

It takes more time to request a captionist because there are very few captionists available. I know in Santa Barbara they only had 3 qualified captionists (one of them had to drive 30 miles to come into SB). Court reporters and captionists are not the same thing... they both have different 'languages' 'coding' and methods of doing it. Sometimes they might request a court reporter, but it would not be as through as a captionist would be.

I'm just curious.. do you use a captionist for your classes?? If not, it may be because they just can not afford it.. it is really expensive!

Back