can deaf persons hear their thoughts??!?!

That was what my question was pertaining to -- whether or not she had ever heard at any point in her life -- because if not, I dont quite get how you can concieve how sounds are supposed to sound, nevermind punctuation.. ie: how do you know what 'a' sounds like, if you've never heard the sound? People can learn to lipread and even speak without having ever heard sound, through cued speech or other speech therapy methods - but I dont think that would enable them to 'think' in sound.. maybe they 'think' in lipreading? smile.
I dont know.

VamPyroX said:
Hearing thoughts depends on how they perceive their thoughts. Remember, some deaf people may not know exactly how a word is pronounced. Saying it is almost like thinking it, unless they are spelling it out in their heads instead of saying it in their head. As I'm typing this, I'm talking to myself. I can talk for myself, so when I think of the words in my head... I can feel myself thinking as if I was talking. There will be times when I'm thinking and spelling instead of talking.

fw001 said:
So.. you're profoundly deaf, dont wear hearing aids.. have you ever been able to hear?

I wear my hearing aid everyday.. When I'm not wearing it like going swimming, before bedtime, waking up in the am.. I do get all that voices rushing in my head constantly.. I guess its all coming from when I had my hearing aid on.. whenever I pick up sounds.. then take it out and everything is silent.. I get all the voices.

With hearing aid.. I can hear only about 70%
without in both ears are about 105 to 110%

RebelGirl said:
I wear my hearing aid everyday.. When I'm not wearing it like going swimming, before bedtime, waking up in the am.. I do get all that voices rushing in my head constantly.. I guess its all coming from when I had my hearing aid on.. whenever I pick up sounds.. then take it out and everything is silent.. I get all the voices.

With hearing aid.. I can hear only about 70%
without in both ears are about 105 to 110%

Ur serious, How come they told me HA did not benefits me when I asked new one long time ago. Your truly lucky if it works on you. :)

I can hear in my thoughts. (In my head talking w/me) espically
My ears was kept echoes (repeatly) not sure barely understand.. most the time in my head kept talking w/me.. sound alike funny but I'm not crazy..

I read my thoughts and sometime sign. No voice.
I read my thoughts as if I am watching CC in my mind... :shock: yepper-- to show you how much the impact the CC made in my life (got my first CC box when I was 4 yr old)...

The only close my thoughts would be vocal was when my thoughts are being lipsynced. NO voice... just my imaginary lips moving to each word of my "mental CC"...

Somebody in my HS did ask me how do I think.. I was like, "um, I can think like everybody" and took offence. He rephrased his question: "What do you think-- in voice or ...?" I got it and told him that I think mainly in ASL and written words being "typed out". The interpreter doubted me and wanted to correct me ... :roll: that interp was totally inept with Deaf culture...

Sometime I think in abstract... I will want to say something but I find it very hard time to say it in English or even in ASL.. I KNOW what I am thinking but I have to disassemble it for somebody to understand me... There is not always a tangnent element to my thoughts... it is like a "feeling" of that thought that only I do understand, no body else. Ah I think I have alienated more people after making this remark.

Your head is talking to you? :crazy:

Bullym0m said:
I can hear in my thoughts. (In my head talking w/me) espically
My ears was kept echoes (repeatly) not sure barely understand.. most the time in my head kept talking w/me.. sound alike funny but I'm not crazy..

jazzy said:
Ur serious, How come they told me HA did not benefits me when I asked new one long time ago. Your truly lucky if it works on you. :)

I've been wearing hearing aids since I was 9 months old (not that I remember but my mother told me) So I guess that helped alot to pick up sounds starting at an early age. :dunno:

What are your hearing loss percentage for both ears? Have they tried putting on hearing aids to see if you're able to hear? Perhaps, digital? I'm not sure why they wouldn't help you..

fw001 said:
Your head is talking to you? :crazy:

She's not crazy.. she isn't the only one.. I'm one of them. She stated "my head is talking WITH me) I get those too.

I think something that nobody has ever clarified in this thread is how hearing people think, and how it compares to the way deaf people think. People who are born hearing and remain hearing at least to the age of 5 (maybe even younger) have an internal monologue, a voice inside their heads that is him/her thinking. It dictates people's writing and word order in spoken language; this is how hearing people know when something "sounds" right, whether or not it has been spoken out loud. It is also how most American hearing people learn all the crazy rules of English.
From everything I've learned, people born deaf or those who become deaf very early in life do not have that internal monologue. They may think in signs or visually see words; and they may even be able to write or speak in nearly perfect English, but they still think differently. I have known some deaf people who have to physically sign to themselves their most complex thoughts. I have known others who appear to think like hearing people, but if we have a discussion on the topic, I realize they don't. It's really interesting, and really does show that there are some true differences between deaf and hearing people.

interesting topic.. hmm.. i am hoh myself.. i do think with voice out my thoughts .. i dont sign out to the words or anything like that. i always hear voices in my mind.. wishing.. dreaming, or what shall i do today? always hear voices constantly.. never can get rid of those? lol.. grrr.. oh yeah i learned to talk before i learned to sign..

Off the topics.. but im curious..
hmm.. my mom told me something strange.. she said god talked to her telepathy.. i told her really? why is that i dont hear him?? she cant answer me to that question?? but why is that in my dreams.. i do talk to dead people.. i can connect to them telepathy?? i talked and signed to my cousin as she was telling me to tell her daddy and her momma and everyone not to worry about her.. shes ok.. and is happy in heaven and that she will see everyone again one day.. then she told me thank you for being my best friend.. i will miss you and i love you.. i will see you someday.. we hugged.. then she walked away and disappeared..

just like my twins.. i was in a bad accident.. i was knocked out.. my spirit was floating above the truck and tree watching down there.. i saw my body laying- my leg was stuck under the dashboard.. my friend's face down on the wheel knocked out? anyway.. the light came.. and all the angels were all standing up waiting.. out came my twins came to me and told me its not time to go.. God told me to tell you to stay here.. we love you and miss you.. but no u cant go... u have to STAY here.. i said ok.. and i hugged them and told them i love them so much.. they said the same thing back to me.. i went back into my body.. and woke up with all pains around me.. ugh.. :(

So I could undy them very clearly.. no signs?? i guess everyone are different.. hmm..

no i dont think all of us are crazy when it come to thinking our thoughts and voice it out?? i think thats normal.. maybe not to others.. :)

Luckysmile23 said:
interesting topic.. hmm.. i am hoh myself.. i do think with voice out my thoughts .. i dont sign out to the words or anything like that. i always hear voices in my mind.. wishing.. dreaming, or what shall i do today? always hear voices constantly.. never can get rid of those? lol.. grrr.. oh yeah i learned to talk before i learned to sign..

Off the topics.. but im curious..
hmm.. my mom told me something strange.. she said god talked to her telepathy.. i told her really? why is that i dont hear him?? she cant answer me to that question?? but why is that in my dreams.. i do talk to dead people.. i can connect to them telepathy?? i talked and signed to my cousin as she was telling me to tell her daddy and her momma and everyone not to worry about her.. shes ok.. and is happy in heaven and that she will see everyone again one day.. then she told me thank you for being my best friend.. i will miss you and i love you.. i will see you someday.. we hugged.. then she walked away and disappeared..

just like my twins.. i was in a bad accident.. i was knocked out.. my spirit was floating above the truck and tree watching down there.. i saw my body laying- my leg was stuck under the dashboard.. my friend's face down on the wheel knocked out? anyway.. the light came.. and all the angels were all standing up waiting.. out came my twins came to me and told me its not time to go.. God told me to tell you to stay here.. we love you and miss you.. but no u cant go... u have to STAY here.. i said ok.. and i hugged them and told them i love them so much.. they said the same thing back to me.. i went back into my body.. and woke up with all pains around me.. ugh.. :(

So I could undy them very clearly.. no signs?? i guess everyone are different.. hmm..

no i dont think all of us are crazy when it come to thinking our thoughts and voice it out?? i think thats normal.. maybe not to others.. :)

Luckysmile,

You have NDE!
You can check it out:
http://www.nderf.org/archives_second_half_2004.htm
I really love this url and still not finished reading... their NDE.
Extactly what you did descriptation.

interesting.. thanks for the link, bully.. i will read that later.. its a long reading.. wow.. never thought it is NDE? perhaps that is what i had nde instead of dream normal? hmm..

thanks again... :)

RebelGirl said:
I've been wearing hearing aids since I was 9 months old (not that I remember but my mother told me) So I guess that helped alot to pick up sounds starting at an early age. :dunno:

What are your hearing loss percentage for both ears? Have they tried putting on hearing aids to see if you're able to hear? Perhaps, digital? I'm not sure why they wouldn't help you..

110 percent hear loss in both ears. I worn HA when I was 3 till about 12 years old. I stopped wear it cuz people kept tell me to turn the sound low cuz I used to turn volume so I can feel it. It whistled alot so I stopped wear it. As I got older and asked for new one. Audiologist told me "No" cuz it would not work on me. Digital HA, do u think it will work on me since haven't use ha for many years?

Back