Youtube gets AUTOMATIC CC videos

netrox

Reaction score
This is amazing.. about time!

"Today, YouTube is rolling out automatic captioning for all videos uploaded to the service, using Google's speech recognition service. You can see a demo in the video above.

Automatic captioning with Google speech recognition was launched in November. This only had a few selected education partners to test out automatic captioning, until now.

There are many reasons for captions on every video: ESL viewers, people in other countries, searchability, not wanting to disturb others, loud locations and automatic translations to other countries."

YouTube Gets Automatic Captioning For All Videos - Youtube automatic captioning - Gizmodo

Too bad they cannot CC the content of deaf vloggers as there are a number of ADers who'd benefit from that.

Yes, yesterday I noticed youtube have cc but when I turn it on and nothing showing up the cc.

I had a look at some videos at my end, from what I understand, NOT ALL are captioned... it takes time but noticed some videos which was already captioned doesn't even work down here.... maybe it is restricted to the U.S? :dunno:

Example:
click link of Youtube
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-IomabysU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Nice, I wish that Netflix would follow like that.

That's great! I wonder how accurate the CC is. (Just curious, not nitpicking.)

it has some grammar issues and picks up words for others...so it is still better than before. They are still ironing out the knicks and improve the technology.

it has some grammar issues and picks up words for others...so it is still better than before. They are still ironing out the knicks and improve the technology.

That reminds me of captioning when I was growing up in the 80s. It amazes me how much better it is now!

But yeah, better captions with occasional mistakes than no captions at all.

Yup, pretty same for srt files that has grammar errors and capitalization errors so no big deal since it is better than no CC.

Too bad they cannot CC the content of deaf vloggers as there are a number of ADers who'd benefit from that.
Yeah.

If us deafies are going to complain about captioning so we can understand hearing people speaking, then hearies have a right to complain about captioning so they can understand us deafies signing. :thumb:

At least you can probably still make out what was meant to be said with an error in captioning and visual context. :)

Back