Your School Story Experience to Share

Oh I remember getting "black ball" if I didn't wear my FM system when I was in elementry school. I didn't get that often because even back then by the time I was in 4th-5th grade, I didn't really use FM system very much. Like some others mentioned, it must have been the IEP thing that got me out of it. I went back on it in middle school to give it another try... try I did and it didn't turn out well, so I knew it wasn't for me. FM system isn't for everybody. I had a college roommate who was also deaf at a hearing christian college and she relied on FM system and note takers. She was very embrassed about being deaf or labeled as hard of hearing that she goes to the extreme to pass off as an hearing person as much as possible. I found that kinda sad, although we got along pretty well back then and we still chat every now and then. :)

Again, good luck! I hope you get what you wanted so that you would be able to focus better in school. (FM system was a distraction for me.) Take care! :)

One thing for sure, yes, FM system is a distraction for me as well.

I had hearing aids in school and no IEP. Didn't know anything about them until I had my own child. Maybe they didn't have them back then.

Did not have an FM box, so I can't relate that bit, but I had a positive time mostly with my HA's. I didn't like them when I was 7 & 8, but at 9 & 10 I was fine. Did not have them after that due to an unfortunate issue with the school janitor. Teachers were always conscientious to make sure I had my HA's on when I needed them.

Well, my hearing aids is no problem for me. I like listening with them and it relaxes me. However, I do understand, it's hard to get a clear sound with old hearing aids and such. I'm glad today is better. Hm, I believe the FM system wasn't around until mid to late 1980s. I remember how frustrating it was using the oldest FM system with the wiring and everything. I'm so glad wiring is over for me now and everyone else.

Wirelessly posted

they are saying it is illegal because it sorta is. If it is written in your iep that they must provide an fm, they must give you one. You need to have an iep with you, your parents, and the school. If you don't want to use it, it needs taken off the iep so the school isn't out of compliance with your iep.

Yeah, but that's only when it's "required" to use it, right? Mine isn't required to use. It's more of "Use it when I need it" and everyone keeps forcing me to wear it. That thing is nothing but a distraction. My parents understands the crisis I'm going through, but they won't even say anything. I'm afraid teachers won't even listen to me and only one person who does is my guidance counselor. She understood that I just want to be treated like everyone else in the class without having extra stuff carried on me.

I hated my FM system and I would purposely break it so I wouldnt wear it. It did nothing for me anyway. Geez..

My classmates and I rejoiced when we were told that we will no longer be made to wear FM and that was before we entered 3rd grade. Truthfully, I never remembered benefitting from it.

So, you got to be strong and tell everyone that you as a deaf person who what is right and what is not right for you, and that no one has the right to force you to do or wear something against your will. You could say it's a breach of your civil liberties or whatever.

It's alright, I'm studying ASL mostly myself and taking it slowly, but some is triggering my childhood ASL memories. Anyway, I am provided for notes *except for math unless I ask for it* and it's already on my IEP when I need it. I have been thinking of getting an interpreter, but I need more knowledge and do interpreter also allow lipreading? Sometimes it helps doing it at the same time and I become knowing it naturally.

Good question- an interpeter should be able to match to your needs- be it lipreading at some degree perhaps, ASL, SEE, PSE, etc. When I was "interviewing" for an interpreter to see how I would feel with that person before school started ( I transfered to different high school starting my junior year) and the interpreter asked me what style I prefered. So you ought be able to tell your preference. You're learning ASL on your own... awesome! Keep that up and I really like that attitude ;) Again, you could consider getting an interpreter for yourself. That's great that you're already using notetaker (I totally understand about the math thing :) . )

Talk soon...

I hated my FM system and I would purposely break it so I wouldnt wear it. It did nothing for me anyway. Geez..

I wish I could, but I have to explain my action anyway unless somehow it actually becomes an accident. So, it would be my dream to see that happening.

Good question- an interpeter should be able to match to your needs- be it lipreading at some degree perhaps, ASL, SEE, PSE, etc. When I was "interviewing" for an interpreter to see how I would feel with that person before school started ( I transfered to different high school starting my junior year) and the interpreter asked me what style I prefered. So you ought be able to tell your preference. You're learning ASL on your own... awesome! Keep that up and I really like that attitude ;) Again, you could consider getting an interpreter for yourself. That's great that you're already using notetaker (I totally understand about the math thing :) . )

Talk soon...

Okay, so they are willing to help out. That does sound fair and good deal, I will look right into it and hope to find one. Thanks for telling me more about interpreter!

My classmates and I rejoiced when we were told that we will no longer be made to wear FM and that was before we entered 3rd grade. Truthfully, I never remembered benefitting from it.

So, you got to be strong and tell everyone that you as a deaf person who what is right and what is not right for you, and that no one has the right to force you to do or wear something against your will. You could say it's a breach of your civil liberties or whatever.

I have been strong, they are just ignoring me and think, "Oh, she does need it" and I'm sick of it. I know I have my own right to not wear, the only time I would not wear it if it's a distraction/static problem/feeling sick - like ear infection or headache sort of thing to get out of it.

I would recommend first talking about the FM issues with your parents. Then once they are "on board" then have them set an IEP meeting to discuss the use of FM in the classroom, and that it can be used at "your discretion" (I'd use it a few times a month for a few months just to show them that you're co-operative & willing to use it under certain situations)

The bottom line is that unless your parents are going to back you on this and set up and IEP meeting changing the "rules" it's going to be a difficult and frustrating battle.

Talk to your parents, get them on your side ... and then making the change will be EASY (actaully, your parents likely only need to call the school and send you with a signed note saying that the FM unit is to be used at YOUR discretion from now on & if the school teachers/staff etc have any questions/concerns to call your parents at home during specific hours etc.)

Okay, so they are willing to help out. That does sound fair and good deal, I will look right into it and hope to find one. Thanks for telling me more about interpreter!

I would recommend first talking about the FM issues with your parents. Then once they are "on board" then have them set an IEP meeting to discuss the use of FM in the classroom, and that it can be used at "your discretion" (I'd use it a few times a month for a few months just to show them that you're co-operative & willing to use it under certain situations)

The bottom line is that unless your parents are going to back you on this and set up and IEP meeting changing the "rules" it's going to be a difficult and frustrating battle.

Talk to your parents, get them on your side ... and then making the change will be EASY (actaully, your parents likely only need to call the school and send you with a signed note saying that the FM unit is to be used at YOUR discretion from now on & if the school teachers/staff etc have any questions/concerns to call your parents at home during specific hours etc.)

What Anij said- very true... once you have your parents on your side and they'll make things smoothier for you. My parents were on my side. :)

No problem about the interpreter thing- after all they're doing their job and you ought to make sure that YOU understand all of the informations that are being carried out. :)

Sorry I got back to you few days late. Hope that everything goes well.

I hated wearing mine- I couldn't hear class discussions, only the teacher. I got told off a lot for not wearing it.

I also hated wearing my FM system in high school. We did as much as we can to pretend that we were wearing our FM's. We did often get caught out. It didn't really help much, I didn't think so.

Hey, just a suggestion, are you young enough to go off to a Deaf School program or Deaf summer camp? That could improve your ASL a lot!
Oh,and I used FM until I was eleven. Parents and I used to have SCREAMING fights about using it. It might help some people, but it does seem to be a hit or miss thing in the helping.

Well, I always tell everything to my parents about the FM System and my dad did say he would go to the school and talk to them about it. I am aware of changing the IEP and such, but the thing was my parents never seem to bring up the facts and it's hard to say something like that. It's mostly my deaf teacher is what I have to worry about more. I just...feel like if I say something, she might get mad and force me to wear it again. I don't like it when others make me do it. But, I do plan to remind my dad to work things out somehow.

Hey, just a suggestion, are you young enough to go off to a Deaf School program or Deaf summer camp? That could improve your ASL a lot!
Oh,and I used FM until I was eleven. Parents and I used to have SCREAMING fights about using it. It might help some people, but it does seem to be a hit or miss thing in the helping.

I don't think I could be able to go to a deaf school program because there isn't one available for me in NY. However, Deaf summer Camp I tried to save money, but it was too difficult and I never managed to accomplish my goal. So, now, I'm a bit over the age. I am 19 years old. So, I don't know much about deaf camp or willing to pay anything expensive at the moment.

Well, I can understand where you are coming from, but the thing is...my dad thinks I am having a war with school on the FM system. I barely say anything to anyone but two people. My guidance counselor and the librarian (I am friend with her, so she understands a bit). They can see how much it affects me every day and I'm sick of the routine to suffer.

I use a Phonak EasyLink FM system. At my school, I am the one that initiates the FM use. Every day, in each of my classes, I am the one to hand it to my teacher. If I don't they usually will discreetly ask me about it, but most likely only because they know it's in my IEP. You have a right to decide what works best for you. I usually turn one boot on FM, the other to pick up the rest of the classroom. Easier that way. You can also look into CART, which is live captioning in class. Your school would hire a captionist, then you would have a laptop on your desk, showing you what is being typed. This depends, though, on availability, your hearing loss, TOTD, etc. Talk to your ToTD about FM use. Maybe go on trial. Try without it for a week, see what happens? You should be able to access it when you choose to, not have it be a required thing. Don't feel a stigma about it.

Back